What is the difference between...

Hello,

What is the difference between TribesNext and this:
http://t2.plugh.us/
Why do we have 2 of those tribes versions?

Regards,
Daniel

Comments

• That is a cheap hack with terrible feature support and multiple security flaws. TribesNext is a much higher level patch with no such security flaws and support that is way beyond what the other guys can provide.

That was actually made by the same guys who made TribesNext, and it was intended to be a temporary solution to allow people to still play before TribesNext came out and fixed the problems for real. Apparently, some people weren't smart enough to realize that, and tried to continue promoting it and make it look like something it's not.
  • Kryand, that was actually made by Rain, not the TribesNext group...

Bradan, the main difference between t2.plugh.us and TribesNext would be the user accounts and upcoming community features (clans/t-mail/browser) revival.
  • Kryand, that was actually made by Rain, not the TribesNext group...
    Yep, it was just a temporary fix when master servers shut down to allow players to connect via LAN. It has nothing to do with Bouncer or TN.
  • Well it's not like I clicked on it. I vaguely remembered the URL and thought it was one of those TCMS ripoffs.
  • Rain's list was a stopgap until we got TribesNext online. The official servers went down on the 3rd of November, and we brought TribesNext online about 2 months later. I think Krash may have helped Rain with some scripting. Rain helped us out by finding a potential security vulnerability in the TribesNext design prior to launch.

There are a couple of servers which never migrated to TribesNext, because they disagreed with our design, personalities, or philosophy. The ones listed on Rain's that aren't also listed on TribesNext make up less than 3% of the active userbase during peak hours though (are empty more than 70% of the time, and have less than 4 players 90% of the time).

FYI: I've been contacted by a programmer who claims to have access to GG's source code and has been in discussions with them since the rights acquisition to start making improvements to the game. If the claims are true, TribesNext will work towards improving the game on the source code level, and become the "official" version of Tribes 2.
  • Awesome!
  • If the claims are true, TribesNext will work towards improving the game on the source code level, and become the "official" version of Tribes 2.

Sounds like a big if, but if it is true, sick!