Poor framerates using D3D versus OpenGL

Is anybody else experiencing extremely poor framerates using D3D mode versus OpenGL? For example, if I run OpenGL with graphic settings maxed out, I get 250+ fps. However, with the same settings using D3D mode, I get only around 45 fps. Does anybody know why I am experiencing this huge discrepency?

My basic system specs:
Windows Vista x64
Intel Core Duo 8400 (3.0 ghz)
ATI 4850

Note that this is not an affinity issue problem. I was also experiencing the exception error in OpenGL until I disabled Catalyst A.I.

Comments

• Well, two different apis. D3d is often slower in apps coded primarily opengl, which t2 is, let alone taking two lines of code in d3d to do what is done in one in opengl. What settings are enabled, aa, af, etc? Are they the same in each api?
    Way I look at it is if you play d3d mostly, run ati, if opengl, nvidia.
  • This has always been an issue in Tribes 2. The D3D renderer is just a wrapper around OGL (in other words, RIDICULOUSLY SLOW). If you can, just use OpenGL.
  • Thanks for the information Arklon. I actually came across some misinformation in a Google search that said exactly the opposite, so I was worried there was something wrong with the software on my system.