Beating an (Apparently) Dead Horse: The UE Error

I am attempting to assist my father with running this game, online, and hitting the same wall, no matter the actions taken. It's the same thing I keep reading in every post I've poured through: Hit the start-up, screen blacks, and comes up with the error. It's Exception 0000005 at Address 00000001.

I have been using this site's steps, in conjuncture with another's:

http://wiki.guygalluzzo.com/index.php5?title=Tribes_2_Setup#Unhandled_Exceptions

We have applied both patches, bypassed the automatic Sierra updater through the shortcut, deleted DSO files, updated graphics, added the "$pref::skipintro = 1;
$pref::Video::displayDevice = "D3D";"-lines to the ClientPrefs file, searched for the private & public files to remove (were none), and I may have shaken chicken bones over the computer in a Voodoo ritual as well. This has taken some time.

The problem may lay in the computer, itself.
Specs:
HP Pavilion
GenuineIntel
Pentium(r) III proc
127MB RAM

Running on Windows ME 4.90.3000, the proc is still measured in MHz. Still, he recalls the original game playing fine on this back in the day, and I do not see any reason why it should not, now. Though, I concede, cavemen probably have more advanced desktops carved from granite.

I do apologize for yet another request from this common problem people seem to be having, but I have exhausted all avenues I can find, and think of, to solve this. We appreciate any help anyone could give us. If it helps any, the game works fine, offline. The issue seems to be with launching the online version. Perhaps we must wait for the offical patch?

Comments

• The wiki page you linked to is not for the version of Tribes 2 offered by this site.

Download (or if you already have it) and install from the GameSpy Installer. There is a bit torrent download, and a few mirrors available in the download section. After installing that successfully, try running it in LAN mode.

If it succeeds, download and install the 2 MB TribesNext patch.

The UE you're referencing is most likely related to the video card, but without any information as to what driver or card is installed in the system, and without a clear idea of how/where you installed T2, that's all I can suggest for now.
  • I'm having the same problem, I reinstalled the game, and that just delayed the problem for a bit, and then I downloaded the newest drivers for my video card off of the manufacture's site, and that delayed the problem for much less, and now it's back and I have the patch.
    I have am ATI 4870x2 and the driver version that I have is 9.6