Tribes 2?

Tribes 2? Hmm... Sounds like a cool game.. ;)

Comments

• It's a cool game. Check it out.
  • dont bother, its lame old grafix an no deagle
  • It was cool for a long time, then they added a mod that introduced the old ski bug from T1, and pretty much killed it.

:D
  • i can't find any servers running de_dust or ctf_2fort

this game sucks
  • Red Shifter set us up the bomb
  • you can avoid the ski bug if you know how
  • I am interested in knowing how. Pretty sure it's part of the engine, has to do with velocity, angle of terrain skiing, and collision detection, which would be speed basically.
  • As far as the terrain goes, stay away from flat areas. The deadstops are not random, so if you need to ski on a flat area you could potentially memorize the safe spots to ski. Skiing along structures is more annoying, especially when there's a deadstop directly on the flag stand (which is sadly very common), but most of the time you can fly over it and grab the top of the flag without touching the stand.
  • Ski bug as in where you crash into "nothing"??
  • The player collision code will sometimes run in to Phantom Objects. This was fixed in TGE a few years ago with a re-write of the extruded polylist code.
  • this also happens in base to me..
  • edited July 2009
    I have seen that enabling triple buffering in the vid card control panel to reduce almost completely the dread deadstop. The price one pays with triple buffer is greater latency, 10ms or greater will typically be added to your reaction time (not ping) at 100fps, less at higher fps, more at lower. I know this sounds weird as it's a game engine bug, but in my case with an nvid card, it almost never happens with triple buffer. Keep in mind that 10ms can mean life or death in a game like t2.

If one has antialiasing enabled, that more or less kinda sorta takes the place of triple buffer, but not quite. And triple buffering is not used full time in some cases, but when the driver determines to buffer. So you may still get the deadstop every once in a while with triple buffer enabled.
  • I think you're imagining that.
  • kryand is correct, also if you absolutely have to hit a flat spot make sure you do not press the forward key or maybe any directional key while contacting the flat surface, i've found this to be helpful in not deadstopping. you can use spacebar and jets
    also i tend to bounce off certain flagstands by coasting in and not touching the keyboard and when i hit the stand smack the spacebar and then try to go

on a similar note i prefer power routes and number of attempts over set up speed routes these days if i can get away with it which also helps avoid deadstopping but also requires me to clear more for myself, which tends to go as being heavy and mortaring then grabbing on a heavy route; also grenade/mine combo works well sometimes to at least clear the stand of bodies and mines