1st TribesNext Tournament

This may be a topic that is presented too early in the game for informed responses. Are there any current plans for Tribes competitions/tournaments? If not, now would be the time to propose one considering the recent effort to stimulate participation.

Remember: necessity is the mother of invention. Tribes will be created as a response to the requirement of belonging to one to enter. When there is a champion, this will further spur tribal recruitment efforts, as new tribes will be created to dethrone the champion, and old tribes will undergo restructuring. Nothing negative can come of this. And so, I propose a 1st TribesNext Tournament. Come forth with your tribe and discuss the possibilities.

Comments

• I would have to agree about it being way too soon. Theres simply not enough folks for that yet....And judging by the play I've seen in the pubs there would be enough for maybe 1 and a half good teams and maybe 5-10 bad ones. It just wouldn't be much fun....
  • edited January 2009
    Yes it is indeed too soon, but simply announcing this will stir interest, regardless of how far off it is. This week has seen monumental jumps in the Tribes 2 fan base, who better to bring them news of a tournament than two competition players from years past? Kyrand? Wildcard?

I know what the two of you are saying, and yes technologically Tribes 2 isn't ready for it just yet, she has to learn to walk before she can run and so on and so forth, but... I remember how inspiring it was as a player years ago following the competitions and aspiring to compete.

Even if we just set the prerequisite number of tribes or players that have to be involved to constitute enough for a competition, it would give us all something awesome to look forward to. A milestone if you will.
  • edited January 2009
    I know where you are coming from man, but trust me competition is only fun if you can compete. And tribes 2 competition is fierce....Cappers that can ski so well you have a split second to stop them or they are gone. Ho CONSTANTLY pouring into your base. LD that knows what they are doing and will body block you from the flag. HOFs that are unmovable.

So personally I think true competition should hold off till theres a bit of a following. Larger ladders allow you to be in there with people around your skill level without having to worry about being stomped. The most fun I had in tribes 2 competition is when they were huge ladders 200+ 16 man teams. As it died down to less then 50 teams it just got stale.

What might be a more reasonable idea is pick up games with a vent/teamspeak server up for such an event. Would give newer folks a chance to learn where they should be or what they should be doing in different situations throughout real games.

Edit- Man I wish I could find some old comp demos or announced games. Those announcers would be talking a mile a minute trying to keep up with everything...kinda funny to listen to.
  • I used to get torn up on TribalWar for saying this, but I started playing Tribes 2 because of Tribes: Aerial Assault for PS2. Before that game, I had zero exposure to Tribes/Starsiege whatsoever. For a few years, Tribes AA had a very strong, albeit relatively small (in comparison to T2), fanbase. All serious players and tribe members were active at tribesaa.com. tribesaa.com would host GTT's (Guild Tribal Tourney) regularly. On average only about 10-20 or so tribes of 8-12-16 players would compete. This tight-knit community created some intense rivalries and awesome competition. We would actually set our PS2's up next to our PC's and get on Ventrilo during tournaments. Every month or two we would all compete for the coveted Shazbot trophy (you can find one in Slapdash).

All the Tribes 2 playing I've been doing in the past two days has made me miss the competition very much. I don't think it matters how many players we have, a tournament is a great idea! Even if tribe support doesn't come for a long time, people can use aliases.
  • I agree with Kryand.

With increasing effort on all parts towards what most people want to achieve, which would be competition again, can be faster than we think. Rather than sitting and waiting for competition (for example; two weeks) we could resurface even more faces. I would probably dig up some of my old crew if this was likely in the comming weeks.

With a returning player base and a overall rusty player skill, it would be a great bonus for newer players to become enveloped in our community. Have some of these nubs learning with us? ... it could happen ... of course our major disadvantage was stomping our new players into the ground and force them away.

Many of us have grown older, but there are many smart and talented players. Tribes as always been community driven but a stale community will degrade again. We just need to get word out, imo.

Aim small - Get the PU's going? Tournaments and Ladders can wait ...
  • I have always said shoot for the stars and reach the moon, but if those of us with administrative experience coordinating competitions(Kryand) feel that we could potentially reach the stars if we hold off for a bit, then I agree. If we need to walk before we run, then let's start walking. Let's get a pickup game schedule thread going! As always, thank you for your knowledge gentlemen! :)
  • I remember the sign of a full server used to be people standing in line at the vehicle pad like it was the Deparment of Motor Vehicles. From what I've seen it hasn't got to that point yet, there's just not enough people like there used to be. Maybe after the announcement of TribesNext going live is out for a while, some of the old vets will come back. Most of the people that are online now don't seem to want to do anything except play a free game.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=162.msg1457#msg1457 date=1231529067]
    I remember the sign of a full server used to be people standing in line at the vehicle pad like it was the Deparment of Motor Vehicles. From what I've seen it hasn't got to that point yet, there's just not enough people like there used to be. Maybe after the announcement of TribesNext going live is out for a while, some of the old vets will come back. Most of the people that are online now don't seem to want to do anything except play a free game.
    [/quote]

Hopefully after chat/email/tribe support is repaired and enabled that will change my friend. At least I hope so.
  • edited January 2009
    Well I am just trying to think of what it would take to start up one of these tournaments, and comparing what it would be like to start now vs. what it would be like to start once the community develops more.

If we started now, then first of all, we'd need someone to plan it all out really heavily. I'm not good with dates, so we'd need some people to help decide what dates all of this stuff should take place. It's best to have all dates sorted out right at the start of advertising, with the exception of the actual match dates - those can be determined on the draft day at the latest. But yeah, we'd need to plan on an opening day and a draft day. It could be better to find team captains before even publicly announcing the tournament, but they might be harder to find then. Anyway, the trouble would be in the lack of advertising media. We'd have to post on a lot of forums and advertise in-game, which has worked in the past, but I think we have a better way.

Now, if we wait a while for TribesNext to develop a few more features, it's possible we could get endorsement from Krash etc. What I mean is, maybe a mention of the tournament with links etc right on the in-game News page. If we wait for the browser, it will also allow people to create tags for the draft teams, which will improve the overall morale I think.

Anyway, that's why I think we should wait. In the meantime though, someone could get started on the actual draft system. Basically, a web-page where people can sign up, and team captains will be listed. Eventually the page will keep track of the progress of the tournament etc. I could also throw my stat tracking scripts on there. :)

I could get started making this webpage, which I probably will end up doing today just for the hell of it.

You are the man! Thanks for taking the time put the ball in motion by taking the first steps! There are those who talk and those who get things done, and you Kryand are one of those who gets things done. Let me know if you need a hand, I'd be happy to help out.