Dogfight Arena Gametype

I don't know if there's already such a gametype but I imagine it would be great fun for a smaller player count and a welcome change to Arena and LakRabbit.

Basically it has the same ruleset as the standard arena gametype but this time with shrikes. You automatically spawn into a shrike at the beginning of the round and your goal is to destroy all shrikes of the enemy team. If your shrike has been destroyed you will die instantly or only when you touch the ground like in the TAC mod.
This would improve your dogfighting skills and your teamplay because that's crucial to win the match.
Sure I could also hop into a shrike on GH but that wouldn't be as intense and ctf is still about teh falg and not about dogfighting.

If there's already such a game mode post the DL link please for the sake of tidiness.

Comments

• TSW is/was a similar concept, but most of the players left are 3 kinds:
    [#] Classic Elitists
    [#] Construction players
    [#] The few players who do play mods

TSW failed to hold interest of these players, so it mostly sits empty unfortunately. While it's a fun idea, I don't see it taking off too well.
  • well i certainly wouldnt play, got better things to do than getting my ass handed by pro shrikers :/
  • edited August 2009
    Nobody would play :(
    i see nobody here likes mods...

I don't think so... Classic anyway but also Arena and LakRabbit are all playermade mods that get played pretty often. They're not that different from the original Tribes 2 like TSW and perhaps that's the point. You could play Dogfight Arena for some rounds right after some games of standard Arena or LakRabbit. I don't have any experience with Tribes 2 coding but I don't think it would be very difficult to code.
    While it's a fun idea, I don't see it taking off too well.

Yeah, me neither... From what I see the Tribes 2 community is a bit conservative :)
    well i certainly wouldnt play, got better things to do than getting my ass handed by pro shrikers :/

Pff, people that own you should motivate yourself to get better you coward :P How could you start playing Tribes 2 at all :D
  • Well, there is Aerial Dogfight. My small patch to it makes it almost exactly what you said with the exception of Arena elements. In Aerial Dogfight you can keep respawning and buying new vehicles - plus, with Bones mod, there are several different types of shrikes.
    I think I have both Bones mod (with ADF) and my ADF update here: http://www.chaingunned.org/files.php in the mods section.