can somebody help me to be good at tribes

2»

Comments

• That's almost exactly what I thought the first time I actually noticed that a disc went straight forwards and ~40?ish meters out just went YOINK and pulled 45 degrees to the left.
  • I have never seen that happen.
  • For the record, neither have I, but then I lead all disc shots as best I can anyway.
  • It could have been a lag artifact on my end then, this was back when i was playing on a 26kbps dialup connection.
  • I have never seen that happen.

I have. I think it has to do with the game code suddenly predicting where the disc is supposed to be, giving it the appearance of magically turning to the left or right. The trail gives it away, if it wasn't for the trail curving behind it you wouldn't notice it.
  • mbsocol it takes some time to get really good with the whole jump skiing control. You'll get it over time. Just dont try and jump into being LO (light offense) or LD (light D) right off the bat. There are so many important good roles and as much as experienced people whine about it, there is somthing to be said about mastering the farm (laying down turrets to support your defense) for your team, doing support roles by repairing and deploying pulse sensors. One of the most underestimated tactics is to lay pulse sensors in a circumference around your base and the enemies. It helps your team and a lot of veteran players dont even think about those things.
  • If you're team is getting heavily raped, hang around until the HOs die and repair assets afterward. You can usually rack up a lot of points that way.
  • If you're team is getting heavily raped, hang around until the HOs die and repair assets afterward. You can usually rack up a lot of points that way.

Thats a good way to point whore, and help your team. But, try not to repair things that will die first in the next wave, deploy a remote invo and defend that.

If my team ever starts gettin raped (gens are dead everytime i spawn), i'll jump on Gen D or Flag D.

That's a good way to point whore and a poor way to help your team.
    Go offense and try to kill their stations/disc snipe their farms. Any respawning player can repair an inv and get a dep inv out into the field.
  • It's a good way to help your team if the repair pack is just "oh so too far" for your teammates to get or if they're just too oblivious to see it. Yeah, it is a good way to point whore, too.
  • Dual mod is a good way to learn close combat! ;)
  • I recently discovered a Tribes 2 strategy guide, from Prima mind you, and it is completely USELESS. I read thru just about the whole thing on the plane recently. It's practically useless just an FYI. Maybe helpful for a nub such as yourself, until then, prepare to be PWNED in-game! Good luck, you'll need it!

I am High! vgtg, vgh. type that real quick w/ the Hero or Psycho voice. press vgtg then vgh after you hear I am in game. And you dude will say I am HIGH! Just a helpful tip for a noob. bi bi
  • One strategy if you want a ton of points for just you. Camp-out near the enemy base somewhere out of sight and take out one of their turrets using your favorite weapon. Then hopefully a stupid bot will come and repair it, right as they start to repair it just unleash a volley of blaster shots directly onto the turret, but not the bot. The turret will continually explode cause the bot will continue to repair. The only problem is if any human players see you they will find you pretty easily. That's my 2 cents.
  • I posted a what's-what strategy/insights based on my years of play in both T1 and T2; even though I directed the posting to teams, there is plenty of information for beginner players. You can find it here:

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1534.0

Be warned however: Tribes = crack/cocaine/junk/candy

In your desire to be better lies your downfall. You will lose your friends, family, and (if married) your spouse and children. Your job/career will suffer. You will become a social outcast will little/no money. Your life outside of the Temple of Monitor will be non-existent.

When your Tribes career is over, you will look back at the wreckage of your life, and Tribes will always be in the back of your mind, calling your name. Years down the road, you drive your car and look at the rolling countryside beside the highway and imagine a heavy with mortar effortlessly skiing alongside your p.o.s. 'hooptie' (because after your bankruptcy, that's all that you'll be able to afford to drive).

Moreover, you will still hear the roar of the crowds if you get lucky enough to be on a *good* team that gets hosted by an awesome shoutcaster...

Tell me now, does that sound like a fair trade?
  • truly great games would destroy society if enough people played them
  • Making choices as to what tactics to use takes time. However, make sure that if you are choosing a tactic that you are able to perform really well. That way, even if you choose the incorrect strategy, you are still effective.

For example, it might not always be the right time to go heavy offense, but if you do go heavy offense, you better make sure its a good HO run.

Focus on dueling, and think of it like this.

Imagine a tribes 2 duel is a boxing match. Your jab is the chaingun. What are the two most important things in boxing? The jab and movement.

Players on goonhaven right now are terrible for the most part. However, they seem to be at least learning proper weapon selection. They use cg when I'm in the air and disk me on the ground, ect... However, probably 99% of them still have terrible movement which is why they lose to seasoned players.

You learn that the air can protect you from damage first. Then you get good, and learn that the ground is where you want to be more often than not.

To get better at movement, try this training... Have your friend chaingun you. While your friend does this, you just focus on the bullets and try to dodge them while you are on the ground. Use any means necessary but you aren't allowed to fly into the air.

Then try it when you ARE allowed to fly into the air.

Pure aggression works vs idiots or people that aren't expecting it. Hopefully doing this enough will help you realize the mindset you have to have when fighting other people in tribes. You need to use the terrain and play more defensively. You can accelerate quicker while walking but your top speed is obviously much lower. To totally dominate someone you need to coordinate several things. Say someone is chaining you, you should be "bobbing and weaving" on the ground and trying to get behind some sort of hill. At the same time, you should be chaining the shit out of the other guy. When he pops his disk out you need to be ready to jet. The whole time you chain him. If you get into trouble, get the hell out of there and reposition yourself. Gain an information advantage using third person or sensors and make the other guy pay.

Focus on what weapon the enemy player has out, and plan your movements accordingly. Focus on their shots (chaingun or disk), really focus on them, and be where they aren't. Use the ground, use angles, use third person to keep track of the enemy behind the hill (tribes is a game of information firstly).

Finally, combine the above knowledge with shield pack, heavy armor, and a better sense of weapon selection. Profit.