Unhandled Exception c0000005

Comments

• edited January 2009
    When applying the patch, it stops 75% of the way through and says there is an error opening the rubyintersect.dll file for writing. It also does this with msvcrt-ruby18.dll.

Before I install the patch, I can get to the sierra update screen of Tribes 2 online, but going to the solo/lan version brings me to the problem I'm having post patch with both versions.
  • If the game closes unexpectedly, the rubyintersect.dll process can remain open. This is one of the issues we'll be working to resolve, but right now you'll want to open up your task manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and close any instances of it in order to reapply the patch.
  • I get this error whenever I try to join a server. I'll click join, and it'll hop back to the server listing like I hadn't selected anything. I'll click Join a few more times, and bam, the error pops up.

This is from a fresh install in a new location using the installer provided on this website, and then patched with Next. I tried updating my ATI drivers, didn't help. Switched between OpenGL and D3D, didn't help. The game ran perfectly fine prior to the master server shut down (I played a tiny bit just before), so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for any help.
  • I'm getting the UE crash as soon as I try to run the game, screen goes black for a second then back to desktop with the error, have tried reinstalling and everything - however my laptop does not get this problem and works perfectly.

Both running Windows XP.

Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    2.21GHz
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600XT

Laptop: AMD Turion 64 X2
    2.00GHz
    2GB RAM
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1250

Cheers :)
  • I does seem that the Unhandled Exception is an issue of the native Tribes 2 program. An issue which has been there since day one of the game's original launch, and has only gotten worse with time. From a fairly thorough search, I have been unable to find any concrete solutions, but several causes have been proposed.

The most common seems to stem from Windows XP, as the first widespread reports seem to be from when that OS was new and started wide usage. The second lies in ATI brand video cards, at the time of the game's launch, nVidia and Voodoo were the two most common brands. The third and the only one with a solution I could actually try was with the .DSO script files. Tribes has a hard time with .DSOs that already exist and are sometimes responsible for causing such problems, but removing them did nothing to resolve my problem.

The one thing I did find was that this error was allegedly to be resolved in the code updates included in a planned expansion before Dynamix went under and Tribes was taken up by Vivendi. If anyone has any further insight on how to make Tribes 2 more complaint with modern hardware, I would love to hear your ideas, as I miss the Tribes way of game.
  • Unhandled exceptions can be caused by a variety of things, but startup crashes are almost invariably due to incompatibilities in the video drivers.

The crashing on joining a server is usually due to $IPv4::InetAddress being set to something other than your external IP address, or not being set at all. It should soon be fixed in a later version.
    A crash on account creation is a different matter, and something we'll have to try to recreate.
  • A good idea to ensure that any base t2 install is complete and error free is to install the game, start it, adjust video settings to suit, and then after playing in training mode for a bit to ensure no ues occur, go and add the patch. Also delete any dso files after you have your game settings as you want them. One may also want to install the altmaster scripts to ensure online play is working, before installing tribesnext.
  • For what it's worth, I have both an ATI card and XP but the game runs fine in training mode or LAN mode, the error only manifests itself when I try and join another online server.
  • Mine crashes on start up, so what would I have to do to fix the incompatibilities?
  • I got mine to at least get to the account creation screen by going into ClientPrefs.cs and changing:

$pref::Video::fullScreen = "1";

into:

$pref::Video::fullScreen = "0";

I have a smaller screen but it's at least some mild success. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is wrong.
  • I have an nvidia card and windows xp. Regular tribes works, but when I install the patch I get the Unhandled Exception c00000005 at 000000000 at startup.

Is there anyway for me to make this patch work? Because I'd love to do this.
  • I too get that same error code, but only when I try to join my own server. I saw two people on my server this afternoon so i must be running. If I try to join other servers, I connect just fine. Any suggestions? I would liketo be able to play on my own server.
  • Have you tried joining your server from with LAN address? There is a bit of a quirk in the on-join IP check code in the moment where it will check your IP as the network address, but since to you the server is on the external address, you tell it that you're external too... thus, it says: You're not x IP, you're 192.168.1.1! Quit lying!
    There should be an update sometime soon to fix this.

Rensque: Have you tried the other video fixes in this thread, and did the patch install correctly?
  • edited January 2009
    Rensque: Have you tried the other video fixes in this thread, and did the patch install correctly?

The patch installed (in)correctly initially, but I have since uninstalled and reinstalled without the problem.

Tribes 2 vanilla style works just fine, but applying the patch causes the UE to pop up as soon as the game starts.

Edit: INcorrectly.
  • Is that starting Tribes 2 Vanilla in multipleyer or singleplayer/LAN that works? Since, for me, vanilla multiplayer works since it starts up the patcher only and doesn't get to anything that would invoke the UE, but vanilla singleplayer/LAN and patched both all UE on start up.

I know I have the latest drivers for the video card, and I'm rather perplexed as to why the game acts exactly the same on both my XP desktop with a Radeon HD series card and my Vista laptop with an Integrated Intel card.
  • the only time I get this error is when I try to log in to War2009 (which oddly enough, disappeared along with solofire's meltdown from the server list). :| is there something specific about that mod that's causing it?
  • Is that starting Tribes 2 Vanilla in multipleyer or singleplayer/LAN that works? Since, for me, vanilla multiplayer works since it starts up the patcher only and doesn't get to anything that would invoke the UE, but vanilla singleplayer/LAN and patched both all UE on start up.

I know I have the latest drivers for the video card, and I'm rather perplexed as to why the game acts exactly the same on both my XP desktop with a Radeon HD series card and my Vista laptop with an Integrated Intel card.

Without the patch tribes single player and multiplayer both work, but with the patch I can't get either one to work. I went and got the newest drivers not too long ago, so I know I'm current.
  • Bumping this in hopes of a solution so I can play this game again.
  • Does anyone know what exception c00000005 is? Seems like it pops up in all kinds of circumstances from video crashes on startup to engine failures in game.
    Just kind of throwing this out there, since I have no idea how I would do it myself, but if we knew precisely what this exception that's not handled is supposed to represent, we might be in a better position to help fix it.

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how prevalent this UE has always been. Still new to T2.
  • The unhandled exception is a general fatal engine error, and not linked to any one issue. Pretty much the equivalent of a BSOD.
    While they may seem pretty common on new setups, the truth is that other than from the odd memory leaks, infinite loops, and problems in some scripts, crashes for the most part have been pretty rare since the last of the official patches was released.

Rensque, unless you're running under WINE, there should be little difference in the startup environment between the patched and unpatched versions of the game. Could you check that the following files exist in gamedata and check their file sizes?
    Tribes2.exe
    rubyintersect.dll
    t2dll.dll
    msvcrt-ruby18.dll
    base\T2csri.vl2
    console_start.cs
  • If it is a Video card problem, then Just go to the officail site that your video card came from and download/update your driver for your video card. I'm about to test my version.
  • Rensque, unless you're running under WINE, there should be little difference in the startup environment between the patched and unpatched versions of the game. Could you check that the following files exist in gamedata and check their file sizes?
    Tribes2.exe
    rubyintersect.dll
    t2dll.dll
    msvcrt-ruby18.dll
    base\T2csri.vl2
    console_start.cs

No. I'm running under Windows XP.

Tribes2.exe 4.21MB
    rubyintersect.dll 6.5kb
    t2dll.dll 12kb
    msvcrt-ruby18.dll 801kb
    base\T2csri.vl2 445kb
    console_start.cs 75.5kb

I don't know what the patch does exactly that makes tribes unplayable on my PC, but it must be doing something. I've verified like eight times now. I could uninstall the patch right now and play LAN/Solo. However, once I install it again that becomes impossible. Maybe my entire life is actually an elaborate simulation that someone else is running under WINE, but I doubt it. However, at this point it doesn't seem like there are too many other solutions forthcoming.
  • If it helps I have:

Windows XP
    Geforce 6150SE nforce 430
    Driver version: 181.20
  • Bumping this for unresolvedness.
  • I've got some tips from Gareth von Kallenbach, the former lead tech on Tribes 2. He says to set your desktop to 800x600 first of all and this will clear up a lot of the problem in Vista. I know for a fact that this has already helped someone I know who was getting 'hardware failed to switch over' errors and unhandled exceptions.

He has a lot more advice about the game too and if anyone wants to try and contact him his website is http://sknr.net/

He said the main causes of UE's in Tribes 2 were

old Securom code (not sure about this one but he insists)

Graphical driver incompatibilities (With Vista and XP you can already guess this one)

Don't run the game in XP(no choice) or Vista if you can help it. Build a 98 box.

And a few other things that I can't remember right now but I'll post when I get home.
  • Securom code might be wigging out from not finding a CD? Or not having its usual hooks in the registry? That'd be my guess.

Would setting compatibility mode to 98 work or help? I rarely, if ever, get UEs on either of my boxen, but I've had luck setting compatibility that far back on other games.
  • edited January 2009
    Securom code might be wigging out from not finding a CD? Or not having its usual hooks in the registry? That'd be my guess.

Would setting compatibility mode to 98 work or help? I rarely, if ever, get UEs on either of my boxen, but I've had luck setting compatibility that far back on other games.

He was pretty insistent about the securom thing. He said that after the game launched they tried to disable it but the failsafes kept it coming back, and they worked on it for months with no luck.

Not sure if anything was done about it with the last patches.

And he specificially said not to play it on XP or at worst Vista, but as you can guess in today's world that's pretty inevitable that your installation is going to be running on one of those. My guess would be to try and fool the game into thinking its running in Win 98 as much as possible, this may mean setting memory limits, limiting the graphics, some might even have to run it in a 98 virtual pc.

What Tribesnext can do, is if you guys can compile a list of your major issues and error codes. He said that I can send them to him and he will take a look at them. Remember though, he was on the development team and while I don't think he's sore about what happened with Tribes 2 I don't want him to feel like he is being hounded for support on the game that killed his job.

If you guys come up with the questions I will approach him and see if he has any ideas.

This sounds exactly like what happened to me. Try disabling fullscreen In the ClientPrefs.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=81.msg2909#msg2909 date=1232571843]
    Securom code might be wigging out from not finding a CD? Or not having its usual hooks in the registry? That'd be my guess.

He was pretty insistent about the securom thing. He said that after the game launched they tried to disable it but the failsafes kept it coming back, and they worked on it for months with no luck.

Not sure if anything was done about it with the last patches.

And he specificially said not to play it on XP or at worst Vista, but as you can guess in today's world that's pretty inevitable that your installation is going to be running on one of those. My guess would be to try and fool the game into thinking its running in Win 98 as much as possible, this may mean setting memory limits, limiting the graphics, some might even have to run it in a 98 virtual pc.

What Tribesnext can do, is if you guys can compile a list of your major issues and error codes. He said that I can send them to him and he will take a look at them. Remember though, he was on the development team and while I don't think he's sore about what happened with Tribes 2 I don't want him to feel like he is being hounded for support on the game that killed his job.

If you guys come up with the questions I will approach him and see if he has any ideas.
    [/quote]

Just tried it in 800x600 mode. No luck. Tried it with compatibility set to 98. No luck. The worst thing is that I can play the vanilla game, so I know that this is something with the patch. I wish it was Tribes fucking up because then there'd at least be a longer tech support history to search through. As it is I just have to wait for the next version of the patch to come out that doesn't include the all-new crash-to-desktop feature.
  • The rubyintersect.dll problem unfortunately is related to Tribesnext, we've got to wait for the guys to update it.