Help Me Skin!

Hey everyone - just want to say that I am so happy to see tribes and tribes2 back online. It's been so long since I've played, but now that anyone can play it for free - I find myself shazbotin' all over again!

So I started to tinker around again and I made a skin, but I have to admit I don't remember all the ins and outs and I can't find any tutorials or base skins anywhere! I also have high resolution skins installed and I want to skin some new ones at that resolution or atleast 512x512! Please help! I can't seem to find the base skins anywhere!

* Where are the base skins for each resolution?? Do you have them?!

* How do I make the readable in photoshop (some are transparent?!) ??

* How do the alpha channels work on the skins?

Sorry for such a newb post but - I guess after 8 years or so you are renewb'ed? I appreciate any an all your help. Here is a picture of a skin in progress - I hope to have a whole skinpack done with your help!

tribes2heavyf-1.jpg

tribes2heavyb.jpg
  • tribes2heavyf.jpg

Comments

• I found a cool set of diagrams that may help my fellow skinners. I thought I'd post it here to better server everyone!

fb_diagram_lmale-1.jpg

fb_diagram_mmale.jpg

fb_diagram_hmale.jpg
  • YAY! Okay so I now have the older .png shader for photoshop which allows me to properly view the .png tribes files in photoshop. I have attached the file here so that everyone doesn't have to sift through the internet.
  • Here is the male base armor set that I have converted to .jpg format so that anyone in any program can download the skin. Just remember that inorder for the skin to work in the game - you must save it as a .png file and put it in your skins folder.

Male Base Light Armor
    blmale_512.jpg

Male Base Medium Armor
    bmmale_512.jpg

Male Base Heavy Armor
    bhmale_512.jpg

I will post .jpgs of the other armors when I'm less lazy and less ston3d! w00t! This post for help is turning into more of a tutorial *sticky*! :)
  • What there should be is blank templates.
  • lol awesome zombie skin, ima d.l it :)
  • edited February 2010

(1)* How do I make the readable in photoshop (some are transparent?!) ??

(2)* How do the alpha channels work on the skins?
    (1) There was a skin set that was transparent, but I do not think that is the one you are talking about. If it appears as opaque, layers cause that. Either too many alpha layers added or too heavy alpha layer. You should be able to remove the alpha layers unless they are locked to that set.
    (2) Alpha layer keeps the skin from being shiny or mirror like in game. I edited a chrome black and a chrome silver back in the day by merely playing with the alpha layers. To add an alpha to your made skins, create alpha layer from current image is best.

I used Paint Shop Pro back then. I never liked photoshop. I still use my personal skin from {K|inc} thanks to Team Work of SnakeShit and I and who ever made the original unclaimed skin we edited.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi,
    I have been creating a large client pack, from all the files
    I can find. witch includes 50+ player skins, models, and more..
    For some stuped reason I cant get the new player skins to show up in the game as I play and host after picking a skin from the player setup...
    I am getting frustrated help? ::)
    $Host::useCustomSkins = 1;
  • edited February 2010
    I also tested vl2 skin packs i found, and placed them in the base folder..
    none of them show up in the game as you play.. they only show up in the player setup area.. I tested this on 2 different tribes2 installs on my PC...
    I am sort of experience at modding tribes2, and know this should work.. I will know for sure after I upload my new client side pack to my tribes2 server in NY for testing....
    The Tribes2_Clientside_Pack_By_Defender_1.vl2, will be posted at my website later this evening.. http://www.tribalcombat.com/T2ClientsideMaps.html
    I already made a 184 clientside map pack I run on my server...
  • edited February 2010
    " Post Count Conservation "
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
    If you see them in the warrior area and select it there, it should show.
    If it is not in the custom skins selection list that explains why.
    If you have them uploaded to a host site, send the link and I'll look at it.

*** paths for the skins of any custom player, gui, weapons, vehicles, any textures, MUST BE CORRECT when you make them into a vl2 for them to work in game ***

As soon as you upload them I will D/L and check also.
    Sometimes merely adding a Z or ZZ even ZZZ to the vl2 name at front will make them work. This was an issue I noticed on many weapons and effects adds to the game.

Try adding a Z to front like Zclientskins.vl2 will more than likely fix it.
    Lol. I found out the coustom skins showed up in death match.. :'(
    I had to chenge this line in defaultgame.cs, ever place i fount it..
    Now coustom skins, work in ctf...
    change this from
    setTargetSkin( %client.target, %game.getTeamSkin(%client.team) );
    change this to
    // set player's skin pref here
    setTargetSkin(%client.target, %client.skin);
    :o
    That means the server was yours and you had the server set to NOT ALLOW Custom skins.
    Would have been easier to change your serverprefs.cs to ALLOW custom skins. ::)
  • Lol. I found out the coustom skins showed up in death match.. :'(

I had to chenge this line in defaultgame.cs, ever place i fount it..
    Now coustom skins, work in ctf...

change this from
    setTargetSkin( %client.target, %game.getTeamSkin(%client.team) );

change this to
    // set player's skin pref here
    setTargetSkin(%client.target, %client.skin);