server question

Im thinking of hosting a Renegades CTF server Anyone have some info on how id do that. I have the server files installed but it wont show up on the master server list.?

Comments

• Do you get any messages in the server console about the heartbeats? They should send about ever three minutes, and the list server should send back a response.
    What are you using as the target in your shortcut?
  • Also, if you're running behind a router, you may have to open some ports for the server to be seen.
  • Also, if you're running behind a router, you may have to open some ports for the server to be seen.

Do you know where to find the port? I Don't have any problems but some ppl get high Ping and it might help to open a port for them.
  • Hi
    I run my server in a dmz wich exposes the system to the entire web, but if you just want to open a port, all traffic from or to the server will be on port 28000, udp only. So you can filter udp in and out for 28000. If you run telnet to the server you'll have to open the requisite ports and protocols too. If you want to dmz your server, read up on your router so as to enable dmz. If you run your server in a dmz, you need a firewall on your server, I just use the one that came with the server os.
    It's easy to define a port in your server shortcut:

C:\T2\GameData\ispawn.exe 28000 Tribes2.exe -dedicated -mod Ultra_RenegadesVX7 -nonpure -online

Where 28000 is obviously the port.

ps
    delete all dso files in servers and clients when making changes, this can avoid ues and server crashes, unless your server mod came as a dso, if so if you delete those dsos you'll no longer have the mod
  • edited January 2009
    I had it running the other day Called Renegade test server or something like that.. When i try to connect to it it kept giving me some IP errors. Im trying to get the accual message but now im not even seeing it on the master server list. and last night it was there.

I did not have the -online at the end. once i added it the last lines of the Ispawn box are

Defaunt game mission load done.
    starting camp thread...
    starting mission countdown...
    - Server added to list.
    START MATCH
    mission end countdown...

It claims its been added to the list and i have the ports forwarded to it but i dont see it in the master list.

Few minutes later I get

-- Sent heartbeat to TN Master.
    - Server added to list.
  • Ok Server is up but im getting the error message

"Server sent back unreasonable IP challenge source. Possible replay attack attempt."

Any thoughts?
  • The current version may require you to insert your LAN address to connect to your local server, but should be fine for everyone else.
    See this thread.