Classic Updates

After a while of playing amazing Classic, I notice it was really, really, really out of date. I decided that good old Classic needed a update. I am starting out easy and I am touching on the last update. I am going to explain the difference between the old one.

Classic 1.5.2 was the last update made in 5/15/04.

New Update: Classic 1.5.4(Still under-development)
Here are things that are done and working.
Loading GUI
It would always say "NOTE: In your control settings, bind a key to Admin Hud to use Classic mod admin features." Now as a host you can disable that message and add in your own little note or so. In serverprefs.cs set $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIAllowMessage = 1 to allow your message. Type in the message you would like to appear in $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIMessage = "";

Added new votes for admins, and they are:
-Reset Flags(This will reset all flags to original position, just in case a glitch or a "hack" happens)
-Repair Bases(As a admin they are now allow to repair bases by just hitting that both team's bases will be repair)
-Disable Team Switch/Enable Team Switch(If you disable it people can't switch teams)

setPerfCounterEnable(0);
Is now set in server.cs, because it makes the game run smoothly.

Upcoming to the update:
-Run Mode(During CTF, if Run Mod is active if people ride in a vehicle with a flag, when they cap they will only score half the amount of points, as a regular non-vehicle cap. EX: If I grabbed the flag and walked home, and score I would receive 100 points. But if I cap and use a vehicle I would only score 50 points)
-Event Mode(A event system that allows you to enable as a vote. The event mode is going to help communities host awesome events at night)
-If only one player is in game, they are not allowed to grab the flag unless there is 2.
That would end the Classic 1.5.4

In the future Classic 1.5.8 will come out with fixes, and cleaning up the code. Removing old things that won't work, and re-making the client side scripts. And planning more. ALSO I haven't forgotten about EVO, I will make the 1.5.8 be EVO supported. Witch means it will disable somethings if Evo is used.

Please give feed-backs/comments/Suggestions.

Comments

• I think this is a great idea.

So you know, there are guys here working on a new admin mod. (I'm not involved).

I wrote a statistics parser for T2, the core feature set and some of the fluff features are finished. While I was doing it, I ran into some problems with T2 that you could fix in this update. Hit me up on IRC sometime.
  • Yeah I have heard about the admin mod update. And I will look for you in the IRC tomorrow, and will fix the problem. Also once those guys release the new admin mod I will make classic support it. See you around teratos.
  • Awesome.
  • Alright well I am going to give a look at what I am going to release in this mini-update. The version is going to be 1.5.4. Just for your information, I used the "latest update" I believe witch was Classic 1.5.2.

What I have done:
    1) New $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIAllowMessage and $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIMessage. If $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIAllowMessage is allowed, then a host can put up there own message in the loading gui. There message can be typed in $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIMessage. This is great for typing there a little message like, "Hosted By: Mruballos", "At 12 there is a event", etc.

2) New Admin Votes, Reset Flags, Repair Bases, and Disable/Enable team switch. I think the names explains it.

3) setPerfCounterEnable(0); is now set automatically because it runs the server smoothly.

4) Added new chat commands, /commands, /me, /voice list, /voice (voicehere), /voicepitch (0.5-2.0), and /serverinfo.
    /commands- Shows all the commands.
    /me- shows your info such as name, voice, voicepitch, total kills, total scores, total deaths, etc.
    /voice list- shows all voice commands to change your voice in game.
    /voice (voicehere)- place the voice name in voicehere. EX: /voice psycho.
    /voicepitch (0.5-2.0)- this allows you to change your voicepitch in game. EX: /voicepitch 2.0.
    /serverinfo- shows server name, max players, current map, etc.

5) Little modification, message spam is now 6 in a row instead of 4, because of new commands.

6) LogEcho(); I fixed some of the problems with this, that didn't show name or so. And added new ones to new places.

Still need to do:
    A new host option, probably as a vote. "Real Climate". Now the server could act as a real life climate. Where it rains for random minuts, then it changes to wind, etc. Also real time. Witch means it will be sunny for half the time then dark. (I REPEAT THIS WILL BE A OPTION).

Thanks all I have plan for this mini-update. If there is some problems with classic please tell me so I can fix it and put it in this update.

I am also planning on working on a new update after this. That will take out some use-less blocks to run the game smooth and re-doing the client scripts. Also more.
  • The updates that you are doing sound pretty awesome, Just make sure everything runs smoothly lol. The server climate thing sounds cool but I think it will freeze/lag the server maybe you got it to work correctly but when they played with the tricon admin thing in the HV server to change the climate it lagged the clients/server pretty bad.

Some changes I would like to see:
    • Be able to kick people from your vehicle. I think I have the server files/code for this if you need it.
    • when you destroy a vehicle you know the pieces of the vehicle damage/destroys your vehicle I would like that gone ;). I believe they had this in hvadmin
    more later ;D
  • Good work Mruballos
  • Those are good ideas that I did not think off. I will add the kick out of vehicle code. And I am still thinking about that vehicle thing. Cause it does make the game realistic.

Now about that climate code. I tested it and it's not laggy but it could be because the server I host is local. So I will make it so it cancells some datablocks or not execute somethings if it does cause alot of lag. But it will be a optional thing and it will be warning about this to admin. Thank you so much for the ideas you are great. Also want to thank teratos.

• 3) setPerfCounterEnable(0); is now set automatically because it runs the server smoothly.

$Host::ClassicUseHighPerformanceCounter = 0;

should already do that, which is IIRC the default value.
  • By default it was set to 1. Many people did not know that nor knew how to use it. So I just removed the option.
  • All right, I am working all night on this today. It should be finish by Monday or Tuesday. I am just going to add:
    -The vehicle kick idea.
    -More logecho();
    -Run Mode
    -Event Mode
    -If only one player is in game, they are not allowed to grab the flag unless there is 2.
    -(Maybe) do the real climate thing. Since it can cause lag I might just not include that.
  • "-If only one player is in game, they are not allowed to grab the flag unless there is 2."

Can this be an option please?
    =)
  • Sure. As a admin vote or serverprefs.cs setting?
  • Admin vote probably.

That way someone can still hop on their own/their team's server and practice capping.
  • Another small update:
    First of all read the first post of this threat, read everything that I have done.

Completed:
    1) LoadingGUI- Small change (Look at first post in this threat)
    2) Commands- Chat commands (Look at first post)
    3) New Admin Votes- Read top to see all. New one added, called Enable/Disable FlagLock.
    4) setPerfCounterEnable(0);- Not a big change look at top.
    5) Message.cs- TINY change. Look on top.
    6) You can now kick people out of your vehicle by pressing the number on the keyboard.
    7) LogEcho();- Look up.

Have to do:
    1) Event mod- This will be a great way to host events organize in the server side.
    -That's all for now. I know I had the "real climate" to do and the "run mod". But I have decided to hold back on those 2. Climate because it may lag. And Run mod is not as necessary so it could be added in the next small update.

That would end 1.5.4

But 1.5.6, will be a version that will just have less data blocks, to run smooth and the taking down of the client side codes. Also fixes from the last update. Good news for you bot lovers, it seems the console goes nuts with errors once bots are summoned. So I will fix that too.
  • vgw ;D, sounds great, I can't wait to be able to download the new version.
    if you need some one to beta test let me know. 8)
  • That will be great. I need testers. I am probably going to host, Sunday and Monday. But I am worry that my server is not good enough with ping for people to enjoy it. Unless someone that could host a great server could host it for like one day.
  • The update is complete. I have added and tweaked a few things.

Release Information
    Will be release Tuesday(3/31/09) morning. It will be posted here, and planing on adding it to TribalOutPost.com

Update Information
    It was a small update. The update is Classic 1.5.4. It was modified from Classic 1.5.2. The update was made to make it work with TribesNext better. The small update was mostly add-ons and minor fixing. Also scouting out problems to fix in future updates.

Update Log
    LoadingGui-If a admin pleases he can now, type his own message in the loading gui. To allow this you must set $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIAllowMessage to 1. And type your admin message in $Host::ClassicLoadingGUIMessage.

Mission Loading/Cycling-Since it won't display the upcoming mission name in the loading gui and it caused a few problems I have changed it. It runs random by itself, and because of many problems it won't run in alphabetical order.(Don't worry a fix for this will come, and it will work better.)

New Admin Votes:-Added: Reset Flags(returns flags to original position no matter where at), Repair All Bases(Repairs all destroyed/damage inventories, vehicle stations, generators, sensors, turrets, etc), Disable/Enable Team Switch(Now you have the choice to allow team switch), FlagLock(If enabled, there must be at least 2 players in the game to pick up the flag), and Event mod(Will be explained, keep reading)

setPerfCounterEnable(0);-It's no longer a option, it will run this automatically, because it makes all servers run smoothly.

Chat Commands-When in game, in the global chat(pressing u) you can type the fallowing commands:
    • /commands-This will allow you to view all the commands.
    • /me-Will show your information such as name, voice, voicepitch, total kills, etc.
    • /voice list- This will show a list of voice commands you can use, to change your voice.
    • /voice (namehere)-Type in namehere, a voice name. It will change your voice it. Example /voice psycho
    • /voicepitch (0.5-2.0)-Change your voicepitch, the valid values are 0.5 to 2.0. Example /voicepitch 2.0
    • /serverinfo-Will display minor server information
    • /eventinfo-If a event is taking place, this will show the information for people that came late.

SPAM_MESSAGE_THRESHOLD = 4; to 6-I changed that four to 6. Not a big modification but all it does is allow people to say something 6 times in the same 10 seconds or so. Because of chat commands I needed to allow a bit more voice freedom.

LogEcho();-I found some little bugs, and fix them. And added this to a few more things.

Total Vehicle Control-As requested, I have added this. Pilots/Vehicle Owners can now kick out/eject their teammates in the vehicle they are in.

Event Mod-Currently a small start. Not as good as it will be in upcoming updates. Now, this is what it does. It's a SUPERADMIN vote only. Once activate it, centerprints will show up. Saying event is starting with event name, description, and rules(this can be modified as a host in prefs folder in the eventPrefs.cs) Then it loads the chosen map to start in. And once a player joins late, or later. A center print will appear saying it's running a event. And to type /eventinfo. This is a small start, but will be better in near future.

That ends the whole update that I have done. In the next update witch will be Classic 1.5.6, I will work on taking away data blocks and fixing problems. This way the server runs smoothly and better. There is many problems and I am hoping to resolve all of them. Thanks guys. I am out!
  • Most of what you've done doesn't really qualify as an updated classic mod, and I don't think you should be updating the version number on classic mod. It feels more like you're doing things that should really just be considered an admin mod. You're not making the game really play any differently, and you haven't added any major fixes that would be adopted by the whole classic community.

If I were you, I'd strip out your code and keep it separate from the actual classic mod files, turning this whole project into an admin mod.
  • There is many people that run this mod plain. They just don't use Evolution Admin Mod. So, I just did a update and hey if you don't like it, or doesn't qualify to be a update feel free to keep using 1.5.2. There is going to be more fixes and add ons to this. Also why change the way it feels? The way it runs now, is just awesome.

Thank you for posting :), Have a nice Day.
  • I kinda agree with Red Shifter, but when it comes down to it I highly doubt that the competition community would adopt any changes to classic at this point no matter what - even if z0dd fixed all deadstops and UEs, people are stubborn.

That said, I think it's cool that you're working on it and hopefully it will improve some people's pub experiences. My only suggestions are to leave the game play alone as much as possible. I can see the ability to eject players from vehicles being useful in pubs, but please be sure it only ejects teammates. There is something to be said for the 'tactical' possibilities of jumping in enemy vehicles : )
  • Well I am not planning on changing the gameplay at all. I love how classic just work. What I really want to get done is give admins a bit more power options, make it funner for the clients(like the commands), make a whole new client side script, and fix all the possible buggs. That is what I want to do. And the vehicle kick thing I will look into it, because I do agree with you.
  • SterIO makes a good point about the vehicle script.

Overall, I love what you are doing, fixing those odd bugs that have slipped through (the flag reset thing), and fixing those log messages.
  • How about making the players vulnerable in a vehicle? That was the only thing I liked about v2. I don't think it would affect the gameplay that much, it's fun though :)
  • For many guys such as Red Shifter, I agree where you are coming from too. Like I know, this is not my mod, and I have no business in updating. But I am doing this for people that actually want this mod to be fixed and touched on. I respect the creator of classic so I kept the name, and didn't give my self credit anywhere, nor did I give my self auto A and/or SA.

What I really wanted to accomplish with classic was really, adding a bit more client control. Like the commands and vehicle ejects and future suggestions. And more admin control, cause I know admins needed this little add ons. I didn't plan to change anything big like gravity or so, cause that ruins the classic feel.

I do agree with SterIO with that vehicle eject code. I am going to make sure that you can only eject teams. But sadly I am going to do that in the next little update. I try to fix many bugs, but because I have not gotten so much bug reports or so I haven't found none. Once this little update goes, and people bring it up to me then the next update will have the fixes/minor modification to it. So really 1.5.4, will be the road to making 1.5.6 the best. With bug fixes and more.

Thank you to you guys that actually support me with this. And guys that don't I respect your idea, but hey...I could of been a asswipe and just added this called it another mod -_-.
  • My point is that you're basically adding admin mod stuff onto the mod, rather than making any actual bug fixes or anything. Classic 1.5.2 isn't exactly air-tight, but it does most of what it needs to do. The minor alterations that need to be made are not the addition of EWO scripts and a chat command system reminiscent of admin mods of the past. I don't want people to be confused years down the line when trying to figure out the latest version of classic. I get where you're coming from, but you're not adding anything that needs to be integrated directly into classic mod.

I'm not sure where this flag reset thing came from. I haven't seen the flag disappear from play, and a few people I've asked in lastgasp haven't seen it either. On the other hand, Goon Haven is known for not looking closely at maps before running them, and some maps add weird scripts to the game. Hell, there could even be security backdoors being opened on the server without anyone actually knowing it (however unlikely).
  • I understand where you are coming from. But it's not going to be like EWO that like changed the version to like 2 something I can't really remember. But I am moving it one small numbers at a time. And if people don't want it, fine. There is a place here in the forums where 1.5.2 is located. Also the bug, fixing that is what I want to do. I just started with add-ons. And then bug fixing. I haven't had people post problems so I really haven't done much.

Now that I am releasing this, I am hoping people come to me with problems/suggestions for the mod. Like I know CLASSIC console goes crazy when there is bots, so many errors. So I will fix that. Also make it so the vehicle eject, will only eject teammates not enemies. And so on..I am just waiting for this release to get people that use it to report problems.
  • Alright guys here is Classic 1.5.4

It should work for Evo, except I don't know what it would do with the map cycling. Since I changed it completely the mission cycle might load different. But other than that it would be fine. If you are planning on using Evo on this, then tell me. And I will post the codes that you can add to the mod to work 100% on Evo. Also 1.5.6 will be 100% evo supported.

Enjoy guys, please report problems to me and ideas you might have. Also if you want to downgrade then download 1.5.2 witch is not touch by me: http://goonhaven.org/files/classic_v152.zip
  • Alright I have started on the new update. Witch is all about fixing and organizing. Like I said before if you don't think the update is necessary, know you don't have to download it. I do this only to run my server with updated fixes or add ons, but I am sharing this ones.

The new upcoming version is 1.5.4 B.
    The number 1.5.4 will stay and only the letter will be changed per update so people know it's me and not zodd. Like that there is no confusion and this is not a mandetory option at all.

The update will have:
    -fixed all bot problems that classic 1.5.2 had.
    -fixed logecho and add some
    -get rid of non useful codes.
    -fix problems found by me and other classic players.
    -you can only eject teammates from vehicles.

That's it fir now.