TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  General Discussion >  Where did T2 go wrong? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Where did T2 go wrong?
`Phoenix
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
15: April 11, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »
"Gaming nowadays is about graphics, spam and thoughtlessness."

Exactly.

I came to play tribes 2

Lost sieger

disembodied head
Alviss
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
16: April 11, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
Anyone saying that either of those things contributed even 1% to the downfall of T2 is an idiot.

True, i've never met anyone who quit Tribes2 because of the cheaters.
I believe, T2's "downfall" is due to the amount of people who know of it.
This stem's from T2's initial lack of advertisement in the early days, the people who play TribesNext are veterans or recruits from vet's, a very small minority are legitimately new folks who are open to trying new games.

Anyone who plays the game is immediately addicted to it, or that has been in my experience. Still trying to convince my graphicwhore friends to play T2. Tongue
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:38:12 PM by Alviss »

Tribes2 never left. It was you who was lost.
blindkilla
Scout

View Profile
17: April 11, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
actually take a look at it honestly and all of the points are valid in one way or another.all of these problems factor in one way or another now trying to to come up with a solution to this problem is what needs to be focused on.
FastEd
18: April 11, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
i was gonna make a topic like this .....lol?

If tribes 2 was so popular what was wrong with it?Bugs ,no publicity or what?

it was buggy initially and honestly it still is, I cant alt tab or get an im or change the focus in anyway from it, or i get a UE imediately everytime without fail and its always been like that. It also ran like crap on all but the most state of the art hardware back when it was new, that probably didnt help. Problems like that coupled with the fact that there was no classic or base++, and the t1'ers stayed away kinda like we all did when vengeance came out.
LordViper
Nugget

View Profile
19: April 13, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
It's way too hard for the average gamer. With 90% of the games that are popular, you can be a complete moron and still play them effectively. In T2 you have to be a competent gamer if you want to be able to do anything at all. It also doesn't help that a very large majority of the original T1 fan-base abandoned T2 early on because of Base. So, T2 had a tough time attracting new gamers as well as old fans. Unfortunately, gaming nowadays is not about skill or depth or anything remotely substantial. Gaming nowadays is about graphics, spam and thoughtlessness.

I'm gonna have to agree with this.
Tribes 2 went huge because of the way they advertised it...I remember seeing Tribes 2 on TV, and the way they talked about it on a huge player scale....and they made it sound way fun.

Now as we settled into Tribes 2 with a peak of what like 200,000 give or take population?? The learning curve was like HOLY CRAP. Tribes was simply way ahead of its time, right about now is when they should have started with this type of game if you ask me.

Octopuss
Nugget

View Profile
20: April 14, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »
TN's still in a beta phase. I'll share in the optimism that once T-mail and clans get back up and running we might see a nice big growth of players.

Optimism and denial are two very different things, Shizuka. Tongue
Shizuka
Assault

View Profile
21: April 14, 2009, 11:04:43 AM »
TN's still in a beta phase. I'll share in the optimism that once T-mail and clans get back up and running we might see a nice big growth of players.

Optimism and denial are two very different things, Shizuka. Tongue

Denial is a river in Egypt. Everyone's got a boat.

The above is Shizuka Kamishima.
Why not?
MeBaD
Nugget

View Profile
22: April 14, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »
Tribes as a whole had a downfall due to people where not the nicest. It was not exactly an easy game to get into like many others. Most people never realized the huge community behind it. It wasn't very publisized. At this point people pay for graphics and shitty game play over ok graphics and sweet gameplay. That is why COD 15 comes out next month and there will be another mod for halflife tomorrow.

Competition like some of you know it was will never be back. Some still have that bug when you start thinkin about it and get a little choked up. I've had some great times over the 28 years on this earth, but nothing compares to the times I had in tribes 1 and 2. If I could give up everything I had now to be back home with all my old teammates on.... where to I send my wife and the keys to my jeep...
Abstract
Scout

View Profile
23: April 14, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
I've had some great times over the 28 years on this earth, but nothing compares to the times I had in tribes 1 and 2.

That is fucking sad.  Yeah, it's a great game, but seriously...

I am: DisChord81/KillMachine/Atlas/Abstract, in that order.
dirty-piss pinko
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
24: April 15, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »
Have any of you actually asked short term t2 players why they quit? In my experience it's because it just wasn't their style of game. Most of the friends I have who played a bit of tribes back in the day thought it was one of the better games ever made, it just wasn't made for them. Most of my video gaming friends have played everything from Zork to l4d, and just weren't as into Tribes2 as they could have been because it wasn't really what they were looking for in a game. These are long time Quake, Marathon and Tribes players, so the rocket jump and dist-weapons aren't anything new to these people. For whatever reason they just didn't fall into the t2 style. 9 out of 10 still agree that Tribes is a kickass game with brutal challenge - They just don't play it because, fuck, they just never played it to begin with. I played Counter-Strike a bit, it just wasn't what I was into - even if that's what a vast majority of computer game players are into. I'd honestly rather be playing quake right now anyway, but fuckit. I like tribes2 enough to stick around and play once in a whilefor the sake of this community.

Also, the learning curve is what most of us look for in games. Quake never would have become one of my favorite games if it weren't for the difficulty of playing among its online community. Tribes is the same. You really can't consider this game a failure - no matter the sales or player base- - when it gave so many of us twitchy hardcore assholes something else to get god damn good at.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:54:41 AM by dirty-piss pinko »
Kryand
Assault

View Profile
25: April 15, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
I have, and most the people I know who quit said that they don't really want to put forth the amount of time it would require to get good at T2. They agree that it looks amazing, but they just don't have to time to get to the point where they can enjoy it at the higher levels at which they see me play it.

Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
26: April 15, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
Topic: Where did T2 go wrong?

Top of my head reponse says "leets", clans, and competition did in t2. That and running out of keys. That and the depth of play for a scifi fps. There's a steep curve to the game, and many if not most folks will try to avoid that in the 3d world. Why bother with something where the leets kill them as soon as they spawn and they have to learn invos and loadouts and farming and so on, yet they may die just as quickly in cs but there's little learning curve to cs, and of course no turrets. But the clans left t2 for 1942, wow, or any other excuse game. Now they're all about doody4 and the like. But I have seen many come back with tribesnext, and this is not a bad thing.
charlie
Nugget

View Profile
27: April 15, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
Personally, I think if T2 ever went OpenSource as has been stated here recently, it will defiantly add a major positive in attracting a new peeps.Imagine the graphics being upgraded but keeping the same game play ( like what should have been with TV). I think there in lies the answer.

The younger crowd likes eye candy and bragging rights of being part of something new and cutting edge that they can call their own. As things are now, they don't want to band together with a bunch of old timers like us playing a dated game.

Think of where our mind set was back when T1 and t2 were new and cutting edge. Would anyone here have wanted to be part of a fresh forming PacMan group...lol.

Get my point? 
TheAngryTomato
Nugget³

View Profile
28: April 15, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
...younger crowd...bragging rights...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease for the love of all that is holy NO ACHIEVEMENTS!

That and I'm not too sure I want to attract the younger generation (though I am technically a part of it), for the most part they are morons. We have plenty of morons already. And I'm one of them.
blazzingroach
Nugget³

View Profile
29: April 20, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
Where did T2 go wrong?

When Sierra canned Dynamix.

BLAZE ON!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.tribalwar.com / #TribesNext Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines