The GREAT TRIBAL WAR! (wheeee!)

124»

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I'm sad that I've yet to actually PLAY a game :/ Never anyone on, and for a while I was seeding and nobody joined :(

Friday evenings are no good for me either, so that's double :(
  • Best bet is to make yourself available on a pickup night and come. We're workingo n concepts now that I had intended for GTW 2 originally.

GokouZWAR
  • edited March 2009
    The next phase is getting the MPB back into GTW. We took it out for several reasons, two of which being 1) the MPB wasn't practically usable on the GTW terrain due to the high terrain and difficulty driving it around, and 2) There wasn't a practical way to move it without driving.

So now we have an alternate method to the MPB's ability to move around which really excites me. The MPB can be easily moved by one player by himself and a suitable field base could be setup quickly from a single MPB. Obviously moving an MPB into position would take some great stealth since the thing sticks out like a sore thumb. With the extended visiable range the MPB would be easily spotted by the enemy thus turning down the advantage of having a shielded, sensor jamming, turret weilding mobile base.

Along with these changes we've made here, the spawning range of sentries and other objects, I have one other thing I've been considering adding: Limit the base turret to be placed only on terrain and not allowing for it to be placed on buildings or in buildings. The only down side I can see is that it would limit the ability to place turrets on the roof of a base where they'd be more effective, but it would also limit the ability to place turrets inside buildings and using them as door stops. Need some thoughts on that...

GokouZWAR

Here's the problem with that - The MPB is just one huge explosive target. Without some sort of viable defense, you could blast it to smithereens from a bomber flying a billion miles in the air, or just snipe it with a shrike. Ultimately this means that setting up a 'ghetto' base with your own power source, turret, and inventory station is far more durable and a harder target, as it sort of becomes an 'All your eggs in one basket' kind of thing.

I have two ideas. First idea - line the exterior of the MPB with shield generators that can only be destroyed by direct weapon hits - no splash damage (not sure if this was possible in T2, but whatever). While even just one is alive, the MPB will rapidly regenerate health, requiring you to attack it on foot to dislodge it.

Second idea is to make the MPB deploy with a area effect cloaking device and a longer-ranged sensor jamming effect. Personally I like the stealth idea, could open some exciting new tactics as well.
  • This sound awesome!
  • Check out our forums at www.gtwar.net.
  • lol omg...you guys are nutz. GTW has 5 MPB deploy limit. We've had standoffs that last more than 2 hours trying to break thru a 5 MPB "circled wagon" method where they surround the GPT with MPBs layered up with solar panels everywhere, with 5 base turrets mounted with mortar and elf turret combos. Since the range of the missile launcher turret was extended out to 750 meters attack range, you can't "snipe" with a shrike anymore. It's a combination of all the different turrets together that make a field base nearly unstoppable. Bombers are useless against MPBs without a jammer on board. Tanks can take out MPBs pretty easy at range with the chaingun cannon, but they're easily replaced without heavier attacking in place. If anything, we're going to make the MPB weaker against ground assault to make them HAVE a weakness. Even when you take out all the solars, the MPBs provide an easy method for restoring power by having inventory stations available. Unless you can take out all 5 MPBs before they can restore power to the GPT, the game can go on for hours. A field base as it sits right now is probably the easiest method for defending your GPT. All you need is one defender to be there to redeploy destroyed equipement, and the battle can go on for a while.

GokouZWAR
  • That's the truth. I held Gokou and DarkBasilisk off for over an hour all by myself from a field base. Talk about overbalanced.
  • how could we let the hottest topic on TN slip to the second page AGAIN?? omg...gez
  • So if this is the hottest/biggest/whatever topic on the TN forums, then why don't we ever have enough players on the pickup nights?
  • Bump.

We need more players showing up at pickup nights!

I'm always stuck there with maybe 1 or 2 other people. Most we have had is 5 people which was just last Friday.

Come on guys this was a great mod and I'd rather not have to see it die. Pickups are Tuesdays and Fridays starting at 7PM. I try to be there by 7:30 at the latest.
  • Just give this mod a try. You'll love it. Almost everyone who's tried it has loved it.
  • I say you give TAC MOD a try .... their fight night is on Friday's and start at 8:30-9:30pm eastern time. We usually don't stop playing until about 3-4 in the morning. if players stick around which usually the old players do.
  • edited May 2009
    FYI I just checked and for some reason the GTW forum on Bugspray's site is gone. No idea what happened to it or why it was yanked down without any notification to me. I'll probably setup another forum on my server. Perfect example why I didn't want it hosted outside my control. new site will be at www.greattribalwar.com since i own that DNS now.

GokouZWAR
  • Ahh no wonder I couldn't get to it.

Come to tomorrows pickup people before I start spamming IRC until I irritate enough people to give it a try. And goku, I found a couple interesting opinions about some changes you made, I'll post about it later.
  • FYI I just checked and for some reason the GTW forum on Bugspray's site is gone. No idea what happened to it or why it was yanked down without any notification to me. I'll probably setup another forum on my server. Perfect example why I didn't want it hosted outside my control. new site will be at www.greattribalwar.com since i own that DNS now.

GokouZWAR

There's been a GTW forum on The-Junkyard (tJY) for several years -- did you just forget that it was there?
  • Thought the Junkyard shut down ages ago.

Nope -- never had any blackouts/downtime; it's all there.

Linkage would be nice as well as the admin login info so I can take it over. Cuz I don't have control of that one. I think that's another bugspray forum.

Linkage would be nice as well as the admin login info so I can take it over. Cuz I don't have control of that one. I think that's another bugspray forum.

Login to your old forum account/make a new one if you don't have one and PM 'grey wolf' and he'll give you the necessary access. If in doubt; mention Jasio.
  • I have the gtw.vl2 file in my gamedata/base foulder, but each time I try to log onto the server I get a UE, is there anything I can try to do that might allow me to get onto the server, because I would really like to try out the mod.
  • Holy shit, you know every 6 months or so I randomly google GTW?

I used to play GTW quite a bit with a few of you guys here back in the day, I think my account name was "Coldlizard" or some shit like that. For some reason I used to have SA on the old Pandora Networks server.

Wow shit this is just awesome, I remember Uranium 235, we played that shit for days haha, god I'm really looking forward to getting back into this. I still got my T2 cd, anyone able to tell me the most idiot-way to get the game up and running and into the GTW games?

Damn, Goku nice to see your still around, I was allways really sad GTW work finished, your mod was such a nice break from the standard T2 gaming, big massive open areas and us making our own bases and hiding switches... sending lone people out looking for their switch in shrikes... god, epic game.

Looking forward to seeing you guys ingame.
  • Download and install T2 using one of the mirrors since they are already fully updated and ready for the patch. No CD key needed.

GTW is also serverside now but we need more maps. (Meaning you don't need the gtw.vl2 anymore as that may be the cause of the UEs).

Site is down and Goku is MIA but pickups are Tuesdays and Fridays 7-11PM. I can usually get on by 9.
  • Well, looks like its just as active a community as it ever was... been looking at the server page for the last hour or so, still at 0
  • Just FYI, I finally restored the forum: www.greattribalwar.com Sorry it took so long to get back online. I had to hack into the database to get a backup made so I could set it back up on my server. It's up and running again tho.
  • edited July 2009
    And yes I am no longer doing updates to GTW for the time being, but I am available via email if you guys need to get in touch with me for problems. Either post on the forum and I'll get it that way or drop me an email via pvt message on here. I've just got way to much on my plate to do T2 coding and I haven't really seen the numbers I had hoped to get by reopening the project, along with the massive naysayers all over the place, it just seems to me to be a waste of time to make something new when everyone wants the old stuff still. If I start to see a pickup in activity on the GTW forum then I'll at least be able to justify updates but right now, we have a pretty stable game and a lot of the features I wanted included in the game. Maps are something the community can make and if you make them I'll post them on the server so you can play em. Just remember they must be server side (IE one of the default map terrains) and you'll need to make the base size 32 blocks. There's also a map template floating around I think that you guys can use. If not I'll make one and post it on the gtw forum for people to download.

Just keep in mind that the forum is hosted on my ISP so if I go down so does the forum. If it doesn't come back up after a few days please email me to let me know it's down.
  • We're trying to get GTW active again. Keen is talking about rebuilding the mod from scratch - I don't if it's going to happen, but at any rate I'm going to try and have a pickup at 7:30 PM Eastern this Saturday (the 10th) on the MaxOGC GTW 1.8.1 server (if it's back up by then, which I don't know that it will be). If the server isn't up, then I guess we're not having a pickup.

Anyway, be there if you can!
  • Hey,well you can get the WAR2003 server files at www.tribeswar.com.Im currently hosting it on tribes next.....Does anyone know how to edit game files to add a tribe tag to warriors name? Ive seen a few on some servers but dont know which file to look in to make that change. The browser is still not up and running on tribes next so recruiting is impossible right now.
  • WOW! Good to see GTW around again!
  • Not really.