Tribes 2 rising from the ashes (The Phoenix Project)

Comments

• Well, even if it has been posted in the past, it might be worth a little bump if it coincides with a new development like a patch or a redesign of the site or something else fairly noteworthy.
  • It didn't get much attention on Digg. The biggest surge surely came from SomethingAwful.com (thus Goon Haven).
  • We need to work on getting the site up to scratch before we start advertising it all over the place. There is not much on this site that lets those new to the game know what tribes 2 is all about. No images, no videos, no info like what you would find in the manual for the game. We probably need to start with this website first and them move on from there.
  • no this site is awesome
  • OK then you must be easily pleased. Good for you.
  • Red_eyed your intentions are good but do you realize that no one really used the official tribes sites when the game was alive? This site only needs to make it easy to find exactly what you need and in my opinion it does. Would it hurt to upgrade this site? Not at all, but I'm just pointing out its not a must.

Back in the day the two biggest tribes community sites were tribalwar and planettribes. I'm not trying to step on peoples ideas here, but ya'll REALLY need to be thinking much bigger than you currently are if you want to do what you say you do. It also needs to be organized...you need to have a plan. Knock out the steps one at a time otherwise its just a horrible jumbled mess of attempts that get no real results.
  • Amazing!!!!! I thought T2 was dead and gone years ago!!!

Anyone out there from the old tribes???? 2_Rivers or any of the others?
  • Guys, I still have the full compliment of 2_rivers mods, maps and all that good stuff. If that will help, I can definitely donate them to the cause.

I'm so excited about this happening, I can't tell you.

2_Rivers_Ivans' Bones
    bill ;D
  • Guys, I still have the full compliment of 2_rivers mods, maps and all that good stuff. If that will help, I can definitely donate them to the cause.

I'm so excited about this happening, I can't tell you.

2_Rivers_Ivans' Bones
    bill ;D
    attach them in ur posties... plz and thankxs yous
  • It didn't get much attention on Digg. The biggest surge surely came from SomethingAwful.com (thus Goon Haven).
    There was a bit from StumbleUpon too. Front page got about 2500 hits, forums only got 2. One from each was me, so not a whole lot of help.
  • edited February 2013
    It is a good idea. I have been trying to spread the word, but I have a very small online sphere of influence.
  • Does everyone else know that Tribes 2 has a facebook group? JOIN!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/2219270113
  • edited February 2013
    I'm involved now too so at least that adds another clan owner who's been around since T1!

We play many games but adding TN and it's phenomenal work ...I mean I'm SO excited for RC3 when the emails and chats and everything comes out working. I'm considering donating a large sum of money for the TN-Master server to keep it online if this next release gives full functionality like in the old days of T2!

I'm currently in the process of setting up a test server for my clan and of course the public. In the next couple days we'll have one up.

If you'd like to check us out we're at http://outcastsnipers.com

It's VERY important that I say "THANK YOU" to the developers of TN. I'm a coder myself in the IdTech and UE engines I'm looking into what it entails for Tribes as well so the fact that you brought one of the best games of all time that influenced so many games out today is incredibly appreciated by at least me and I know hundreds if not soon to be thousands of others. If I can help in any way, you know how to find me.

Peace and LONG LIVE TRIBES!

...Seal...
  • Welcome Brother!!
  • Yes, it's always good to have people coming back. WELCOME!
  • edited February 2013
    I'm in the process of obtaining a VPS (enough ram and cpu and disk power to hold a good 32-64 players world-wide or at least a few smaller servers to offer more playing choices) to host our TN server(s) on. shouldn't be more than a couple days 'till we're up and running!
    I've already added a custom LGSL block for querying our server(s) live on our site (Live Game query which shows specific info and map screenshots and player names etc. LIVE in real time as well as linked to XLR stats, or any page required, currently it's linked here)

...Seal...
  • You, my friend, are awesome! Looking forward to this.
  • RC3 was supposed to be released about 3 years ago and the development roadmap was last updated a year ago. I think they stopped working on it.
  • I have talked to Thyth, and he said it only required about one full days work to be finished. But I don't think he really wants to spend the time on it, and he hates people bugging him about it. This makes me VERY sad. He is entitled to live his own life, though.
    LONG LIVE TRIBES!!!!!
  • BUMP
    thank you so much for the update!!!
  • Yes, I would def ask that he go ahead and finish it, please.
  • People! What about distribution through steam? I'm sure that they wouldn't mind to introduce a classic to the wide community
  • People! What about distribution through steam? I'm sure that they wouldn't mind to introduce a classic to the wide community

Doubt it.
  • And the reason is...?
    They have plenty of games that date from 2005 and way back to the 90's so I dont see why you can't give it a try and why to be such a stubborn skeptic ass... sheesh.
  • edited January 2014
    He's not being a stubborn skeptic ass, he's expressing his (well founded) doubts of the likelihood of such an endeavour coming to pass.

Because the game is a well established classic and the franchise is under ownership of a current Steam publisher partner (Hi-Rez), the game wouldn't have to go through Greenlight to be approved, which is a plus. However, because the franchise is owned by Hi-Rez, it would require explicit permission and involvement from them in order to be released on Steam at all.

Without the opportunity for financial gain, there is little to no incentive (aside from redeeming themselves in the hearts and minds of Tribes fans everywhere) for them to even give such a project consideration... let alone invest the marginal sum required to develop an update substantial enough to warrant purchasing the game when a free release exists -- as selling the game without a significant update would be seen as a major faux pas in the eyes of the community.

Sure it could be released on Steam as a free game if Hi-Rez were agreeable, but even then there are a number of changes that would need to be made for it to be distributed.

But hey, if you can convince Hi-Rez to give me permission, the T2 source code, and access to the Steamworks systems for my account, I'd be happy to do it.
  • He's not being a stubborn skeptic ass, he's expressing his (well founded) doubts of the likelihood of such an endeavour coming to pass.

Because the game is a well established classic and the franchise is under ownership of a current Steam publisher partner (Hi-Rez), the game wouldn't have to go through Greenlight to be approved, which is a plus. However, because the franchise is owned by Hi-Rez, it would require explicit permission and involvement from them in order to be released on Steam at all.

Without the opportunity for financial gain, there is little to no incentive (aside from redeeming themselves in the hearts and minds of Tribes fans everywhere) for them to even give such a project consideration... let alone invest the marginal sum required to develop an update substantial enough to warrant purchasing the game when a free release exists -- as selling the game without a significant update would be seen as a major faux pas in the eyes of the community.

Sure it could be released on Steam as a free game if Hi-Rez were agreeable, but even then there are a number of changes that would need to be made for it to be distributed.

But hey, if you can convince Hi-Rez to give me permission, the T2 source code, and access to the Steamworks systems for my account, I'd be happy to do it.

Precisely. Though on a point I might be being a stubborn skeptic ass about is the existence ... or rather, the location of the source code itself. Is there anyone to be known to even have the source code in their possession? We can make assumptions that Hi-Rez may have it but I'm not too sure about that.

If Hi-Rez for whatever reason does not possess the code but you can convince them to allow for the re-release, you might be able to track down one of the guys from the original Dynamix group (some work at GG now), someone from Loki or some guy that worked at Sierra but considering how all of them are defunct at this point, you probably have better chances of getting the code from GarageGames.

Although the interesting part is that Torque3D which is freely available is substantially similar to Torque in that it should be feasible to port the game's assets and most of its scripts to run on it in the event that the source code cannot be obtained. This would demand the re-implementation of some systems though, such as the artificial intelligence, hover vehicles, flying vehicles, spawn and AI graphs (which can be replaced with a dynamic path finding solution, really) and probably some changes to the scripting system to alleviate compatibility problems between code written for Tribes 2 and for Torque3D.
  • There's nobody from Dynamix working at GG that I can think of, but if it had been archived properly there, they would've been obligated to hand it over to Hi-Rez when they turned around and resold the franchise -- if anyone there had known where it was at the time, which considering they'd long since moved out of the Eugene office and lost pretty much everyone who might've kept track is a bit iffy. On that point, I do seem to remember years ago someone had interviewed somebody at Hi-Rez and found that they'd received a Vengrances SDK and the T1 source, but not the T2 source... So it is possible they didn't receive a copy. Even so, they should have, and it is owned by them, so would require their permission to use if found anywhere else.

The best bet to find it if Hi-Rez doesn't have it would probably be on an old backup disc or harddrive somebody from the old days may have squirreled away somewhere.

The T2 source itself would be needed to do a straight fully-compatible update with little pain involved and a short development time. There are early versions of the V12/Torque source around (the earliest I have is from mid-2001), but even then a number of portions had already diverged (or been removed for licensing reasons) and would need alternate implementations to support porting T2.

Porting to Torque3D is... not something that could be done easily or in a short time, and would likely be more a lot more trouble than it's worth, to say the least. The effort you'd have to expend would be a far cry from what you could justifiably call an update for the game. There comes a point when you go down that path where you might as well be developing an entirely new game, on a new engine, with new assets.
  • There's nobody from Dynamix working at GG that I can think of,

I oddly recall that there was and I don't know why.
  • It seems that the situation is much more complicated than I thought.
    I'm sure that Hi-rez knew already that TribesNext is existent and that they wouldn't have any more profit from that but why can't we just ask them in a diplomatic way to put it on Steam? Only just like that...

Isn't it pitty that our community just goes dying slowly and forced to move to COD(T):A so they could try fling discs like they liked it at autofags?