TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Support >  Experimental RC2 Support for Linux/Wine and MacOSX/Crossover Users « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Experimental RC2 Support for Linux/Wine and MacOSX/Crossover Users
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
June 17, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
This is an experimental release of a compatibility restoration patch for TribesNext under Wine.

To use this, follow these instructions:
1) Install the game from the GameSpy Installer (as you would in Windows).
2) Install the TribesNext RC2 patch on top of the game (as you would in Windows).
3) Copy msvcrt-ruby187.dll from the archive into .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/ and delete msvcrt-ruby190.dll that is in the same directory.
4) Overwrite .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/rubyintersect.dll with the one provided in this archive.
5) Launch the game normally.

This patch reverts the internal embedded interpreter version to Ruby 1.8.7 from Ruby 1.9.0 (which deadlocked in Wine, stopping the game from initializing); it also modifies the interpreter connector to work around the finicky requirements of the Ruby 1.8.7 code (which prompted the change to 1.9.0 in the first place).

All of the patch features should be functional, including creation of accounts under Wine, logging in, joining games, hosting games, and so forth. Please report back if you have difficulties doing any of those things.

While this modified patch can be applied to a Windows installation as well (which is where I did most of the client testing), nothing will be gained by doing so.
Attached files
* TribesNext_RC2_LinuxVersion.zip (373.89 KB - downloaded 2084 times.)

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
VashTexan
Nugget

View Profile
1: June 21, 2010, 09:17:38 AM »
I've been trying to test the patch on Linux, but I can't get any farther than the log-in screen for online.

When I try to log in, it says my log in name or password was incorrect. Even after having someone else make a new account for me, the same result. I checked and rechecked several times over that everything was correct.

When I try to make a new account myself, at Step One, it says "Please wait as the server status is checked" for a while, then it says "The server address has not yet been retrieved. Close this page and try again in a moment."

Read the FAQ.
jonah.harris
Nugget

View Profile WWW
2: June 21, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »
I followed the steps exactly, but I get the, "your game is not running the patched executable" message when trying to create an account.  My platform is Ubuntu 9.04 (x86) running wine-1.2-rc2.
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
3: June 21, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »
Can you run an MD5 and/or SHA1 on the Tribes2.exe located in GameData? Sounds like the installer failed to apply the binary delta patch.

Original values are:
MD5(Tribes2.exe)= 188cbf910fa40e56b7c9382113e15cc9
SHA1(Tribes2.exe)= 0e1af0b89ec571305fac241c8907987130f30bab

Patched values are:
MD5(Tribes2.exe)= 766bc1bd4fde4c59f44093df8bbefa6b
SHA1(Tribes2.exe)= 55cdfe2b360233def9a06a7a45ce8df3a319cbfb

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
jonah.harris
Nugget

View Profile WWW
4: June 21, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
jharris@jd:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ md5sum Tribes2.exe
766bc1bd4fde4c59f44093df8bbefa6b  Tribes2.exe
jharris@jd:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ sha1sum Tribes2.exe
55cdfe2b360233def9a06a7a45ce8df3a319cbfb  Tribes2.exe
tweak
Nugget

View Profile
5: June 21, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
jharris@jd:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ md5sum Tribes2.exe
766bc1bd4fde4c59f44093df8bbefa6b  Tribes2.exe
jharris@jd:~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData$ sha1sum Tribes2.exe
55cdfe2b360233def9a06a7a45ce8df3a319cbfb  Tribes2.exe

I can confirm the same hashes under ubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.2-rc4
VashTexan
Nugget

View Profile
6: June 22, 2010, 07:30:40 AM »
Sorry about not putting the most important part: the wine version.

For the test I tried above, I used wine-1.2-rc1, because theoretically (and I've sometimes found to be true) wine-1.2 is much more compatible with programs.

However, it seems Tribes 2 is stuck at older versions of wine. I got through the log-in just fine with good old, long&tough-tested

wine-1.1.11

I have yet to test how long I can play online without an UE. I'll post again when I find out whether or not UE frequency is still ridiculous (it was usually at least 1 per map, with some maps doing them non-stop). Tell me if a specific UE number is important, as the crashes are often difficult to recover from.

As for the "your game is not running the patched executable" message, I got that too at some points, but that was just because of the .cs.dso 's. Use a DSO-remover and it should at least get rid of that. However, I think you'll run into the same hitch I did, so you might wanna try wine-1.1.11 or a similar Tribes-2 compatible version (I'm not certain of all the versions that work, myself).

EDIT: Played from 18:30 starting on map Mimicry, but it crashed at 18:48 on map Damnation with: "err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x3cd4d0" in the terminal, instantly, with no pop-up UE.

Again at 18:58 on map Damnation, same instantaneous with no pop-up UE: "err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x3cd4d0
err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
wine client error:9: write: Bad file descriptor"
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:22:48 AM by VashTexan »

Read the FAQ.
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
7: June 22, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »
I should clarify that this modified patch version only fixes the Wine incompatibility regression introduced between the RC1e and RC2 versions of the TribesNext patch, when I upgraded the Ruby interpreter version.

The interpreter problem was a serious show stopper (game wouldn't launch), but certainly not the only issue leading to instability in the game. As I don't have source code to the game, I can't solve the larger problems caused by the differences in W32 API implementations between Windows proper and Wine. The most I can do is ensure that the code I add doesn't lead to additional problems.

Nil is working on replacements for the script based TCP sockets, which are evidently a big source of unhandled exceptions when running in Wine (and used heavily in the TribesNext patch to implement account server interfaces, list server interfaces, IRC, and soon browser/mail). When I merge those changes, it may improve stability somewhat.

As far as specific UEs, the only value of real interest is the address (in that case 0x3cd4d0), which states the machine-code instruction address that threw an exception. Unfortunately, without a full stack trace, and without the source code to the game, it's difficult (and very time consuming) to really do anything about the particular instabilities.

VashTexan
Nugget

View Profile
8: June 23, 2010, 04:54:30 AM »
Ah, I see. In that case, the least I can do is test if I can Create a new account. So I did...

I got all the way through Step Three of the process. On pushing the [Finish] button at Creating a new account, the game and mouse freeze up ->

*Terminal:

err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 816 bytes in thread 001e eip f7c5e8e6 esp 00411000 stack 0x410000-0x411000-0x610000

*Pop-Up UE:

Unhandled exception: c0000094
At address: 0042d8ae

I could NOT log in with the account I tried to make, so the message did not get through to the Account server.

Hope this helps, tell me if you need anything more tested, or if there's any logs I can send to give more information.

Read the FAQ.
lpbbear
Nugget

View Profile
9: June 30, 2010, 04:10:26 AM »
I have tried this method and it worked for me. Other than some issues during the initial log in the game has been stable in Linux....so far. Smiley

See my post at the Legends forums regarding this.

http://legendsthegame.net/forums/showpost.php?p=24501&postcount=3

Main thread link.

http://legendsthegame.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2619
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
10: June 30, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
yay for linux!
VashTexan
Nugget

View Profile
11: July 04, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
I have tried this method and it worked for me. Other than some issues during the initial log in the game has been stable in Linux....so far. Smiley

See my post at the Legends forums regarding this.

http://legendsthegame.net/forums/showpost.php?p=24501&postcount=3

Main thread link.

http://legendsthegame.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2619

I'm sorry but it doesn't work for me. After installing Tribes 2 with the Tribes Next RC2a patch, I had to alternate between installations of wine-1.1.11 and wine-1.2-rc5, and I found that I can ONLY log in online with wine-1.1.11.

Whenever I try to log in with wine-1.2-rc5, I get that the password is incorrect and to check the username/password, even though I set it to remember the exact same password with wine-1.1.11 (and it consistently did remember the correct password with wine-1.1.11 and the log-in went just fine). Oftentimes, the game also freezes up when trying to log-in with wine-1.2-rc5.

I can NOT get past the authentication part, and it certainly won't allow me to retrieve the account properly either because "The password is not correct. Try again." So no retrieving my account and no log-in.

Read the FAQ.
lpbbear
Nugget

View Profile
12: July 05, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
I'm sorry but it doesn't work for me. After installing Tribes 2 with the Tribes Next RC2a patch, I had to alternate between installations of wine-1.1.11 and wine-1.2-rc5, and I found that I can ONLY log in online with wine-1.1.11.

Sorry to hear it did not work for you as well as it did for me. I update my Wine version with every new release so I will post back how my copy is doing. In the past I have seen numerous regressions and later fixes as Wine has progressed so I expect occasional issues as I update.

(Thanks to Thyth for making the effort at supporting us Linux users BTW)

BTW, enjoyed chatting and playing with you yesterday in Legends.
VashTexan
Nugget

View Profile
13: July 05, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
Sorry to hear it did not work for you as well as it did for me. I update my Wine version with every new release so I will post back how my copy is doing. In the past I have seen numerous regressions and later fixes as Wine has progressed so I expect occasional issues as I update.

Yes, we can only hope each new wine version will help more than it'll break.

(Thanks to Thyth for making the effort at supporting us Linux users BTW)

Hear, hear!  Cheesy

BTW, enjoyed chatting and playing with you yesterday in Legends.

Likewise, though I'm not usually so free. It still amazes me Shocked , as I've been wishing for a true Tribes 2 remake since long, and here it is, as Legends!  Cheesy  Grin But I'm wondering if it would be okay to take what was left over from failed Tribes 2 remakes, as at least RenWorks' Ascension released the code base for what they completed. Maybe it could help a bit?  (Note, it might not be a good idea to discuss it here, in this thread... It's just food for thought).  Wink

Read the FAQ.
EliTe3K
Nugget

View Profile
14: July 18, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
Are there any known issues with the new iMac computers running t2 ?
If so what should I expect ? And a resolve for known issues ..
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard
    *  NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
    * ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    *  3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache

* 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache
just some specs on what I may get ....just wondering if anyone had any issues running t2 with this set? thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines