TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Support >  Experimental RC2 Support for Linux/Wine and MacOSX/Crossover Users « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Experimental RC2 Support for Linux/Wine and MacOSX/Crossover Users
lpbbear
Nugget

View Profile
15: July 25, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »
Just to let anyone know who is following this thread. I recently updated Wine to the latest release, 1.2, and so far no problems at all on Linux. I did see some problems with the rc versions just before this but this full version has worked flawlessly. Just spent about an hour and a half playing with no crashes.
Apex
Nugget

View Profile
16: August 12, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
I followed the steps exactly, but I get the, "your game is not running the patched executable" message when trying to create an account.  My platform is Ubuntu 9.04 (x86) running wine-1.2-rc2.

I can confirm this, Ubuntu 10.04. About to try again with an older build of wine.

--Edit--
Client seems to run fine under Wine 1, as opposed to the newer 1.2.

Upon attempting to connect to a server running the experimental patch, this happens:
And the client whines about either having an invalid account certificate, or receiving an invalid response from the server. I'll try running the server under different versions of Wine to see if anything changes.

--2nd Edit --
Server seems to run properly under Wine 1. Haven't tested for extended periods of time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:24:12 PM by Apex »
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
17: August 13, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
I assume in the script code that the Ruby interpreter is functioning properly. The runtime errors seem to indicate otherwise. If the Ruby interpreter is returning wonky data (during connection, those would be signature checks and SHA1 hashes), it's easily possible that the script will fail in strange ways.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
Spencer
Nugget

View Profile
18: October 15, 2010, 08:56:58 AM »
Alright, I had a go at installing windows on my mac using boot camp but it did not work and it seems like it will be more of a headache then trying to get this workaround to work.  I have installed T2 / rc2 again with crossover games and followed the instructions in this thread but T2 will not launch.  The T2 icon shows up in the doc for a few secs then just goes away.  What might my next steps be?
Spencer
Nugget

View Profile
19: October 15, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »
I'll check into the IRC channel to try and catch you Thyth, hopefully you can shed some light on my problem then.

EDIT: Apex has helped me out on the IRC channel, I will be able to test his fix tonight but I think it will work.  Thanks man!

EDIT: Fix worked, thanks.  See you online
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:04:44 PM by Spencer »
djfuq
Nugget

View Profile
20: December 09, 2010, 01:29:17 AM »
Hi all,

Here are my results:

Dist:  Ubuntu 10.10  amd64

HW: P55 chipset - i5 cpu - nvgeforce 240gs

wine 1.2 ---------------------------------------------

Install procedure
Install game:
wine Downloads/tribes2gsi.exe
wine Downloads/TribesNext_rc2a.exe

Output folder: C:\Tribes2\GameData
Patching console_start.cs.
Copy to C:\Tribes2\GameData\console_start.cs.bak
Rename: C:\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe->C:\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe.bak
Extract: jpatch-w32.exe
Extract: patch.bdiff
Patching Tribes2.exe.
Delete file: jpatch-w32.exe
Delete file: patch.bdiff
Installing everything else.
Rename: C:\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe->C:\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe.bak
Extract: SierraUp.exe
Extract: t2csri_eula.txt
Extract: t2dll.dll
Extract: rubyintersect.dll
We know you like it.
Extract: msvcrt-ruby190.dll
Output folder: C:\Tribes2\GameData\base
Extract: T2csri.vl2
Created uninstaller: C:\Tribes2\GameData\TN_Uninstall.exe
Completed

Copy msvcrt-ruby187.dll from the archive into .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/ and delete msvcrt-ruby190.dll that is in the same directory.
Overwrite .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/rubyintersect.dll with the one provided in this archive.

It starts
At first it complained that my game wasnt running the patched executable.
I closed the game, and reapplied the patched exe again.
I then recopied the dlls from Thyth's ruby stuff
deleted msvcrt-ruby190.dll again

reran, this time got different result when trying to retrieve account
"Credential download failed"

tried this with both my accounts.

same thing.

now tried to create another account:
first time "please wait as the server status is checked"
got:
"the server address has not yet been retrieved"

then

"the account server is OFFLINE and unreach...."

hit cancel

tried create account again

now the shit works and says
"the account server is online and connectable"

so I continue through the process of making an account
get to the end when i have chosen account name and pw
UE c0000094
at addr  0042d8e

tried deleting dso files and doing all the above again... no dice

open it again "your game is not running the patched exe"
im like wtf at this point.. is it cos i deleted the dso files?  yes.
hmmm

also tested with wine1.3 with same result.
(deleted the .wine dir each time in reinstall wine)

I am baffled. wtf could be wrong??

its almost like the networking in T2 is hosed..

what should I try next?

ahh i know try wine1.0

removed .wine dir in home folder
removed wine1.3

installed wine1.0

Install procedure
Install game:
wine Downloads/tribes2gsi.exe
wine Downloads/TribesNext_rc2a.exe

Output folder: C:\Tribes2\GameData
Patching console_start.cs.
Copy to C:\Tribes2\GameData\console_start.cs.bak
Rename: C:\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe->C:\Tribes2\GameData\Tribes2.exe.bak
Extract: jpatch-w32.exe
Extract: patch.bdiff
Patching Tribes2.exe.
Delete file: jpatch-w32.exe
Delete file: patch.bdiff
Installing everything else.
Rename: C:\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe->C:\Tribes2\GameData\SierraUp.exe.bak
Extract: SierraUp.exe
Extract: t2csri_eula.txt
Extract: t2dll.dll
Extract: rubyintersect.dll
We know you like it.
Extract: msvcrt-ruby190.dll
Output folder: C:\Tribes2\GameData\base
Extract: T2csri.vl2
Created uninstaller: C:\Tribes2\GameData\TN_Uninstall.exe
Completed

Copy msvcrt-ruby187.dll from the archive into .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/ and delete msvcrt-ruby190.dll that is in the same directory.
Overwrite .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/rubyintersect.dll with the one provided in this archive.

MOTHERFUCKING BINGO!!! YESSSS!!!  YESSS!! IT WORKS!!! OMG THANKS!!!!! YEY!!!!!

well I guess lesson learned... use wine1.0 if you want this game to run.
Pun1sher
Nugget

View Profile
21: April 15, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »
I'm running snow leopard, can't get this to work.

I tried installing on a windows 7 virtual machine first, but i always get unhandled exceptions at launch.(c0000005 at adress 0000000) i'm still going through the troubleshooting there, but i'd rather play trough wine if possible.

I did the installation as described here, everything appeared to go well, however when i go to launch nothing happens. is there something i have to do with wine? and what do you mean by "gamespy installer"?

sorry if these are noob questions, i'm just really trying to make this work. i actually remember playing construction with thyth(wasn't it electrutioner back then?) years ago. good times.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:12:55 AM by Pun1sher »
Turkeh
nil

View Profile
22: April 15, 2011, 04:50:01 AM »
The "gamespy installer" is the Tribes2_gsi.exe that you can find in the downloads section.

The unhandled exception for win7 is probably because the VM doesn't have direct access to the GPU, so it likely didn't load a proper driver with support for OpenGL/D3D.

Try running your wine based install via the terminal, and see what it cries about there...
Code:
$ cd /path/to/Tribes2/GameData/
$ wine ./Tribes2.exe -online

Read the FAQs!

Search before posting support requests.
Pun1sher
Nugget

View Profile
23: April 15, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »
The "gamespy installer" is the Tribes2_gsi.exe that you can find in the downloads section.

The unhandled exception for win7 is probably because the VM doesn't have direct access to the GPU, so it likely didn't load a proper driver with support for OpenGL/D3D.

Try running your wine based install via the terminal, and see what it cries about there...
Code:

When i put in the file path to gamedata it just tells me that is a directory, and when i put in the next line it just says "command not found"
Heat Killer
Scout

View Profile
24: April 18, 2011, 09:42:35 AM »

Code:

When i put in the file path to gamedata it just tells me that is a directory, and when i put in the next line it just says "command not found"
Make sure you point the cd command to the correct dirrectory.  'cd' means change directory, which is like navigating to that folder using finder.
"command not found" probably means you do not have wine installed ocrrectly

juliandola
Nugget

View Profile
25: May 20, 2011, 05:50:31 AM »
this work fine...i have problem for locate that post. i think this must be up in search, or link to the index, for the linux player...
i need 2 days search for locate...

Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile

June 17, 2010, 05:57:15 PM

This is an experimental release of a compatibility restoration patch for TribesNext under Wine.

To use this, follow these instructions:
1) Install the game from the GameSpy Installer (as you would in Windows).
2) Install the TribesNext RC2 patch on top of the game (as you would in Windows).
3) Copy msvcrt-ruby187.dll from the archive into .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/ and delete msvcrt-ruby190.dll that is in the same directory.
4) Overwrite .wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/rubyintersect.dll with the one provided in this archive.
5) Launch the game normally.

This patch reverts the internal embedded interpreter version to Ruby 1.8.7 from Ruby 1.9.0 (which deadlocked in Wine, stopping the game from initializing); it also modifies the interpreter connector to work around the finicky requirements of the Ruby 1.8.7 code (which prompted the change to 1.9.0 in the first place).

All of the patch features should be functional, including creation of accounts under Wine, logging in, joining games, hosting games, and so forth. Please report back if you have difficulties doing any of those things.

While this modified patch can be applied to a Windows installation as well (which is where I did most of the client testing), nothing will be gained by doing so.
Attached files
* TribesNext_RC2_LinuxVersion.zip (373.89 KB - downloaded 280 times.)
JudgeHershey
Nugget

View Profile
26: May 21, 2011, 01:03:17 AM »
It's tricky to find all the right info right away, but here it's the first post, and it's stickied (always at the top of the Support forum). The only thing missing is a working wine version. So far, Wine-1.0 seems to run the best with the set-up. Others tend to give problems, or much more frequent UEs.

It would be nice to have a link and instructions right on the official downloads page, specifically for Linux... (Get Wine 1.0 or Wine ___ , Get Tribes2gsi, etc.). I guess the same for Mac. Although, non-Windows users tend to be a bit more persistent than Windows users when trying to find something and get something to work (hence the 2 days... although I call that a bad search or a terrible connection).

Best Wine versions (in order of best to worst):

1) Wine-1.0
2) Wine-1.1.11
3) Wine-1.0.1
4) Wine-1.2
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:09:53 AM by JudgeHershey »

Questions? Pls read the FAQ and Search.
Linux Guide & Support: -->HERE<--
MaDAssassin
Nugget

View Profile
27: July 04, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »
Can someone please post the archive with ruby 1.8.7 and the other dll?

Thanks
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
28: July 04, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
The archive is attached to the first post of this thread.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
cnaeus
Nugget²

View Profile
29: July 14, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »
Um, how can I execute the bat file in wine, that's needed to run tribes? Cuz my wine does not recognize bat files... Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines
anything