No heartbeat

Well, i have had a server running for a while and all of a sudden it just kept saying "Local" time and not sending heartbeats at all... I thought maybe tricon had something to do with it... (luckily i had backups of my original files that were untouched that got this server up and running) So i extracted to new folder, updated with latest tribesnext patch, tried running server with tricon, no go... still no heartbeat. Made a new copy of tribes(deleting old and starting fresh again) removed tricon from all prefs and everything, set in my mod and it still would not send a heartbeat request... So I thought hmm... maybe its my router, completely bypassed direct to modem... it has no firewall or anything, direct access, no change... reload again, update, use base dedicated, still would not send heartbeat request... am i doing something wrong? Being that i used base items and got nowhere, its not my serverprefs... or anything else that i know of that has to do with the mod... any ideas?

Comments

• Basically its giving the time and it says (local) and no heartbeat... It has the -online switch in my BAT file... does the same with or without the switch, but like i said before, nothing changed and all of a sudden it craps out and stops sending heartbeats
  • Hi
    Check your networking? Any app trying to stop the server from net access?
  • blank slate server... just running xp, no firewall, no av program(as i control every aspect of that computer... i know what goes in and out, I put on a traffic analyser today and it is not even sending the damn heartbeat like its only working in lan mode... i used the online switch in my bat file.. how does the heartbeat system work, where is the code for it and everything... i have been unable to locate anything like $host::Beat:tribesnext.com:80 or some such bs
  • people can still connect to it... its just not sending heartbeat
  • Thyth or someone else will have to chime in on this. I suspect but am not sure that heartbeats are hardcoded into the engine. I also suspect a script or update or mod, some kind of errant code is keeping the beats from being sent. Also, does the server create serverprefs.dso files? Delete it if present and see if the server creates them as it should. If no serverprefs.dso files are created, there is something wrong with the server that needs to be addressed, mod, update, setting, the bug is somewhere. Always see if the server is creating serverprefs dsos before adding scripts or updates or mods. If it is not, something is wrong.
  • I can install the patch while the server is running and magically it sends a heartbeat... I am building a script to auto install the patch so its at least functional for the time being... something is definetely going on... but im not sure what quit yet, checked eventlogs for possible errors... none. so this is kinda buggin me because that doesnt make alot of sense unless something crashed(like the script/exe that uses the T2csri.lvl2 file to send heartbeats)
  • edited July 2011
    people can still connect to it... its just not sending heartbeat
    Definitely a Thyth thing, the only thing I can think of (because this is happening to me) is that your router has it port forwarding messed up, do you have a router connected to a modem or is it a router-modem combo like Verizon does? Comcast has a poor router-modem combo, so a lot of people plug a wireless router in and use that.

If your using another wireless router like people do with Xfinity, you need to:

Modem - Port forward your router -> Router - Port forward your Computer-> Computer -
    Check your firewall and any scripts that could cause an issue
  • i know its a little long and obnoxious just to answer a few things... its not ports... Direct connect cable modem outside ip, no change.. I am a network admin and am not awesome with coding, hence why i am here... The original coders, i need some information if i am to fully resolve, at this point i have taken off my script and it is still functional, which makes even less sense... I wish i could roll back and find the exact problem, as i am sure others have had issues
  • edited July 2011
    Because of the way the system is designed, a correctly patched clean installation of the game will always attempt to send a heartbeat when a server is run using the "-dedicated" switch or started from ingame in online mode. The StartHeartbeat() function, which is called by every online mode server after completing most of the loading (as long as you haven't set the "Display on Master" option / $pref::Net::DisplayOnMaster to "Never") is hooked in a package that is automatically executed on startup. It thereafter sends a heartbeat to the master server every 3 minutes; this is done via a GET request over TCP on port 80 - a basic HTTP request.
    Regardless of the successful completion of the request, it will always tell you that the heartbeat is being sent unless you have specifically set it not to.

If the connection is not being attempted at all, there are only a few things it would mean in normal scenarios:
    - The package is unable to overload the required function. This is likely due to a conflicting third-party script or mod.
    - The server is running in offline (-nologin) mode.
    - The patch is incorrectly installed and T2csri.vl2 is not in your "base" directory.
    - $pref::Net::DisplayOnMaster (clientPrefs.cs) is set to "Never"

Because you've mentioned running Tricon, the most likely scenario is a conflict, or error in the package management system due to the multitude of packages used by the script. I would recommend using a different server administration solution if you need one.

Edit: Also, installing the patch while the game server is running will absolutely not have any effect in your favour, considering the only scripts involved are loaded into memory when the server starts.