Tribes 2: TribesNEXT (PlayOnLinux)

This is the POL Script for Tribes 2. It will install and set everything up for you to play on Linux.

v1-
Installs Tribes 2 - Patches with TribesNEXT and applies Ruby fix found in Linux support thread.

Future versions will feature auto installing map packs and mods, but I need to know which ones I should include? I'm already going to include Construction Mod.

Save to your home folder, open PlayOnLinux go to Tools -> Open Local Script - Select TribesNEXT.txt and go.

Comments

• I had issues using WINE 1.5 when I've done this manually as the script specifies, the game ran but it would not acknowledge that the game was patched. This was on a Crunchbang Linux machine and on a LUBuntu 13.10 machine. I've had to use WINE 1.6 when using the fixes.
  • I had issues using WINE 1.5 when I've done this manually as the script specifies, the game ran but it would not acknowledge that the game was patched. This was on a Crunchbang Linux machine and on a LUBuntu 13.10 machine. I've had to use WINE 1.6 when using the fixes.

Okay...the forum is having a shit fit on me for some reason about a session...

Have you tried just running the script to do a fresh T2 install? When I was writing the script I ran into the not patched issue, but then I cleared the prefix and deleted the virtual drive it created all together and ran the script start to finish and it worked flawless.

If you have issues still let me know and I'll update the script to add a selection for wine versions, I also plan on adding an option to grab a map pack I'm throwing on my website and a few other things.

Let me know! :)
  • Nice job, I havn't played Tribes 2 since very long time and I discover there are still an active community there. I will try this linux port as soon as I can and come back play some CTF! :)
  • Nice job, I havn't played Tribes 2 since very long time and I discover there are still an active community there. I will try this linux port as soon as I can and come back play some CTF! :)

I've also experimentally hacked in partial TN functionality into the actual Loki port of the game but the login code doesn't operate correctly. It operates after login when given an already decoded client key but that defeats the purpose of encrypting them to begin with.
  • Tested with success on ubuntu 13.10.
    There was a failure on download some data during the install but It's work if you download separately and browse from disk.
    I apply patch from this thread http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=2095.0 (the ruby patch)
    In game, I found a bug on control assign setting, if a key is already bind and click "yes" to replace it, I'm stuck with this key for all the next change. I have to reboot the game to assign a new key... But I have to do it just one time so it's ok.
    If you use filter outbound packet you need to allow TCP 60659 to login and UDP 28000 and 28001 to play.

Thanks for fix guys. This game worth playing!
  • Hi, I'm trying to run this on Ubuntu 12.04, but when loading the TribesNEXT.txt into the playonlinux interface, I get these errors:
    /usr/share/playonlinux/bash/expert/Executer: line 25: cfg_check: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 10: $'\r': command not found
    : No such file or directorysNEXT.txt: line 12: /usr/share/playonlinux/lib/sources
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 13: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 16: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 17: $'POL_SetupWindow_Init\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 18: $'POL_Debug_Init\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 19: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 20: POL_SetupWindow_presentation: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 21: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 22: POL_Wine_SelectPrefix: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 23: POL_Wine_PrefixCreate: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 24: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 25: POL_System_TmpCreate: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 26: $'\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 27: POL_SetupWindow_wait: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 28: POL_Call: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 29: POL_Call: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 30: $'POL_Wine_InstallFonts\r': command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 31: Set_Managed: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 32: POL_SetupWindow_message: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 33: POL_SetupWindow_InstallMethod: command not found
    /home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 39: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
    'home/userneem/Downloads/T2/TribesNEXT.txt: line 39: ` elif [ "$INSTALL_METHOD" = "DOWNLOAD" ]

This is just a standard fresh playonlinux installation. Previous to this it had to set up some stuff because it ran for the first time, so I got this output from that:
    userneem@lapz:~$ playonlinux

(python:5240): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(python:5240): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

rm: cannot remove `*': No such file or directory
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Offline PlayOnLinux...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Offline PlayOnLinux'.
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Capture...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Capture'.
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Transgaming Cedega...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Transgaming Cedega'.
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Wine Import...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Wine Import'.
    touch: cannot touch `/home/userneem/.PlayOnLinux//plugins/Wine Import/enabled': No such file or directory
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Wine Look...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Wine Look'.
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Screen Capture...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'Screen Capture'.
    [maj_check] Message: Web version : 1394812290
    [maj_check] Message: Current local version :
    [maj_check] Message: Updating list
    touch: cannot touch `/home/userneem/.PlayOnLinux//plugins/Screen Capture/enabled': No such file or directory
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: PlayOnLinux Vault...
    [install_plugins] Message:    -->Installing plugin: 'PlayOnLinux Vault'.
    [POL_Wine_SelectPrefix] Message: Selecting prefix:
    [POL_Wine_PrefixCreate] Message: Creating prefix ()...
    [POL_Wine_PrefixCreate] Message: Prefix already exists
    [POL_Wine] Message: Running wine- cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles%
    fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
    err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x61e45620 1 61e40000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x61776ba0 1 61700000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x64f69540 1 64f40000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x622c6620 1 622c0000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x6ce47620 1 6ce40000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x682d4b20 1 682c0000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x638d1dc0 1 63800000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x4c6ea0 1 4a0000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x68f5b6a0 1 68f40000: stub
    fixme:seh:RtlAddFunctionTable 0x6b431bc0 1 69c40000: stub
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xece2f8, overlapped 0xece2c0): stub
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xe9e8cc, overlapped 0xe9e8b0): stub
    wine: configuration in '/home/userneem/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/default' has been updated.
    [POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 0

Am I doing something wrong here?
  • Doing wrong? That's doubtful, but judging from all the "command not found" messages and you fact your running Ubuntu 12.04 is a good indication your PlayonLinux is probably out of date.

Hi, I'm trying to run this on Ubuntu 12.04, but when loading the TribesNEXT.txt into the playonlinux interface, I get these errors:

Am I doing something wrong here?