T:A SDK

Alright, so I heard about the... "release" of the SDK and have read a few articles where Hi-Rez says "Go forth and improve the game" So I was wondering if there is anyone with the intention to take T:A and add in the other Tribes, and maybe more custom armors. Since I think Hi-Rez considers the game finished I think, along with maps etc. I wonder how many people would like to create a lore section or add in other tribes. Don't get me wrong, I am a loyal Sworder, but I wouldn't mind the opportunity to play as a Child of the Phoenix or Starwolf. Thoughts?

Comments

• I hope Tribes: Ascend is kept going by a small community like Tribes 2.
  • So do I but I wouldn't be afraid to help it grow. Needs at least the same number as Armoured Core Verdict Day. About 300 active players.
  • Just reviewed the story of the SDK and trying to catch up on matters...

http://wiki.theexiled.pwnageservers.com/Tribes:_Ascend/SDK
  • Ah. Didn't see that article yet. I saw a couple of interviews, but I don't know how current they are.
  • I contacted Hi-Rez last week and offered to volunteer to help and asked them also if they are interested in selling it, how much.

No word back and was very informal, and not to the person who plan on contacting later on this month about it, who I am hoping will at least take into consideration a few things, that others and myself have expressed in general about the game, as it relates and compares to T2.

Check out the movie, "video games..." great documentary on the history of the industry and just read review of firefall on wired this am and notice it looks like may be a dud and then read a little on how few ways to kickstart game campaigns and funding by crowd sourcing.

Lots of potential to monetize and while at same time, develop the best game in the world.
  • Oooh. Keep me updated on talking to Hi-Rez and the price they may place on the franchise. As a community, if we could take over development and buy the IP we could put in the other tribes and everything else we as a community would want. I would like to find the Lore of the Universe again and add it back to T:A so it isn't just an awesome shooter and people actually know why things are the way they are. Thoughts?
  • Oooh. Keep me updated on talking to Hi-Rez and the price they may place on the franchise. As a community, if we could take over development and buy the IP we could put in the other tribes and everything else we as a community would want. I would like to find the Lore of the Universe again and add it back to T:A so it isn't just an awesome shooter and people actually know why things are the way they are. Thoughts?

Will do, as I was thinking of proposing numerous consideration:

Cloud Based and Browser Based Play- Besides just being available on Playstation and Xbox version, having it cloud based is something that may be feasible, that could be played in Browser and no need to download large client file and could have it be terrabytes over the years, as worlds are built, maps and mods added, etc.,

The big one, is to see if they would consider making it open source or creative commons or license out the source code in a way, that software developers, community, i.e., anyone can make their own versions of it and improve and help build the master with features that are created and inspired by user feedback and suggestions.

With the modding capabilities being centralized in a way that developers can open share the code and mods in ways, to help build more characters, skins, and all, and developers, skinners, mappers, and everyone, can upload their mods to be available for everyone to try in the "Universe"

The universe if infinite and is ever expanding space over time and they can be rated and scored, reviewed by players, in a way that before changing planets, galaxies or worlds, etc., can read about it before transport/teleport [enter/join]

I thought Universe was going to be out by end of 2001 to be honest and with Dave Georgenson left for Sony to do Planetside and had been flamed so hard by the trolls, of Tribes... The thread had read about Universe in Tribes 2, and challenging others for territory and resources, and other aspects happening in tribes, seem to be more of the same Hi-rez is suggesting now, as in, not, and maybe a T:A II or nothing at all.

They do not have the resources, i.e., funds to pull it off.

In the movie doc" Video Games" they said there was on one game, a massive amount of hours, to make one game...forgot name and amount of hours, as I'd like to say it was 3000 years or something like that, as I did the math when watching it, and they developer mentioned it...huge amount of hours, for any company and then, even then, the costs.

As the game needs to be constantly improving, while at the same time, still offer a legacy mode for those who do not want or desire any change and like it a certain way, like no tanks or turrets or certain version mod, that is set by them, and they run the host/server settings/world they way they choose, with simple GUI of settings that can adjust and tweak to their hearts contents... be it adding vehicles developed by others and tweak each one, to be however they choose, so shrike can go as fast and have force field shields or whatever mods options are.

The only way to make the perfect game is, unite the community/players, of course, though in reality, the only way that is going to happen is with the developers, who build the core and expansions...and without them, the limitations will be obvious.

The vision of each modder and world builder, with a VR Experience removes the sky limit and that is how I believe Tribes can not only survive, it can thrive is such a way, that others will be following suite with the model or joining to be a part of it...the largest and greatest open source or other license type, of game in the world.

It does not have to be tribes IP and can be done with out it, no doubt there...only reason like to work with Hi-Rez, is it will be good for them and they currently own it.

Can be done from scratch with new game, of course and could have like "tribes 1 world, tribes 2 base world, tribes 2 shifter mod world, BF4 World, COD World, or whatever game one wanted to have a mod world for, and if anyone complained from a company claiming infringement, could be handled in way to resolve or have some preventive measures, to help, like not allowed terms and names, of games who are on blacklist and just use knock of name, or however, so any game that has a following, could have it all in one, be like the master of all games!

anyways, will keep you posted on things, as I think Hi-rez is hesitant about the tribes community crowd pleasing, due to the critics.
  • I imagine the starseige ip will go for not tens of thousand$ but $100k or more.
  • I imagine the starseige ip will go for not tens of thousand$ but $100k or more.

If not 2x that or more
  • @Inhabitant

IF we could pull all that off, that would be amazing. Maybe even reintroduce HERCs or something, or even if we started this kind of project with the base Starsiege timeline. Knock-off titles, however, might lose the player base we currently have. Although I know the IP would be wicked expensive, we might be able to set up some sort of donation thing to create the Tribes universe game that Hi-Rez doesn't seem interested in making. If we could just get the SDK and IP, we could work from there. I'd play T:A generation graphics for a long time, it's not like the engine is bad or the models/textures are poor quality. Sure, more detailed animations could be good, but that's far easier than fully rebuilding the engine all the time.
  • @Inhabitant

IF we could pull all that off, that would be amazing. Maybe even reintroduce HERCs or something, or even if we started this kind of project with the base Starsiege timeline. Knock-off titles, however, might lose the player base we currently have. Although I know the IP would be wicked expensive, we might be able to set up some sort of donation thing to create the Tribes universe game that Hi-Rez doesn't seem interested in making. If we could just get the SDK and IP, we could work from there. I'd play T:A generation graphics for a long time, it's not like the engine is bad or the models/textures are poor quality. Sure, more detailed animations could be good, but that's far easier than fully rebuilding the engine all the time.

yes, with tribes IP, there may be several consideration and options, as the amount of funds and formula that works for them being the obvious,

Could possibly, be something like Dynamix deal, with Sierra, of some type, with profit sharing and margin, being hopefully less of a concern and not let monetizing it damage it, though with a way to make it profitable to Hi-Rez in a way, that we could make them happy and they could lease or grant a license for everyone.

Advertising would be one way to help make it viable, with in between maps, games and even in game pop up.
    Pay to have ad removes could be the way to please all.

So many ways to make it happen, that could go on for days about it, just covering some of the ways, that Hi-Rez, can make Tribes a big(ger) hit and sensation.

If the do not want to play ball...then of course, without them, would be next step!
  • Let's see what we can do then.
  • Let's see what we can do then.

Yea, saw a nice article about minecraft

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/learntomod/

New Minecraft Mod Teaches You Code as You Play

Found it interesting and thinking of ways could incorporate