A newbie's guide:

2»

Comments

• Mousemod was always my favorite actually, I had more patience to sit still for ~5 minutes without dropping mines or taking a backlance and having a constant feed on what's happening in the enemy base can be surprisingly helpful. Plus those 3 heavies suddenly getting flashed and ELFed right as our O showed up tended to help.
  • Lets try staying on-topic, that being helpful things for Tribes 2 newbies.
  • There's some guide to being an Annoying Bastard (there's a link here somewhere) that has a very amusing strategy. Basically you get one guy to get into the enemy gen room with a clamp turret, and as soon as they set it up, you, a long way away and safe, take control of it and destroy the generators.

I have few times seen that tried and every time I have bloked it. I check after a while the sensor net if there is enemy cameras, turrets or sensors what does not belong to base. It is even nicer to just shoot those turrets so they dont work but their team can not use them :-D

I just dont like that idea that camera grenades does show on the command map. It should be invisible there and only be spotted by eye and checked from own net does it exist there. The camera is so underrated feature because it is so dificult to use. Player should have possibility to place those views to screenside all the time. Would help lot the cloaker work. And I dont like the cloaker sound idea. It should be just the 95% invisible feature and need to spot by watching or hearing steps.
  • The blaster ignores shields, however, it's not very powerful.

Blaster kills faster the shielded juggernaut than plasma. + the blaster bounce from walls two times in short range so you can shoot it behind corners and make it bounce so jugger can not avoid it. Plasma is good only if you have shield or more healt to survive. Blaster is just best weapon to clean base from assault group. grenades + blaster and whey they go... ;-)

Blaster kills faster the shielded juggernaut than plasma. + the blaster bounce from walls two times in short range so you can shoot it behind corners and make it bounce so jugger can not avoid it. Plasma is good only if you have shield or more healt to survive. Blaster is just best weapon to clean base from assault group. grenades + blaster and whey they go... ;-)

I would take every opportunity to use mine disks before you use either plasma or blaster.

I would take every opportunity to use mine disks before you use either plasma or blaster.
    Except you don't have mines when you spawn...

Except you don't have mines when you spawn...

• My newbie tips

#1 - When changing base turret barrels, always use a plasma. There are certain situations in which other turrets would be effective, but as a general rule the plasma barrel is the most powerful by far. Mortar turrets are "fun" but do not put them out. They will do more damage to your light defense trying to chase enemy cappers than anything else.

#2 - Get really good at one position.

#3 - Forget about using the shocklance on light defense. I feel that the shocklance is usually a wasted weapon for anyone playing light defense. In general, its better to use a mine disk and just straight up kill the guy. A missed lance is a huge drop in DPS and survivability. You should only go for shocklance kills if you have lots of experience and when you are playing HD, base raping, or farming I think. Even then though, unless you understand what you are giving up from carrying it and also understand that the situations in which you can use the lance are hard for even experienced players to sometimes recognize, I wouldn't bother.

#4 - If you have really good aim, play a position that requires good aim. If you don't and think tactically about the game, play HD or farmer and get really good at using shield pack efficiently. This means knowing where to move in terms of risk, what weapons to use and when to use them, using terrain and structures as secondary shields, and most importantly using shield pack to its fullest extent. Pulse the shield on in short bursts at the moment just before you are going to take damage. Immediately turn it off after the fact. This makes it so that your shields drain as little energy as possible from your player. When using shield becomes second nature and you only have to actively think about aiming and moving, you will be levels above other individuals and even most competitive heavy offense. Especially the heavy offense in epack. HD / farmer is one of the best positions in the game and gets a bad wrap for being "boring" or a "bitch" role. The people calling HD a bitch role are the people that don't understand its more complicated than what they are probably doing.

#5 - Third person is valuable for looking around corners. Tribes 2 is a game of information and risk calculation. You should always be clicking on your command screen during down times to check the enemy positions in combination with looking at the horizon for incoming enemies. Press the sensor button in the command screen once so that you can see the radius of your sensor network. Don't be afraid to right click on people and say "attack this person". It will put a waypoint task on the enemy that you or other team mates can accept. This way you will always know where that enemy is visually if they are in sensor range.

#6 - The chaingun is the most powerful weapon in the game. It is the most versatile and one of the more damaging weapons. If there is one thing to practice, its not going for MA's and using chaingun. Do not try to disk people in the air. You will hit 1 in 1000 shots. Instead, get REALLY good at the chaingun. It should be the first thing you practice doing, that is how important it is.
  • One good thing about the blaster is that in most matches, it has unlimited ammo, you can easily farm turrets, and finally most HO, and snipers stand realtively still, and you can use it to quickly take them out because of the high rate of fire and the ability to ignore sheild packs.
  • One good thing about the blaster is that in most matches, it has unlimited ammo, you can easily farm turrets, and finally most HO, and snipers stand realtively still, and you can use it to quickly take them out because of the high rate of fire and the ability to ignore sheild packs.

Hell yeah ,go go blaster power !
    Also the blaster is the gun that is also great for getting attention if you know how to use it, ususally just spraying a nice red cloud will get enimies to look at you, although you can also use the trgeting laser to get the same effect, and you can point out where your HO should shoot (by pointing it at HD, turrets, other enemy assets outside) but both are great for causing distractions, and making the other team start to think "there he is agian, I though we just got rid of him" which just makes them concentrate on you more.
  • My newbie tips

#1 - When changing base turret barrels, always use a plasma. There are certain situations in which other turrets would be effective, but as a general rule the plasma barrel is the most powerful by far. Mortar turrets are "fun" but do not put them out. They will do more damage to your light defense trying to chase enemy cappers than anything else.

#2 - Get really good at one position.

#3 - Forget about using the shocklance on light defense. I feel that the shocklance is usually a wasted weapon for anyone playing light defense. In general, its better to use a mine disk and just straight up kill the guy. A missed lance is a huge drop in DPS and survivability. You should only go for shocklance kills if you have lots of experience and when you are playing HD, base raping, or farming I think. Even then though, unless you understand what you are giving up from carrying it and also understand that the situations in which you can use the lance are hard for even experienced players to sometimes recognize, I wouldn't bother.

#4 - If you have really good aim, play a position that requires good aim. If you don't and think tactically about the game, play HD or farmer and get really good at using shield pack efficiently. This means knowing where to move in terms of risk, what weapons to use and when to use them, using terrain and structures as secondary shields, and most importantly using shield pack to its fullest extent. Pulse the shield on in short bursts at the moment just before you are going to take damage. Immediately turn it off after the fact. This makes it so that your shields drain as little energy as possible from your player. When using shield becomes second nature and you only have to actively think about aiming and moving, you will be levels above other individuals and even most competitive heavy offense. Especially the heavy offense in epack. HD / farmer is one of the best positions in the game and gets a bad wrap for being "boring" or a "bitch" role. The people calling HD a bitch role are the people that don't understand its more complicated than what they are probably doing.

#5 - Third person is valuable for looking around corners. Tribes 2 is a game of information and risk calculation. You should always be clicking on your command screen during down times to check the enemy positions in combination with looking at the horizon for incoming enemies. Press the sensor button in the command screen once so that you can see the radius of your sensor network. Don't be afraid to right click on people and say "attack this person". It will put a waypoint task on the enemy that you or other team mates can accept. This way you will always know where that enemy is visually if they are in sensor range.

#6 - The chaingun is the most powerful weapon in the game. It is the most versatile and one of the more damaging weapons. If there is one thing to practice, its not going for MA's and using chaingun. Do not try to disk people in the air. You will hit 1 in 1000 shots. Instead, get REALLY good at the chaingun. It should be the first thing you practice doing, that is how important it is.
    i hope newbs aren't overlooking this post by one of the legit best hds to play the game
  • hey, as i recently started playing on the (us?) pub, there are 3 points for newbies to makethe game better

1) Offense is the key
    if u dont know what to do, choose any loadout but go attacking. dont stand around at base, its useless.
    attack their base, gen, defenders, whatever, but go offense.

2) Play the flag.
    Tribes is CTF (Capture the flag), so focus on the flag. if your own flag is gone, try to kill the capper. (remember point 1, u are allready at offense, so probably the capper is coming at you, try to kill him.)
    Retreive the flag if possible.
    Try to harm incoming cappers on their way...
    Try to kill defenders who chase your own capper carring the flag.

3) Leave the harder stuff to better ppl
    dont use vehicles if u dont know how to use them
    dont grab the enemy flag unless u want to prevent them from capping
    dont playTM (= depoy stuff) if u dont know the map, and where to deploy the turrets...

the common problem on the pubs is not the skill, as so many "new" ppl are on, so it balances out. its just that normly on team "camps", and the other team attacks. and in tribes, u can win as defending only team.
    u will get rapped, they will get the flag home after a time, they will find ur ris... so, the more offense u have, the better....

remember, the old 10v10 clanwars had a 3D-7O strat in general....
  • edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure a good idea would be to explain the basics of using the targeting laser.

The Targeting Laser:
    (Default key "L")

The targeting laser is a standard equip. on any armor. Using it fires a green beam from you to the spot you are aiming and displays the distance to that location. (Or person/objects, etc.) Where this really shines though is that when you "paint" the location with the beam it will do two things.

1. It will give allied teammates a lock-on point for their missile launchers at the exact location the beam is touching.
    2. It will show heavys the angle at which to fire their mortars in order for it to land on that precise location.

These are obviously very helpful as it will make long range mortar and missile bombardment extremely effective. Be sure and look to see if any heavy armors request a target painted.

SPECIAL NOTE:
    The lock-on point created by a targeting laser causes missiles fired at it to ignore flares.
  • 1/ Go offense.

When in doubt, go offense. Back in the days, both in T1 and T2, the most successful tribes in competition usually stacked the O, 60/40 or 70/30 should be the ratio of Offense vs Defense.

Tribes is a lot about attrition and pressure. It doesn't matter if you die a lot, destroy the enemy stuff, if you can't go for the generators or the HoF (heavy on flag) then disc spam their deployable turrets and inventories, distract their defense, keep up the pressure and keep attacking until they collapse and get disorganized.

2/ What to do when your base is being raped?

Don't panic and start running around like a bunch of headless chickens. The worst thing you can do is all run inside the base where you will only get mortared into oblivion. Use the remote inventory stations in priority and stay outside the base as much as possible.

A bunch of naked enemies all clustered inside the base, waiting for the gens or an inventory station to be repaired is an HO wet dream.

If you do that, then the enemy will just keep coming at you, wave after wave. And this leads us to the last point.

3/ Learn to scavenge and play naked.

Light defenses and cappers/light offense should pretty much never go inside the base to get their kit. Either use remote inventory stations or do the following :

-Find an epack on the ground.
    -Drop your blaster and pick up another weapon on a dead body, either a grenade launcher, or a sniper rifle.
    -Drop your grenades and try to scavenge some flares.

Then if you're on Offense, instead of waiting for the base to get repaired, do a naked run, it is all about keeping the pressure on the enemy.

I hope that helps.
  • Oh yes a last one but it is a biggie.

When you have just repaired the inventory stations or the generators, DROP THE REPAIR PACK BEFORE STEPPING INTO THE STATION.

Bind the drop pack key and use it. Not sure how long it takes for the repair pack to respawn but I'd say around 20 seconds or so, maybe more.

If you get kitted while carrying the repair pack, it means you have destroyed it and it is wasted. Think of the repair pack as something precious. There should always be one laying around the base.
  • Thanks for the tips, guys!

I recently got back into this after I discovered TribesNext, and haven't played it for a good few years. I remember that the learning curve is pretty steep, and have a habit of getting killed a lot, especially since I play on Goon Haven a lot - reminds me of the old Miami Vehicles server.

Hopefully I'll eventually be able to find a calmer server, but I do like large player amounts too, and getting used to the weapons is going to take some time.
  • Wow, someone brought T2 back, haven't played in 4 years when the servers were shut down. I assume all the old accounts are gone. Too bad, played for 4-5 hours a day on the original account. Ran across T2N after throwing out some old CDROMs and ran across my T2 disk so I thought I would give it one more google, brought back a lot of memories and some good games.

It's like starting all over again :)
  • first comment since 2009

• Reading over now. There is vernacular to pick up on, let alone roles