TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Tribes 2 >  Mods and Customization >  Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still?
Krash
Administrator

View Profile
30: June 01, 2017, 10:02:12 AM »
The only real advantage you can get from Tribal IDE is the debugger/telnet support to connect to a server for testing live changes to your scripts, but there's not really anything you can't do already.  The editor is also pretty ancient (written in object pascal, if I remember correctly), and was notorious for poor handling of whitespace back in the day, especially if you were collaborating with anyone.

Honestly, you're probably better off just using something like Atom with the language-torquescript package if all you need is a decent free editor with some basic autocomplete.  Skimming over it, the language package does define a handful of content that doesn't exist in T2, and won't give much (if any) explanation of most functions, but it looks close enough to be useful.

robertom2002
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
31: June 07, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »
Nice. I didn't hear much about Atom before, but it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna try that just for the torquescript autocomplete, and by that I mean when I type something I expect some function suggestions.

Changelog so far:

Version 1.48: June, 2017 - Roberto:
   -Added in a lot of main and side quests.
   -You can now press the number keys to respond to a quest bot instead of typing your responses.
   -Made the player automatically say: hi, buy, yes, to NPCs if the player presses the Use Pack key while looking at an NPC.
   -Added some sounds for casting spells, weapon swings and hits, monsters, etc., and muted some annoying sounds.
   -Added new songs
   -Modified the item information display in the shop and stats screen.
   -Added new buttons in the shop and inventory screen that let's you view the full stats of a selected item.
   -Replaced the F1 text with text that's related and helpful to this mod.
   -Tweaked the monster drops and other game settings, to what I consider good.
   -Fixed a bug where the game did not actually remove items from your inventory after quest completion.

By the way, this isn't Phantom139's version (1314). It's version 1.47, which I downloaded from Jusctsch5. I I wanted to add this stuff on phantom's version because it has more monsters, areas, and hopefully more bug fixes, but it runs a bit slowly for me even on a dedicated server and it just doesn't play the mod music. Maybe the quests on his version would also have an inconsistent story with mine.

robertom2002
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
32: June 09, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
Well, fuck it. I think I just wasted my time on this, so I'll stop working on it. The level progression and class balancing is really fucked. Some classes are too powerful and there are not enough monsters in-between areas that are at your level. If you are a weak class, it will happen that a lot of times you'll meet one or two monsters above your level that will kill you super easily. And if I were to balance all of this or modify all the spawns in addition to the quests, it would take even more of my time. Which I can't do since I still have some bot maps to support and not enough free time.

I looked at Phantom's version and he actually did balance all of this and fix some stuff. The problem is that I'd have to apply my modifications again to Phantom's version, which I can't be bothered to do again. I can see why many people dropped their work on this mod. It had such great potential and I actually enjoy screwing in it alone, but it's just not finished and the code's a bit of a mess. Which is a shame because I would've loved to play this in a finished state considering that it's pretty fun even now. I guess that maybe if people want to play RPG mods, they should probably head to Tribes 1 RPG, since that's still in development and is great. Here's some gameplay for those who don't know about this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcUoEq6xl8
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:56:39 PM by robertom2002 »

Sil3nt 3agle
Nugget

View Profile
33: June 14, 2017, 03:31:56 AM »
used to play tribes 1 rpg its kinda cool mod but i never got on lvl 100 remot for once kinda dont have time anymore
Phantom139
Scout

View Profile WWW
34: June 20, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Well, fuck it. I think I just wasted my time on this, so I'll stop working on it. The level progression and class balancing is really fucked. Some classes are too powerful and there are not enough monsters in-between areas that are at your level. If you are a weak class, it will happen that a lot of times you'll meet one or two monsters above your level that will kill you super easily. And if I were to balance all of this or modify all the spawns in addition to the quests, it would take even more of my time. Which I can't do since I still have some bot maps to support and not enough free time.

I looked at Phantom's version and he actually did balance all of this and fix some stuff. The problem is that I'd have to apply my modifications again to Phantom's version, which I can't be bothered to do again. I can see why many people dropped their work on this mod. It had such great potential and I actually enjoy screwing in it alone, but it's just not finished and the code's a bit of a mess. Which is a shame because I would've loved to play this in a finished state considering that it's pretty fun even now. I guess that maybe if people want to play RPG mods, they should probably head to Tribes 1 RPG, since that's still in development and is great. Here's some gameplay for those who don't know about this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcUoEq6xl8

The balancing work was a hefty load as you can imagine. One of the key issues was as you mentioned, that some classes were simply very underpowered compared to others in that mod, and most people would just run for the mage / warrior classes.

The big thing I did in my version of the mod was "fill in the gaps" for those level zones, as progression would end up having these wide gaps where you would end up stuck in the same zone farming the same stuff for hours and even days just to be able to get to the next zone.

I should have a copy of my notes on that somewhere if you're interested.

Bio:
Founder/Creator Phantom Games Development.
Tribes 2 Modder, T3D Owner and Developer
Site:
www.phantomdev.net
robertom2002
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
35: June 21, 2017, 02:14:16 AM »
The big thing I did in my version of the mod was "fill in the gaps" for those level zones, as progression would end up having these wide gaps where you would end up stuck in the same zone farming the same stuff for hours and even days just to be able to get to the next zone.
Yeah, it's also why I mentioned that you sort of fixed that issue. Still, I don't wanna go back and redo my changes but this time to your version (I changed a different one), maybe it's not worth the effort. And then there's still the issue of some classes being really underpowered, as you said.  

My idea of a great Tribes 2 RPG mod would be different and more suited for the low population of today.

Maps: Big and server-side, with lots of capturable bases and turrets for each base to provide defense if you capture them. Just like CnH but on a bigger scale and you'd have to destroy a generator with lots of health instead of just touching an object. You'd gain a lot of EXP for capturing a base and even more for capturing all of them.

Leveling: Kill players to get experience, each time you level up you can improve your desired stat. Examples: More jet energy, more health, faster projectile, bigger splash area, more powerful projectile, more moving speed, higher jumps, etc. Dying will make you lose 5% or 10% EXP, and you can get down-leveled if you die too many times.

Weapons: You start with a blaster. Killed players drop money. You'd use money to purchase your desired weapon from a big list of weapons from mods like Triumph, BIOMod, Meltdown, Shifter, Revmod, etc. Max weapons in inventory depend on the armor just like the normal game. Killed players can also rarely drop weapons (not from their inventory), and those weapons would depend on their level. The dropped weapons can have extra positive or negative stats.

Upgrading: Killed players have low chances of dropping materials for upgrading armor and weapons. You can upgrade your weapon and it can either turn out to be an improvement or you could fuck it up and destroy it/degrade it. It would also cost some money. Upgrading weapons would either give extra firing methods to the weapon like in meltdown or it would make it more powerful. Upgrading your armor would simply be a matter of changing your HP and moving speed.

Other items: The grenade, health kit, pack, beacon, and mine keys could be used for other items that killed players drop. Temporary stat boost items, health/jet energy recovery items, deployable turrets/inventorie, special grenades or mines, etc. Which also means that you cannot select these items without receiving them from kills or buying them with money.

Quests: On each map change you will be assigned a random objective from a list every 15 minutes. Capture X bases in Y time. Kill X players in Y time using Z weapon or deployable. Stay in a certain exposed/populated area for X amount of time without being killed. Repair X amount of generator damage from bases. And so on. This would also give you quite some EXP.

Ranks: Each week, the top 3 players with the most kills and base captures in that week, will be awarded some money and some items or good weapons that cannot be purchased or dropped by anyone. You will lose these special items if you die, making you look forward to next week if you lose them.

Bots should also make full use of the mod's features. Meaning, they should level up like players, use/buy/upgrade all the weapons if they can, have their progress saved, focus and upgrade on different stats, and try to focus on capturing bases in groups, not going randomly for all of them. And all of this would greatly, greatly help, because there aren't many players left. Dunno why I typed all of this but this is what I'd like to see in an rpg mod for tribes. The concept's really simple actually, but I'm not willing to put the time into making it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:22:13 AM by robertom2002 »

Phantom139
Scout

View Profile WWW
36: June 22, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »
It's an interesting concept. Sounds a bit like Powers Mod in a way but more suited towards larger maps, where Powers was built for fast paced combat.

Bio:
Founder/Creator Phantom Games Development.
Tribes 2 Modder, T3D Owner and Developer
Site:
www.phantomdev.net
ZurkinWood497
Nugget

View Profile
37: July 15, 2017, 08:25:55 AM »
i know you guys have been talking mostly coding related modding here, but I thought I'd throw this in the fray of chat here.

Nothing I've been doing is 'modding' (as in coding changes), I've mostly focused on the graphical part.

I got ReShade working pretty well in T2 now, so it gets a little step up there (MXAO, better lighting, etc).

Been slowly working on all the textures in T2 (Mostly been the GUI and Weapon ones. Those weapons can go up 2x!) What I've done so far looks better to me.

Also got the models for T2, though I simply can NOT find 3D MAX 2.5 to edit them (or whichever version is needed for them).

-Time Be With You-
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines