Notice of server downtime: 2015-08-16 to ~2015-09-04

edited January 2016 in Support
In about 6 weeks, I'm going to be taking the TribesNext account server, and the TribesNext browser server down for about 1 week. The machine these services are running on is going to be retired, and I'll be moving its contents into a VM on a new box in a west coast data center. Since there are a few terabytes of data on this server, I'll be moving the data by sneaker net, and I'll need to load the data onto the new system prior to installing it in the data center -- this process will take several days.

While these systems are offline:
  • You will not be able to create new TribesNext accounts.
  • You will not be able to download existing TribesNext accounts onto a new computer. (You may manually copy the *.store files in your Tribes2/GameData directory if you must move computers during downtime.)
  • No clan tags will show up on accounts that are members of clans.

You will be able to log in and play with existing accounts during the downtime.

Edit: Downtime extended to approximately September 4th.

Comments

• Thanks for letting us know. ;D
  • Thank you for the heads up.
  • Thanks Thyth for all your work on T2
  • Thanks Thyth.

Noted and backed up my *.store files to avoid the issue I had late June.
  • Thanks for the heads up.
  • I'm beginning the downtime window as promised. See you on the other side in approximately one week.
  • I'm beginning the downtime window as promised. See you on the other side in approximately one week.
    I found you on YouTube. Great speaker you are. *yoda grunt* ;D
  • Downtime is going to be at least an extra week. Aiming to bring services back online the week of August 31st.
  • Nothing is ever quite as smooth as I'd like. At last, today, almost all of the new server hardware has arrived (inc. server itself, CPUs, RAM, drives), and has been tested and verified as functional. I was going to begin hypervisor and OS installation this evening, after which restoration of the retired server backup could proceed quite quickly.

Unfortunately, the hard drive mounting screws that came with my new disks protrude slightly when installed in the hot swap trays. This protrusion is enough to block insertion of the drives into the bays. Shit. Screwed by screws.

While I seek suitably sized substitute screws, suppose stagnation.

More updates as I have them.
  • Nothing is ever quite as smooth as I'd like. At last, today, almost all of the new server hardware has arrived (inc. server itself, CPUs, RAM, drives), and has been tested and verified as functional. I was going to begin hypervisor and OS installation this evening, after which restoration of the retired server backup could proceed quite quickly.

Unfortunately, the hard drive mounting screws that came with my new disks protrude slightly when installed in the hot swap trays. This protrusion is enough to block insertion of the drives into the bays. Shit. Screwed by screws.

While I seek suitably sized substitute screws, suppose stagnation.

More updates as I have them.
    Dang lol
  • edited September 2015
    Just wondering to see if the account creation server is likely to get back up again today?

No real rush, just hankerin' for some good ol' tribes 2 action again.

Thanks!
  • Looking like the week of the 14th is most realistic for getting this box online. I've been "unscrewed", but a couple of hardware issues came up during testing that I need to understand or resolve. Neither look show stopping, but I still need to understand impact.

Given the long delays, I'm going to attempt standing up a temporary version of the account server and database on one of my home systems over this weekend.
  • Of all the weeks for my hard drive to die and require a fresh install this is that week and the T2 system is offline.

I feel your pain and hope that it is back up again soon.
  • I hope it is up soon. Been trying to retrieve my account for quote some time. :(

Anyway it is what it is and I am patient.
  • Of course I choose to pick up tribesnext during server downtime. Wishing you good luck and haste in fixing the servers so I can make an account.
    Tribes 2 is my childhood... :'(
  • Hang in there Tribers! Thyth, we believe in you!!!!
  • One of the two hardware issues I was seeing has been resolved. Still running a few tests on the second issue (doesn't seem operationally relevant, but making sure). The very last hardware bits are arriving tomorrow.

I'll be installing the hypervisor and administration OS this weekend, and finishing a set of security related modifications to the system. With luck, I'll be able to bring up account services (but not yet browser services) by Monday. The new box is going to be running from my comparatively slow home DSL for another week or two before I install it in the data center, and there will be other short ups and downs after Monday while I get things sorted out.
  • One of the two hardware issues I was seeing has been resolved. Still running a few tests on the second issue (doesn't seem operationally relevant, but making sure). The very last hardware bits are arriving tomorrow.

I'll be installing the hypervisor and administration OS this weekend, and finishing a set of security related modifications to the system. With luck, I'll be able to bring up account services (but not yet browser services) by Monday. The new box is going to be running from my comparatively slow home DSL for another week or two before I install it in the data center, and there will be other short ups and downs after Monday while I get things sorted out.

Thank you.
  • Any news on this? I've been trying to authenticate every day this week and just wanted to know if I should keep trying.
  • I need to make a very important clan. PLS THYTH
  • Aiming for account and browser systems online on Tuesday or Wednesday night.
  • This weekend I've completed the installation of the secured hypervisor and administration domain OS. Still aiming for Tuesday or Wednesday account service reactivation.
  • I've finally been able to start the process of restoring the (7000 GiB) backup image of my old server onto the new machine. Unfortunately, the backup disk itself seems to be the limiting process (25 MiB per second) and the estimated time of completion is 80 hours (= 3 days, 8 hours) -- finishing sometime early Saturday morning.

I may be able to bring TribesNext services online with about 10% of the backup restored. I'll give that a try tomorrow evening.
  • Wow that's a lot of data. I'm just looking to start a new account since I haven't played in so long-- no idea what my old login or email was. Will we be able to create a new account before everything is copied over?
  • Wow that's a lot of data. I'm just looking to start a new account since I haven't played in so long-- no idea what my old login or email was. Will we be able to create a new account before everything is copied over?
    He just said possibly.
    I may be able to bring TribesNext services online with about 10% of the backup restored. I'll give that a try tomorrow evening.
    Yeah. You don't need your email. Just a login and password. :)
  • I'm not going to boot the VM yet. During the restoration process, throughput to the target device is just too slow.

Fortunately, the process has been going more quickly than my initial measurement. The process should be complete somewhere between the next 23.5 and 40 hours (not exactly sure how quickly the empty space in the image will be crossed).
  • The backup restoration process is nearly complete. I'll be setting up the virtual machine configuration to use this image and trying to get full TribesNext services back online tomorrow night.
  • Awesome stuff.

I miss Tribes 2.
  • Virtual machine is up and running. I need to do a bit more work to get networking working, and actually get TribesNext services back online tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.