Fuzzy game screen & other newbie issues (that I don't see in a pin or FAQ...)

First up, my entire game screen is fuzzy, like it's out of focus. I read the graphics setting post a few down the list from this one, and while setting everything to be most favorable I didn't see anything that addressed this problem. The screen still appears sharp in a circular area around the mouse pointer. I tried switching the mouse to/from DInput, but no change. Also, it sometimes "flickers" into focus, but then goes out again. My GPU is a GTX 970, and I've got all the settings maxed...but it was fuzzy and out of focus before I ever touched a setting.

Next, is the IRC chat a thing at all? I'm not even sure I was connected to the right server, as it banned me within seconds of connecting. Oh well.

Comments

• First up, my entire game screen is fuzzy, like it's out of focus. I read the graphics setting post a few down the list from this one, and while setting everything to be most favorable I didn't see anything that addressed this problem. The screen still appears sharp in a circular area around the mouse pointer. I tried switching the mouse to/from DInput, but no change. Also, it sometimes "flickers" into focus, but then goes out again. My GPU is a GTX 970, and I've got all the settings maxed...but it was fuzzy and out of focus before I ever touched a setting.

Next, is the IRC chat a thing at all? I'm not even sure I was connected to the right server, as it banned me within seconds of connecting. Oh well.
    If you mean the IRC chat in the game, no, that is now registered and owned by another group or company and they hate Tribes 2 people, understandably.

Anyway, I have never ever heard of your problem or anything close to it! And that's saying something. Anyone else have any ideas? Quite strange...
  • Since you're using an nVidia GPU, make sure you are not forcing global anti-aliasing (especially of the quincunx variety) in the nVidia control panel, as it will result in everything being blurred in game, including text and UI elements. As far as flickering, I suggest switching between D3D and OpenGL modes in game graphics settings. You may also have better luck running the game in windowed mode instead of full screen.

And yes, the IRC server the currently released version of the patch is not one we have a good relationship with anymore. You can find us on QuakeNet, as indicated at the bottom of every page of this forum.
  • Fixed IRC issue.

As for the blurring, it was the Forced FXAA mode in my driver. Thanks. I'd turned off FSAA options, but it didn't change anything. FXAA was another setting, and I'd overlooked it.
  • So they still haven't fixed fxaa. Fxaa is nice, but in t1 and t2 it makes for blurry text at the minimum. It works ok in tribes vengeance, ta and likely ma.