FOG!!????

The way I understand, if your within someone view the little green/red thing can be seen. With the exception of a building, hill or object in the path or a jamming device. even from the other end of the map. Is this not the case?

Comments

• lol.. umm NO. fog has nothing to do with the indicators. those come when people are in sensor range.

-moto
  • edited March 2009
    The reason I asked was, I think, someone was impling that sniping in the fog was difficult? As if the fog sould hiding them from being sniped. Perhaps I'm not understanding something correctly.
  • The reason I asked was, I think, someone was impling that sniping in the fog was difficult? As if the fog sould hiding them from being sniped. Perhaps I'm not understanding something correctly.

Sniper in the fog is not impossible. Consecutive head shots from 999 meters away is damn near impossible.
  • In the game's stock configuration, if you're far enough away in the fag, and the enemy's sensor network can't see you, you're effectively invisible to them.

Hover mouse pointer over sensors on the Commander screen to see detection ranges. I don't remember at what range IFFs become visible just from line-of-sight, but it's pretty short.

mystic_1
  • I think it is actually easier to snipe through the fog because there is nothing to distract you (assuming your target is on the sensor net - otherwise it is impossible).
  • Don't know that I could put together an experiment with bots, but say you've got something like Broadside (sniper heaven or hell, your mileage will vary) but with the bases far enough apart to be behind fog. If someone deploys a pulse sensor over at their base, then even though all the hostiles are obscured by fog, would you be able to see their IFFs? Or is there still a limit to how far those will appear?
  • Note that zooming in on a player will show their IFF's (visual extension of sensor net, even through fog).
  • Don't know that I could put together an experiment with bots, but say you've got something like Broadside (sniper heaven or hell, your mileage will vary) but with the bases far enough apart to be behind fog. If someone deploys a pulse sensor over at their base, then even though all the hostiles are obscured by fog, would you be able to see their IFFs? Or is there still a limit to how far those will appear?
    Yes.
    Yes.

To clarify, yes, on a map like Broadside, if you did that, you would be able to see the IFFs. However, there is also a limit on how far IFFs appear... that's why not all enemies on your cc are going to have IFFs from across the map. I'm not sure on the exact distance though.