Class B IP problems

You guys, the old class B IP problem shown up again, while playing with Hamachi. I know this is not a Tribes2 tech support forum, but hey, someone just might know the solution. There used to be a community solution, but the download link is too old to work.
Just in case someone is unaware of the problem, here is the deal:
If someone's IP is, say, 5.255.255.255, this person can connect with anyone with a IP ranging from 5.255.1.1 to 5.255.255.255.
The problem is: I have an older hamachi account, so my "class B IP" (the 5.255 part) is different from theirs. So it's pretty hard to set up a game. I've tried to create a server and play online with TribesNext, but my server didn't show up. I understand that this limitation was created to prevent people from playing pirated copies online, but, now that the game is freeware, solving this issue is maybe part of the TribesNext project (which aims to make Tribes2 survive).
Maybe someone knows of a way to solve this through scripting, which could be incorporated to the TribesNext patch download... Who knows?
Thanks for your support.

Comments

• Hamachi can cause problems with TN due to the use of the 5.0.0.0/8 IP address range, which is marked by IANA as reserved (and shouldn't be used).

As for the Class B IP check, it's already standard in the TN installation.
  • Thanks for your reply Thyth.
    As for the Class B IP check, it's already standard in the TN installation.
    Did you mean that the Class-B-IP-check-on-LAN-games problem is already solved on the TribesNext patch? 'Cause I have the patch installed here and the problem is alive and kicking.
    Hamachi can cause problems with TN due to the use of the 5.0.0.0/8 IP address range, which is marked by IANA as reserved (and shouldn't be used).
    Or did you mean that, through Hamachi, the game is unplayable if there's a different Class B IP?
    I am sorry, but I am not much of a network expert...
    Thanks for your help.
  • Well, you can try applying the patch available here: http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251

But, I doubt it will make a difference. If you're having this problem, I'd suggest making sure that you properly installed the TribesNext patch. You can check if the executable modifications were completed properly by looking at the size of the Tribes2 executable. The modified one is 4,419,584 bytes in size, whereas the original is 4,354,048 bytes.

The statement about Hamachi is that it does things with address selection that shouldn't be done. I can't predict how it will react with TN.
  • Oh well. I had to reinstall the patch. Somehow it did not change the executable (but I was able to create an account and login to TribesNext servers before the reinstallation... :o). Anyway, it is now working. Thanks a lot for your help, Thyth.