BTMappackT2-b1

13»

Comments

• edited June 2021

Wow! That was quick. LOL Thank you so much! I have been looking for that for about a year. haha Anyway, will give that a whirl a little later this week just to see what it looks like since I missed this title completely when it was being developed.

Edit: I think that just may be the final build. That archived Ascension website "shutting down" announcement has a date of 01/02/2010 and the folders within your zip file also have a date of 01/02/2010.

• edited June 2021

I remember news of that game, probably about when it was announced, but I never played any build. I have to try it as well. Thanks for the link.

• edited February 2022

Just in case any of you are still paying any attention to this Legends thread. I had a little time to experiment with the Windows version I cobbled together for you all. I had just updated my PCLinuxOS system and the update included the brand new Wine 7.0 version. I figured I would wreck a little science and see if that Legends version would run. It ran perfectly! I can't tell it apart from the original Linux version. Everything just worked.

My system is running the latest PCLinuxOS version, with a AMD 8 core cpu, NVidia graphics, and 16 gbs of memory. So if any Linux users are lurking out there give it a try.

I haven't had any time to dig into that last version although I did recently come across a bunch of additional hard drives from that time period that I had overlooked in my earlier search. No promises but maybe one of these days I will find something useful.

Screenshot of the Windows version of Legends running in my Linux system.

• edited February 2022

...I did recently come across a bunch of additional hard drives from that time period that I had overlooked in my earlier search. No promises but maybe one of these days I will find something useful.

You have my attention.

Maybe the elusive 0.4.2.4? 🤔

• Ladies and gentlemen, I bring good news. A few months ago I came to this forum looking for information on Legends the Game. I played it a little bit when I was younger and thought it was a good game, unfortunate that it has almost entirely been forgotten. Back when I was playing it I had a habit of backing everything up to CD's (CD's nutz) and a couple of days ago I was going through some of my old discs. Lo and behold I found a copy of Legends the Game in a zip folder. Version 0.4.2.4 from January 10th 2013. Apparently I had some other bot-mod files I was going to try to get working with the game but never figured it out.

Legends The Game Version 0.4.2.4:

Enjoy 😀

• I was just playing around with the files again. If you copy the contents of the LBM folder into the main legends folder you'll be able to play against two gimpy bots on a single map :)

• edited October 2022
    https://www.tribesnext.com/forum/discussion/comment/30016#Comment_30016 There was an error displaying this embed.

So I'm guessing BotDuel under Gametype is the one map with bots? Correct? Seems to work well so far.

• Hello lpbbear! Long-time no see! :) You may remember me by the Legends player name lnx (also lnxusr or [DA]lnx). In a random bout of nostalgia-seeking, the thought popped into my head to try and get Legends running again... I downloaded the copy of the 0.4.1.43 release for Windows from archive.org and was surprised to see that it runs really well on modern hardware running Win10 (save for the stability issues that were present in this release back in the day). Wow... I can barely describe the feeling of seeing this game running again. The sights, the sounds... It had my head buzzing.... So about an hour later I stood up a server and invited my brother who also used to play the game back then. You may remember him as [DA]Sanosuke. We both were absolutely mesmerized... We immediately arranged a little LAN party, playing 1v1 deathmatch and exploring all of the (stock) maps until 3am! It was so amazing... We were literally re-living our childhoods. Both of us had the full 'noob' experience for like 30 minutes, but surprisingly our skills came back pretty quickly and we were having some epic battles! To this day, this style of gameplay is our absolute favorite!

We still haven't revealed this nostalgic treasure-trove to our older brother, whom you may remember as [DA]Himura. We're planning a sort-of surprise LAN party for him. I'm still in search of a lot of the old data I had for Legends. So far I've only found a few voice packs (jVoicePack and KnochenT2Binds) but am still searching... I'd also love to know what happened towards the end when the game finally succumbed to obscurity. All of us stopped playing around 2008 after we moved to Florida and adulthood took hold... 

Well, Sanosuke and I really want to arrange some kind of Legends Reunion and locate some of the old players of the game. Are you in contact with any of the devs and/or former players? If not, I may be in a unique position to perhaps put out an "APB" to maybe locate them. At the beginning of the year, I started a YouTube channel that focuses on retro and vintage computing. The channel is growing rapidly and just crossed 11,600 subscribers so there's a chance I can locate some of these people. Early-to-mid 2000s computing is well within my channel's subject matter so I know my audience would thoroughly enjoy it. If we could even compile a copy of the game for mass-consumption, I'm completely certain new people would start playing it again. One of the biggest issues stunting the growth of Legends was lack of exposure after all. That's something I'm uniquely positioned to provide now. Here's a link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/@miketech1024

Here's a brief history of what I've been doing in the intervening years: My childhood obsession with Linux and coding really paid off! It set me up for a successful career in tech and I'm currently a Senior Systems Engineer for a Fortune 500 company. I work in DevOps and cloud infrastructure, primarily handling our Kubernetes clusters running in Azure, our CI/CD pipelines and our Linux-based RabbitMQ clusters. Also previously held traditional network and cybersecurity engineering roles for state government and Department of Defense contractors. I owe this heavily to the experiences I gained tinkering with Legends. That really was my first foray into writing code and running servers for public consumption. Needless to say, Legends holds a special place in my heart.

I hope some of the other players are as interested as my brothers and I are in re-living the glory days of Legends. I'd also be highly interested in obtaining the source code for the game, seeing as Torque is open-source now (we both knew that would happen eventually lol). My alternate plan is to perhaps put together another game in the FPS-Z style. I'll be exploring how well the most-recent release of the Torque game engine runs on retro hardware.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I'd also love to know what data you may still have, including any UNF packages and especially any copies of the releases for Linux. I hope to hear from you and/or any other former Legends players!

• I found a copy of the Linux installer for 0.4.1.42 on an old backup DVD. Uploaded to archive.org: https://archive.org/details/legends_linux_gui-0.4.1.42

The game launches and renders fine in modern distros (tested in Arch and Kubuntu), but sound is going to require OSS emulation. Still working on that... The dedicated server binary seems to work perfectly.

I haven't found much else yet... I still have the hard drive I used back then, but it won't initialize. Might attempt data recovery on it. Hoping it contains some of the scripts I wrote back then. I had one which could spawn some dumb bots. They could only jet and shoot, but were great for MA practice. Also had a pretty robust MA shot tracker. Those are the big two I'd love to have again...

• Well well well

• Wow, popped in after a long no visit stretch and find lnxusr here. Cool! :)

"I downloaded the copy of the 0.4.1.43 release for Windows from archive.org and was surprised to see that it runs really well on modern hardware running Win10 (save for the stability issues that were present in this release back in the day)"

Yes, I have it still running on a couple systems. (PCLinuxOS) It runs really well with some small quirks in the sound department. I also tried running the Windows version in a recent version of Wine and it ran beautifully. It ran so well I couldn't tell it wasn't a Linux version.

"Are you in contact with any of the devs and/or former players? If not, I may be in a unique position to perhaps put out an "APB" to maybe locate them.

I'm still in contact with Davean. Lost track of Ilys. I haven't heard from TerroX forever. I was in contact with Electronics45 but its been years. Haven't heard from any of the other players for a long time. I'm hoping they all survived Covid.

"I'd also love to know what happened towards the end when the game finally succumbed to obscurity. All of us stopped playing around 2008 after we moved to Florida and adulthood took hold... "

I kept the BT servers up until around 2016 or so. In fact I still have the rack mount server sitting on a shelf in my garage. I assume it still works. I couldn't bear to part with it so I stashed it in the garage. Ilys and I continued to work on stuff up til around 2013 or so. Unfortunately other Devs just pretty much vanished. Davean ran the master server for quite a while and the main Legends server as well. I'm not sure how the main site finally went MIA. It was there for quite a while and then gone suddenly to the Internet Archive.

"One of the biggest issues stunting the growth of Legends was lack of exposure after all."

That and lack of interest on the part of some of the main controlling Devs.

That's really cool that you've moved into a profession using those coding skills you were honing way back in Legends. You did some neat stuff in the game.

After Legends started going sideways I moved back to my first passion, music. I resumed performing live around 2011 and was still doing that up until Covid hit in 2020. I had hopes of retiring and just performing into my "golden" years. No such luck. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.

I really enjoyed creating maps and map content but I've forgotten much since then. I'm also no where near the player I used to be. I fool around once in a while in the game and go WTF keys am I supposed to hit for this or that. :)

"Let me know what your thoughts are. I'd also love to know what data you may still have, including any UNF packages and especially any copies of the releases for Linux. I hope to hear from you and/or any other former Legends players!"

Davean and I have kicked some sort of a revival around over the past year a couple times but so far nothing beyond the talking stage. I probably have most of the UNF's and other scripts etc. kicking around on one or more hard drives sitting in my desk drawer. These days its been tough to find any time to focus on going through it all and finding whats there. Even though I'm mostly retired it seems my time is always buried in some house project.

I'll check out your YouTube channel. Really great to hear from you. Keep in touch. :)

• Dunno why, but the system flagged your post as spam and about 9 of them (all the same?) stacked up for moderation. Weird.

• Thanks Krash for getting the post up.

• So I dug through my hard drives tonight and came across a drive that had the svn copy of Legends as well as the unreleased BTMappack 1.06-1.unf files on it. I haven't quite figured out whether it was the final release or not. The team names aren't Alpha and Omega in this version. Instead they are Arc and Dlx. Both the Linux version and the Windows version are in the Legends directory. There are a few broken maps in the 1.06-1 version of the mappack which as I remember were broken by that last version of Legends. I never got around to fixing them and releasing that version. Its been so long I don't remember how I had things organized on the drive. I'll keep exploring the files and maybe if I get it resolved release a copy of both the Legends version on there and a fixed version of that mappack somewhere. It also contains a number of other Legends related files including a midair tracker that Lnxusr was looking for.. I'll try to get it cleaned up and include that too.