Patches?

I am a longtime fan of the series and only recently decided to reinstall T2.

Question - Is there a legitimit one time patch that will update it from original release to its current form, or do I have to do it in increments as was the case during the 1st year of its release. Upon completion of that process I would of course add the NEXY patch once those have been completed?

I tried one site for the T2Next and came to find out that there was a KEY LOGGER in the files. Anyone else discover this problem? I did not download it from this site but I am saying that there is a version out there thats hacked.

Comments

• You don't need to install any patches other than the Tribes Next patch. Anti-virus software will report that the patch contains a trojan, but it's a false positive. There's nothing to worry about.
  • There's nothing to worry about.
    thats what you think.
    an agent of the system...Agent Pinko!
  • Most virus program mistake the TribesNext patch as a virus. As long as you download from here, you should be able to safely ignore it.
  • Keyloggers arnt Viruses, theyre Spyware.
  • We usually recommend you download and run the full version 25034 installer located in our files section... However, installing from the original release CD, you will need to run the 21570/24834 to 25034 prior to running our patch. If you don't, it will simply corrupt the executable and you'll need to remove it.

Spyware is a type of virus.
  • I don't know that spyware is a type of virus, I always thought that a virus was self propagating, and that they all fall under the umbrella of mal-ware(malicious software). I could be wrong though.

your point being...?
  • Spyware falls under malware, like viruses, but a virus is simply the packaging scheme that could be used to propagate a virus. Viruses copy themselves in order to spread their payload, but I'm pretty sure it still requires some level of user action to spread. Worms actively spread themselves, IIRC.
    Spyware is usually delivered by Trojans, which requires user action to spread. I've seen many Trojans carrying spyware start deploying viruses in order to bind the crap to the system, though.

Bottom line: this patch is not a virus, nor is it spyware. If it's flagged, it's a false positive.

ClamAV and SpybotS&D mark it clean.

your point being...?

I'm pretty sure hes trying to say if a=b and b=c than a=c.
    But it isn't really relevant to the question posed...so yeah.

I haven't had any problems with the patch. I never got a warning anything from COMODO or SpyBot S&D.
  • There are some reported heuristic false positives on the modified Tribes2 executable. RC2 and later will not modify the executable, and will do patching in memory, so those false positives should vanish.
  • I'm sure there's probably a way I could find out myself, but what is the patch packed with? I've had experience in the past that AVs sometimes flag executables packed with UPX as malicious. Just a half-cent I'll toss in there just in case.
  • The patch isn't packed. There's a binary diff that is applied to the Tribes 2 executable. That diff includes a new PE section that loads the apotheosis DLL and a small number of patches throughout the executable itself. If you unpack the patch installer, you can find the patch.bdiff file that is applied by jpatch-w32.exe on install.

The Apotheosis DLL (the core of TribesNext) isn't packed either. That way, anyone half competent with a disassembler could verify we're not doing anything malicious in the DLL itself.