GTW + TSW = ?

TSW (Tactical Sky Wars) would remain unchanged and still go along it's course, however the creator of GTW approached me today and asked me if I wanted to port my vehicles to GTW.

For those who have played one or both of these mods, what would you say?

Comments

• I'm unsure, but that isn't an option.

I like GTW as is, but it might be cool to have the vehicles too.
  • You've put so much effort into your own mod, I don't see the point really. I suppose I don't know much about GTW, but why just give all of your cool features and your hard work to someone without a good reason? Similar to what Teratos said... do people that play GTW want it to have the features of TSW?

IMHO - I've only played TSW, but I like the level of dedication you have brought to the mod, you have done a wonderful job with new features and bug fixing, and I just don't see a benefit of you merging with someone else.
  • edited March 2009
    Might want to play GTW first before you say that. GTW was originally the platform he was going to use to make his TSW mod. Basically he was going to use the large scale maps that GTW uses to make it able to hold vehicles. Since he doesn't know how to map he could use the maps that I've designed and continue developing his vehicles on the GTW platform and making more and better vehicles that support our map sizes.

If you haven't seen GTW, check out the you tube videos

Chasing the enemy GPT
    Ground Vehicle Transport
    GTW Fan Video
    Old version GTW Pickup Video

Watch those and then picture his vehicles in it.

GokouZWAR
  • I'm not opposed to the idea. I love both mods and would really only like to see each of them get more players.
  • I've played both:

TSW amazed me. The time you had to put into those vehicles is staggering I'm sure. It almost seems a waste to have them on conventional maps.

GTW has HUGE maps with a revamped gameplay dynamic. I mean, moveable bases? Come on! Can't you see the assault ship rollin with turrets blazing tearing about an enemy's defenses while pods are dropped from above? The implimentation of these two mods would produce something that could really be called a stand alone game, using T2 as nothing more than a base and Torque as the engine.

So yea. I'm in favor of a merge.
  • edited March 2009
    I just got finished playing GTW a few mins ago, and i have only messed around for like 5 mins with TSW. However, i see a LOT of potential awesomeness with TSW, and the maps/game play in GTW would be perfect for them.
    But a merge would be difficult, it would have to be approached carfully.

The way people aquire vehicles would have to be modified and the emphasis on vehicles would have to be increased, the GTW games i've played, people have only used vehicles as a way to get around, not so much as a means of conducting war.

It's pretty easy to win a match, in GTW, without even flying, you can just put a TP down outside their base, and rape train them to death, you don't even need badass fighters.
    This brings me to the emphasis on vehicles, perhaps if GTW was in space, with space stations and shit, or with flying bases, then vehicles would be nice and necessary, and dog fights would be plentiful.
  • This brings me to the emphasis on vehicles, perhaps if GTW was in space, with space stations and shit, or with flying bases, then vehicles would be nice and necessary, and dog fights would be plentiful.

That...would be sick. I think it would be even cooler if you made new vehicle models, weapons models, particles, textures, sounds etc. Granted, it would require a somewhat large client-side download, but I think it would more than worth it.
  • Yeah, i'm working on a mod where you battle in space right now, i'm calling it Tauris. But i won't plug it here.
    I think it would be even cooler if you made new vehicle models, weapons models, particles, textures, sounds etc. Granted, it would require a somewhat large client-side download, but I think it would more than worth it.

That would be cool, but i think the reason for the low number of people playing GTW is that people can't join the server to see how awesome it is, and then don't bother to download the maps. The only reason i'm playing is because a vet told me how epic it was, and where to get the maps.
  • After I beat BugsPray in a duel in GTW, I retired.

VAB. Nothing left to prove.
  • TSW was going to be a space combat mod (EVE Online clone), but I decided against this in favor of manually controlled turrets, and more freespace-style combat.

In any case, this is useful information. Based on the feedback from the posts and the vote polls (I'm counting all "don't cares" as no), I have decided not to go ahead and merge, however I may see what vehicle could benefit GTW and donate one or two. Maybe. We'll see how it all works out.
  • I sort of thought the "don't care's" would be taken as "I don't care i don't play these mods." :(

I'd like to see the valkyrie in GTW just because it's an all around badass vehicle. The gunships may be a bit too overpowered for the mod, but It'd be incredibly cool if each team started with one already spawned to help prevent super short games with a whole team of shrike scouts, plus it'd be a key strategic vehicle to defend, and losing it could put you at a serious disadvantage. The teleporting bomber (can't remember the name) would be an awesome addition to be used when moving the GPT, and actually making it possible for a team to escape with their GPT unharmed and set up a new base vs getting chased down and killed pretty quickly, as most often happens. I would absolutely love to see those three vehicles in GTW. I think it would generally stay the same game, but with major new key elements making the gameplay twice as complicated and twice as much fun.