A Touching Story - AKA Beginner's Basics

edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Idk about everyone here, but this is NOT a place for noobs. You're trying to keep a community alive? How can you even THINK about doing that when your user database consists of rude players?

First thing I do is ask how you get into a vehicle because I saw something outside of base, and it had a turret on top of it, and wheels...

What's their response? "alt f4" and "it's god mode" and other bullshit keys and things they say.

Honestly, this is just plain ridiculous.

I'm sorry i've ever touched upon Tribes 2, even tribes 1 starsiege didn't have such a douche bag community as here. Plain pathetic. 0 Community Support whatsoever. Then I get called a faggot and a douche bag, when all I did was ask how to get into a vehicle... then i ask how to repair, and i get insulted.

Congratulations, players. You really know how to chase away new players.

Assholes.

Never coming back here again. What a waste of time...

Edit - Kudos to Thyth and Eolk for being the only nice people that i met so far, in this community.

Sorry, Just not putting up with such high level of unfriendliness. (And sorry for the cursing, I'm just frustrated to come here and be blown off like that. Oh well, not the first time it happened...)

Comments

• RTFM
    No, seriously... the Tribes 2 installer that's listed on the downloads page comes with a manual! It provides you with a lot of the basic things like, how to get into a vehicle (collide near the seat), use packs, inventory, etc...

So a few people decided to play a prank on an unsuspecting newb (in their eyes), doesn't mean you need to get your panties all twisted and leave the game.
  • I read the manual (skimmed thru it), and i'm sorry i can't remember every page of it...

But whatever. It's not a prank, it happens in every game.
  • edited May 2009
    Evlesoa,

Why insult this community over a couple of ass hats.
    No matter what game you play, you will find them.

Flaming here is not the way man.
    We do have plenty of people that will help in this community.
    ::)
  • Yeah. NEVER ask on a pub on how to do something, unless you'd like to be told a shortcut to close the game.
  • Well, i'm not used to being told trashy things in every game... like, that didn't happen to me on maybe 9/10 games i play. So idk what to tell you... not really used for things to be like that... as i said earlier

I'll give it a shot, but i'm not sure i can get used to the controls. Legends Online was easier to play... that's why i wanted to try tribes 2
  • That's odd. In every game I go to, 99.9% of the time when I ask a question, I'll get "Press alt + f4" as a response. I always learn by experience, or, I ask a friend who has more experience with that game.

It is a shame that most people treat newbies (new people willing to learn) and noobs (new people who are pretty oblivious and dumb) are the same.
  • edited May 2009
    It might be a good idea to run a few maps off line to check things out.
    ...and yes, there are tons of things to remember and do. Too bad the Bozos have to ruin your first experiences with one of the bitchin'est games ever.

alt f4, that's a good one. ;D

=EDIT=
    Loads of reading material here: Tribes2Guide
  • alt f4, that's a good one. ;D
    Not to mention old and overused. ::)
  • Idk about everyone here, but this is NOT a place for noobs. You're trying to keep a community alive? How can you even THINK about doing that when your user database consists of rude players?

First thing I do is ask how you get into a vehicle because I saw something outside of base, and it had a turret on top of it, and wheels...

What's their response? "alt f4" and "it's god mode" and other bullshit keys and things they say.
    You've unknowingly played the part of the modern Tribes 2 troll. Of course, it isn't your fault since you are new, so I'll explain.

Right now, there are very few players that are new to the game. A common annoying troll technique is to ask very basic questions in chat and then after someone takes 10 minutes explaining, reveal that you've been playing since before anyone on the server was born. You've been mistaken for one of these people.

ProTips (these are free):
    * Hop into vehicles (the slot you want to sit/stand in).
    * In your options, make sure you set "Teleport to vehicle" so that you don't have to hop in when you "buy" a vehicle at the station.
    I'm sorry i've ever touched upon Tribes 2, even tribes 1 starsiege didn't have such a douche bag community as here. Plain pathetic. 0 Community Support whatsoever. Then I get called a faggot and a douche bag, when all I did was ask how to get into a vehicle... then i ask how to repair, and i get insulted.

This is actually one of the nicest communities you'll ever encounter, but the tolerance threshold for stupidity is extremely low (again, you've been mistaken for a troll - not your fault). A lot of the people that play Tribes are friends in real life and even players that quit playing years ago still keep in contact to see how everyone is doing.

Also:
    ALT + F4 => closes current window
    CTRL + K => suicide

Additionally, you'll probably get kicked at some point when you wander into one of the more serious games and the people are either about to have a match or think you are trying to ruin the game (because people seriously doubt there are any new players around).
    Just an FYI.
  • Oh okay, thanks for the tips. Tribes 2 has so many controls, it will drive me nuts... that's why i played StarSiege instead.

umm... so, how do you get out of a vehicle then? and how do you get into a terminal to buy a vehicle? i don't understand what the keys are...
  • Oh okay, thanks for the tips. Tribes 2 has so many controls, it will drive me nuts... that's why i played StarSiege instead.
    Make a cheat-sheet :P
    umm... so, how do you get out of a vehicle then?
    Jump
    how do you get into a terminal to buy a vehicle? i don't understand what the keys are...
    Just walk onto the vehicle station (usually on or very near the vehicle pad), and you can select the vehicle to purchase, if there are any remaining :)
  • edited May 2009
    Its ok all you need to do is walk into a vehicle spawn point on the vpad.It is the little circle there on the vpad and a drop down list will show up on your screen.Then you pick what vehicle you want if its available.Click on the vehicle or number of the vehicle you want and hit buy.You will automatically spawn in that vehicle if you have teleport to vehicles selected in your settings like teratos explained up above.

I hope you give the community a chance were not all that bad. If you still are having problems you might wanna go on an empty server and play around for awhile.If you still are having problems after that drop me a message and I will be glad to try and help you out.

A little tip some types of armors cant buy certain vehicles.

A light can purchase any type.
    A medium cannot purchase a grav cycle but all others.
    A heavy cant purchase anything but can jump in and ride in a havoc after spawned.

also you can not purchase a vehicle with a inventory station or turret pack on.
  • Begin exploring the voicebinds. They will become valulable as you gain more experience. There may seem like too many to remember but after a while you will remember them subconsciously. Just remember that in serious games the commands there are taken seriously. Don't call "Incoming Hostiles!" if there isn't a capper on their way.

The controls become easy after a bit of time and you will have no problem later on. If it is your first time playing here I suggest sticking to a regular scout loadout (Energy pack, spinfusor, grenade launcher, chaingun) for the first week or two. Try to keep your energy above 50% for a couple days as well, this will teach you good energy management, another good idea for this is learning how to keep your heat under the flashing level. This is a great skill considering missiles are very painful and heavies love pointing around the missile launcher at far away scouts.

Stick to midfield and try to intercept heavies skiing to your base or dueling other scouts.

After a couple weeks of "boot camp" pick a role you'd like to be good at (LO, HO, LD, HD, Hof, Capper, farmer, whatever) and really try to get good at it. Stick to that role no matter how boring it may end up getting just stick with it. You become much more useful (especially in competitive teams) when you are really good at one or two roles instead of half-decent at many. Although I am not saying you shouldn't try to get better at other roles after a while as you do need to be flexible but if you are good at one thing you will enjoy it more.

Sorry about the big post but I felt like talking ::)
  • Well, i'm not used to being told trashy things in every game...

The sad thing is this was kind of the normal thing in T2 when it came out. It's one of the things that drove so many players away from the game.

You can go into many other games like HL, BF2, Quakewars, etc. and the people there actually help out by telling you what you need to know. They don't seem have a superiority complex.

When I play any online game anymore I basically ignore the chat. Most of the time the chat is utterly worthless. My advice is to just ignore it. It makes the game more pleasant. :D
  • Aww, you guys are so kind
  • To change your controls, start up Tribes 2, click on the "Launch" bar in the bottom left corner, and select "Settings". A dialogue should pop up, where you can select a "controls" button, which should bring up all the controls for you to map and re-map. You can re-configure your stuff to be more like quake or something that way.
  • Right, but what about you guys? what do you use? default controls?
  • Most people, I'm pretty sure, use default controls. I use my own, custom configuration.

WASD control forward movement, backward movement, and side-to-side strafing respectively. I have E set to zoom and R for exterior view. P is deploy pack, T is global chat, and Y is team chat.

I have handheld items binded to the first letter of their name (i.e. M for mine, H for health kit, etc).

Your control set up depends entirely on what you like to do. For example, someone who farms a lot may like their deploy button to stay at R, or someone who mine-discs a lot might want to change "toss mine" to some other key that's easy to access.
  • Based on that control scheme, I must conclude that Eolk has 3 arms.
  • Ive been playing tribes 2 since 2001 when It came out, and I still don't know all the commands to do the voice stuff. So I would not even bother with that for awhile.
  • Eolk is a total newb, do not listen to him for control advice.

ESDF is superior. It leaves your fingers on the home row for typing and gives you easier access to more presses.

I might post my binds for you tomorrow.
  • WSAD movement, E zooms (Z cycles zoom, also mousewheel when zoomed), Q switches weapons, R deploys pack. Mines bound to M and an extra mouse button, Grens to G and the other extra button. Health on H.

See the problem is I've been using WSAD forever and when coming off the home row for typing, my fingers go straight back to WSAD. EDSF messes me up because I don't expect there to be the F nub under my strafe right key.
  • I'm sorry to hear of your rough experience, but yes people love to trash talk here. It's even bound into the game (vgt+another key). BUT thats not a bad thing (competition, it IS a game!), and I hate to say it but you really SHOULD play all the solo missions. They aren't the best but you will learn a LOT from it. It's a really good crash course. And you won't have to ask anymore 'dumb' questions :)

Another tip: stay away from arena servers. You will probably have the most fun in goon haven, or try and catch branzone while they are playing lakrabbit.

And I use the arrow keys for movement.. probably the only person that does. Arrow keys + numpad ftw.
    0 jump
    1 use pack
    2 mine
    3 beacon
    4 nade
    5 health kit
    6 throw health kit
    ctrl/alt/shift combos with keys for quick pack/nade switches, also loadouts with other # keys
  • seriously should not let a GAME get to you..

and yes you will find ass hats in every game..

just relax for a few then give it another try .. not all of us are here
    to make others miserable.. come on in have a good time..
  • Personally I use WASD, simply because I've always used in just about every game, and attempts to map over to ESDF leaves me searching for where to put my hand back if I momentarily need to lift it off or stretch to another position. Easier to stick with what you're used to even if the ESDF would give you a couple of extra buttons

1-6 + QEF are weapons for me
    WASD for movement
    Health kit is tab, CTRL-Tab is throw kit
    R is pack key, CTRL-R throw pack
    CTRL-W throw weapon
    Mouse 1 Shoot
    Mouse 2 Jump & Jet
    Mine on Mouse 4
    Nade on mouse 3
    Mouse Wheel for zoom
    Space for Jump
    T for beacon
    Y for Team talk,
    U for general chat

caps lock for targeting laser :p
  • edited May 2009
    The ironic thing is Evlesoa is the kind of guy who I would gladly help as much as he needed. The guys to whom I am rude and whine back at me for "chasing away new players" are actually the kinds of people who would tell a newb to alt-f4 in response to a simple question. And yes I've seen it first hand. :D

Anyway Evlesoa, the ESDF layout is probably the easiest if you can get used to it. Personally, I never bothered and instead changed to WASD as soon as possible. The problem with the built in WASD config is: 'P' is a horrible key for 'Use Pack', 'M' is unacceptable for 'Place Mine', 'G' might be too far to reach to 'Throw Grenade', and likewise 'H' might be too far to reach for 'Use Health Kit'. Those 4 keys are very important, so all three of them should be pressable without having to move either hand. Personally, I did the following:
    Left Shift - Place Mine
    F - Throw Grenade
    X - Use Pack
    And I left H as-is because I just got used to it over there.

The thing to remember with that, though, is binding anything to Shift+Key will cause you to throw a mine first. I used to have my 'Throw Flag' key as Shift+F, but thrown a mine every time I needed to throw the flag was not very good. So, I changed it to Caps Lock. Similarly, I'm always on Ventrilo, and my push-to-talk key is Ctrl, so I can't bind anything to Ctrl+Key. The default throw flag is Ctrl+F, so when I still had that, I ended up throwing the flag every time I tried to throw a flare while talking on Vent.

Also, you should get used to using the number keys to switch weapons. I have always used Q to cycle through them, but lately it has become a massive disadvantage trying to do that instead of pressing a number and switching right to the one I want. Bind them to 'Weapon Slot #', not to the actual weapon names; that way, you'll only ever have to press 1-5, which can be done without moving your hand.

Lastly, if you ever want help in real-time, I'd probably be glad to offer it - as would most everyone else I know. Easiest way to get in touch with us is through IRC - irc.tribalwar.com, channel #lastgasp. If you're interested and need help connecting, let me know.
  • edited May 2009
    I only changed throw grenade to max throw grenade and did the same with mines.

ESDF for movement
    space to jump/ski
    g for thrwoing grenades
    b for throwing mines
    q for repair kit
    t to cycle zoom lvl
    a to zoom
    tab for exterior view
    h to deploy beacons
    r to use pack
    CRTL+f for flag throw
    y opens team chat
    u opens global chatb
    c to toggle comand screen

I suggest to get a script that allows you to bind voice chat comands to numbers ( I use VoidSay ).
    1= I have the enemy flag!
    2= Cover me!
    Then you can acsess the essential ones without much thinking

EDIT: I mostly play as a scout. So I don't need to bind weapons to numbers. Using w or mouse scroll is good enough to get the right one from the 3 weapons i wield.
  • Idk about everyone here, but this is NOT a place for noobs. You're trying to keep a community alive? How can you even THINK about doing that when your user database consists of rude players?

Honestly, this is just plain ridiculous.

Congratulations, players. You really know how to chase away new players.

Assholes.

Never coming back here again. What a waste of time...

Edit - Kudos to Thyth and Eolk for being the only nice people that i met so far, in this community.

Sorry, Just not putting up with such high level of unfriendliness. (And sorry for the cursing, I'm just frustrated to come here and be blown off like that. Oh well, not the first time it happened...)

Sorry for you. But seems that you ended up to normal Classic server where are most idiotic players without no gameplay or social skills. It is sad that Classic players usually do not have will to teach new players to start. It only would take few minutes to teach basics and then give them few tasks to do. But Classic is just that, it ruines the game totally, as most of T2 mods. Base is the only true Tribes 2 mode and it is the original how T2 was designed to play. But many does not like it because it ain't so fast, you can not own alone few guys and gameplay is all ways much easier than on base.

Just for answer for you. Getting to vehicle, you need to jump to the seat position. Usually best way to get in is to jump and fly few meters over the seat and drop down to it. To get out, just press Jump button (usually space).

And the vehicle what had force field on it's seat and turret top of it and INV behind it. Is called as MPB (Mobile Point Base). And the driver seat is only for moving the MPB and when doing so, it will retract the turrent and INV before it can be moved and it takes time to debloy again. And before the force field is ON again, enemy can jump to driver seat and steal the vehicle. Only way to kill driver is CG (Chain Gun).

we are with friends always helping new players. But usually the response from them is "I know so STFU!" and then they do something stupid (steps on your base minefield without understainding markins, placing beacons as target mode (default) when marking INV or mines, Teamkilling when they are frustrated about game and last, usually walking around without flying and skiing or using vehicled. Or always placing one kind (AA) mountable turret or driving vehicles to wrong places or bombing too low etc etc...

Tribes 2 takes time and what is usually wrong for new players, is that they do not know how to move and when they are on ground or they dont know how to control flying, they are easy targets and they get owned very fast and if there is no one saying "Hey, do this next time and you survive with better changes"... they never learn without taking first hit...
  • I dunno, I find the cs community is far worse than this, people in WoW can be complete dickheads as well. As a matter of fact I cant think of one game I have played where a newbie question is answered politely by everyone in the server. You have to remember that this game is old and 99% of the people playing have been playing for a long time. The ones that are left are truly fond of this game, and maybe a bit overprotective of it. Even though we would like to see it succeed on a grand scale, we are still a little suspicious of newcomers. I think most of us would rather it stay small than give the community over to a bunch of smaktard counterstrike types(not saying the OP is one). Its like T2 is your daughter, the guy she ends up marrying may turn out to be a wonderful human being and a great husband, but as her father you bet your ass your gonna give him a hard time before you get to really know him.

In the end the game is remarkable and definately worth your time and aggravation so stick with it and you'll get the old man's approval eventually.