No Noob Left Behind

I wanted to ask if there was interest in forming an adopt a noobie program, where veteran players teach and work with people who want to learn how to play tribes. Adopter's show them the ropes and give them advice on how to play this game with a high learning curve.

If you're interested in adopting or want to be adopted, please post here or send your request privately via private message (PM).

For the record, I'd like to work with at least 2 players at one time, I've done this before with at least 10 players.

|HV| TerraNova

Comments

• I'm willing to adopt.

Strictly only if they wish to play arena or classic though.
  • Most of the people still playing who need to be helped are probably people you would consider having as teachers. Not trying to be insulting here, just trying to bring up a really important point.
  • Most of the people still playing who need to be helped are probably people you would consider having as teachers. Not trying to be insulting here, just trying to bring up a really important point.

Pretty much this. Fact is, despite it being around for years, absolutely zero skilled players (or even players who know what they're doing) came out of servers like HV - not even in regards to vehicles.

How can you teach people the game when you likely don't know much to begin with?
  • Also to add something positive, I would be happy to (and have in the past) be a part of something like this, so long as the entire group measures up to a decent set of standards. My first post expressed my concern in that regard.
  • I remember being taught how to have skill back in T1 days. I also remember EWo bombardier Badazz teaching me everything she knew about Tribes 2 in like an hour, when there was only like 5 minutes worth of material that she actually knew.
  • The OP stated to "teach them to play" not teach the to be skilled. He's obviously doing this because of the fact that people have tried and quit this game simply because there are so many, who won't even take the time to realize that some people just want to play and have fun, not try and make it their life achievement.

By the way, count me in. Any new players who want to learn PM me, I'm willing to teach what I know. I may not measure up to some peoples "standards" here, but I know I at least have enough experience to play the game and have fun doing it.
  • I'll adopt Kryand and Red Shifter.
  • You severely over-estimate the number of people there are who actually haven't played before. Most of the people you see who are really bad aren't even new and would probably take offense if you offered to train them. And furthermore, if you are going to start a training program, why would you want to half-ass it and only teach them basics? It wouldn't take any longer to teach them advanced skills as well so long as the teacher has mastered said skills. It just seems like a huge waste of time to me if all you are going to teach is stuff that anyone could learn naturally in about a week.
  • *cough* Training missions *cough*

Seriously though, a good few basics can be learned just by playing the training missions. To me an effective Adopt-a-Newbie initiative would take "I've played the missions, but now what?" players and show them things they don't teach you in training, like mine-discing (as much as some people are reported to dislike it) or how the SJ, Cloak packs and motion sensors and cameras all work together.

Seriously though, a good few basics can be learned just by playing the training missions. To me an effective Adopt-a-Newbie initiative would take "I've played the missions, but now what?" players and show them things they don't teach you in training, like mine-discing (as much as some people are reported to dislike it) or how the SJ, Cloak packs and motion sensors and cameras all work together.
    lol nice fakepost

lol nice fakepost
    lol nice fakepost
  • I often "adopt" people only to show them how to get off their feet and into the sky. I leave the rest to them, so they can become what they want to become. Last thing I want is more Eolks running around. ;)

I'll definitely teach people about pubbing and some fun things. Otherwise, pwning in tribes 2 boils down to experience.
  • how is babby formed?

I'd say adopt me if I could play. Hopefully the program doesn't lose funding.
  • I could use a refresher course myself.
  • i taught a guy to use a repair pack last week. go figure. I guess its feasible. hell when I joined the Bushmasters Story made me spend hours in training, and I'd already been playing for 5+ years and was a certified asskicker. and he STILL taught me some new tactics. But as good as I am its just hard to get in that zone anymore.
  • So these are two people who would like to be adopted so far:

robertom2002
    Freshlysqueezed

I can take one or both of you or just one person if you'd like, please let me know.

Any other people looking to learn from scratch or just refresh their memories please ignore the self important idiots and post your interest level.

TN
  • edited May 2009
    This is a great idea. Skill is subjective. The point made in this thread, and its not a bad idea. is to get people who are more experienced and/or familiar with the game to help out new people who have never played it before or very little. This isnt about some epenis trip over skill level. Its about fostering the player base.

Come on TWL for all that eskill you cant figure out that basic concept? Are you suffering an Achilles complex?
  • What do you want TWL to do?
  • So these are two people who would like to be adopted so far:

robertom2002
    Freshlysqueezed

I can take one or both of you or just one person if you'd like, please let me know.

Any other people looking to learn from scratch or just refresh their memories please ignore the self important idiots and post your interest level.

TN

When do we start :) ?

About what time do you usually get on to play tribes? I'm in the Central time zone.

TN
  • Hey all, another noobish player here. - first post, whoa. -

I guess it would be great for me to have a teacher-like someone, cause usually I just can't find my place ingame. I haven't been playing for too long, so don't expect much ::)

- bc
  • i'd be willing to adopt terranova
  • This is a great idea. Skill is subjective. The point made in this thread, and its not a bad idea. is to get people who are more experienced and/or familiar with the game to help out new people who have never played it before or very little. This isnt about some epenis trip over skill level. Its about fostering the player base.

Come on TWL for all that eskill you cant figure out that basic concept? Are you suffering an Achilles complex?
    No one said it's a bad idea to teach newbs. The point is it's a completely wasted effort if the teachers can't actually teach much of anything. There are people in #lastgasp (irc.tribalwar.com) who, by themselves, could teach a new player more than everyone in your group combined - and probably in less time. If you really wanted to help new players, the best choice would be to just get them on IRC and send them there. But I have a feeling you won't do that.
  • This is a great idea. Skill is subjective. The point made in this thread, and its not a bad idea. is to get people who are more experienced and/or familiar with the game to help out new people who have never played it before or very little. This isnt about some epenis trip over skill level. Its about fostering the player base.

No one said it's a bad idea to teach newbs. The point is it's a completely wasted effort if the teachers can't actually teach much of anything. There are people in #lastgasp (irc.tribalwar.com) who, by themselves, could teach a new player more than everyone in your group combined - and probably in less time. If you really wanted to help new players, the best choice would be to just get them on IRC and send them there. But I have a feeling you won't do that.

I can't see many people in there willing to train noobs, I honestly think this would work better. And I hope you were excluding me when you made such a general statement as "teach a new player more than everyone in your group combined".

Freshlysqueezed msg me with your available times.
  • i'd be willing to adopt terranova
    I would be willing to sell danohtwo to bad nobody wants him not even maddona and she will adopt anybody.
  • Michael jackson wants him
    Yeah but MJ wants little boys not little girls so that wouldnt work either.Maybe we could pay someone to take him?
  • People in #lastgasp are willing to help, so you're wrong Mr. Phoenix.

The difference is that if someone in #lastgasp isn't good at something, they'll refer you to someone that is good at it, instead of trying to justify their own bad habits.
  • Remove flames from thread.

Yknow in most forums it's considered the point of having moderators to ban the people that can't stop insulting and demeaning everyone else rather than just enabling their behavior and letting them continue to drive off new people with their unending trolling and flaming.

Yknow in most forums it's considered the point of having moderators to ban the people that can't stop insulting and demeaning everyone else rather than just enabling their behavior and letting them continue to drive off new people with their unending trolling and flaming.
    I'm very well aware of that.

Say on-topic. :P
    Your so cute when you do that babe. I love you.