We NEED to make Tribes II in a browser like Starsiege: Tribes

I think it's a fantastic idea. It would help bring back the Tribes community even further and unravel good memories to those who find it. When we all had the "Your version (0.25034.0.0) of Tribes 2 is out of date, but there are no updates to update Tribes 2 to the latest version." and along with the master server shutdowns, It literally almost crumbled the Tribes II community like dust before our eyes. Luckily a few patches were made to play the game again by various devoted players. Then TribesNext came and united what little we could find of the community back together again. Many people were never found and many of those people have lost any reason to play once more. We have forgotten ourselves and what makes us happy. Tribes II makes me happy, it makes you happy, don't you wish to return the favor? The web is the best way to let everyone all over the world see what we want them to see. Imagine how many players could be sucked into Tribes II through the web. Sure seems almost unfathomable doesn't it? It can be if we make it be. We could show our friends on the go or even play at school or work on our free time. People can get discouraged if they can't figure how to install Tribes II and the patch along with it and most give up. The web browser MUST be integrated with the client side network through TribesNext. Keep up the good work and hope beyond the best we are united once more. This is my dream, what is yours?fullqualityclassicspict.png

Comments

• Why? Don't you think more people would join Tribes II? :-\
  • I doubt it would do anything.
  • No.

I see this is going to be a popular quote.

Agreed!

As old as Tribes 2 is; to make it popular, we need a T2 movie or cable series like Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek with a good script and decent actors/actresses.

Weed!

As old as Tribes 2 is; to make it popular, we need a T2 movie or cable series like Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek...
    lol.

we need a anime series;
    Demon: whats inferno's score?
    nomeD: its over 9000!

yeah, instead of changing armor, you change hair colour.
    w00t DBZ.

can I have the ban lifted please beaz?
  • I think things like this are best left up to gg.
  • I think the first step would be incorporating it into another community, like Games for Windows Live or Steam. I don't think there is anything that could make the T2 community grow on its own. I mean, what's the last popular game to come out that wasn't a part of one of those communities?
  • Solitaire?
  • Solitaire?

True, but that's probably because it's bundled for free with every copy of windows.
  • By running it in a browser, we mean a browser launches the T2 executable right?
  • God i hate browser based games... they lag like mother fuckers.
  • >:( NOPE. >:(

I like my t2 interface the way it is. It feels like its always felt. leave it alone. give us clan support and tags. colored tags. maybe a match scheduling thingy, to challenge folks. TMAIL. ::)

dont put my game in no damn browser
  • >:( NOPE. >:(

I like my t2 interface the way it is. It feels like its always felt. leave it alone. give us clan support and tags. colored tags. maybe a match scheduling thingy, to challenge folks. TMAIL. ::)

dont put my game in no damn browser
    All that needs to be said.
  • Hm, QuakeLIVE anyone? It's stable, easy to use and pretty popular at the moment. If it will stay this way is another thing but at the moment I think it was a great success.
  • Quake was incredibly popular and virtually every gamer ever recognizes the name, and probably lots of non-gamers too. Tribes has no where near that kind of recognition.
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, the Quake games are probably as close to an institution in gaming as you can get, you'd be hard pressed to find a serious or even casual gamer that wouldn't at some point have played one of the Quake titles during the past 10 years, and id's name as a studio still carries a good deal of weight in terms of name recognition, even if Doom 3 was un ugly plastic suckfest :p.

I wouldn't be surpised at all if even the super-acient Q1/Q2 still have more players than T2, at least if you're accounting for the various mods. Now, Q4 on the other hand...
  • Ahh but q3 and the rest lack the gameplay of t1. They lack the kilometers of open terrain, the jet packs, and kryand.
  • Ahh but q3 and the rest lack the gameplay of t1. They lack the kilometers of open terrain, the jet packs, and kryand.
    Oh yes every game needs a Kryand.
  • Most games have like 10x as many mes.

lol... seriously we need to attract thousands of noobs!
  • well putting in a browser like they did with q3 could help that but what really helped q3 was the support it got from Id.I just dont see that happening with gg.
  • I'm still unsure why the PPID pointing to the browser helps with anything.
  • Hey guys I get the messages and the fact that we probably don't need a browser based Tribes II. Also some people I think were confused about what I mean, I didn't mean a redirection or to "have" to play Tribes II in the web browser but just another way of gathering players. Also i'd like to say I have played Doom, Doom II, Dukenukem 3D Atomic version 1.5, Heretic, Blood, and some of the older classics. I have not, however, played any of the Quake series. If anyone has played please let me know how good they are. Thanks for the replies.
  • q3 is fun
  • All the quake games are pretty fun I think steam offers a package with all of them pretty cheap.I would get it myself but I have all the quake games on discs somewhere around here.
  • Yeah, the Quake games are probably as close to an institution in gaming as you can get, you'd be hard pressed to find a serious or even casual gamer that wouldn't at some point have played one of the Quake titles during the past 10 years, and id's name as a studio still carries a good deal of weight in terms of name recognition, even if Doom 3 was un ugly plastic suckfest :p.

I wouldn't be surpised at all if even the super-acient Q1/Q2 still have more players than T2, at least if you're accounting for the various mods. Now, Q4 on the other hand...

yeah, ive heard of quake but never played it. EVER
    on topic: dont put T2 in a browser, browser games lag like hell AND you ALWAYS need to install something or have a cache, its NEVER completely browser-ed, not unless u turn it into a flash game :P. and programs tend to be more efficient when it comes to graphics (they can do more with less then browser games)