Yet another (and rather odd) incarnation of the VERY common c0000005 UE

I understand that the c0000005 UE has been talked about and debated a million times over, but I've got a new version for you all. Tribes online runs just fine, and when my comp is connected to the internet, solo/LAN runs perfect as well. When I'm totally disconnected to the Internet, however, I get the UE, after the game has booted up fully, exactly when I click to switch to the LAN game menu (from the character appearance screen). If I have the Internet on, and start a LAN game, then disconnect, it runs fine, and I can even stop that game and begin another w/o trouble. Since I don't always have internet access, this is a big problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and Ill say in advance that I have tried everything else on the forum.

The address of the UE is 00559ce2 (sometimes the last digit is variable, but 2 is most common).

Comments

• Get a mod that deletes .dso files when you exit the game, because the last time I got a c0000005 UE deleting the .dso files allowed T2 to work agian.
  • I already have a script to get rid of .dso files, so that cant be it (It was actually one of the first things I looked into).
  • well then I can't help you, sorry, but I understand your pain
  • My guess is theres a call being made by t2 networking to your net stack and if the stack's disabled you get the ue no matter if you want to play online or off.
  • My guess is theres a call being made by t2 networking to your net stack and if the stack's disabled you get the ue no matter if you want to play online or off.

That was one of the things I thought of, but I don't know how the program functions well enough to do anything about it. I have, however, ran the game while connected to my LAN, but not connected to the internet. I got the UE. So it needs the internet specifically to work...1) why does single player appear to need an intenet connection, 2) if it doesn't, what could cause the program to think it does, and 3) can it be fixed???
  • This may be caused by the authentication code, if it can't contact the auth server you don't get to play even if offline?
  • edited July 2009
    Blakhart, that makes sense...very depressing sense.... Is there any way to get around it if you are right? A CD version of the game wouldn't likely have this problem...would it? By auth server I'm guessing you're referring to the server that gives you a cd key for the free version. If I bought the game with a "real" cd key, it wouldn't need to contact that server...just thinking, idk...

EDIT: Getting a cd version, if it would work, is to me a last resort. If there are any other ways to fix this, I would prefer those options.
  • I've alerted the brains and the reply as to wtf is going will hopefully be forthcoming.
  • Thank you very much Blakhart. :)
  • This may be caused by the authentication code, if it can't contact the auth server you don't get to play even if offline?
    No.

The game only talks to the Auth Server when you are creating or retrieving an account, not when logging in (Read the Technical Overview for more specifics).

Best guess is the built-in IRC client (or some other script) attempting a connection to the internet, and failing. Sadly, the in-game TCP/HTTP objects are quite cranky if they cannot perform certain connection/DNS lookup related functions. :\

I'd suggest creating a blank ChatGui.cs file in your base/scripts/ folder, deleting DSO files, and attempting.
  • Adding a ChatGui.cs file into base\scripts didn't work...The UE had the exact same address as before, and it always happens at the exact same place: when tribes loads up, it comes to the training screen, and all is well. When I click on the LAN game button, it crashes. Idk, but maybe there is some part of the transition from screen to screen that is internet-sensitive???
  • After some poking around, I've discovered the reason for this UE.
    It is due in part to the automated call to queryMasterGameTypes() by Tribes 2 when you first load the Warrior screen, and the overwrite of this function by TribesNext using the built-in TCP objects.

The following should fix it:
    package TN_LAN_FIX
    {
    	function queryMasterGameTypes()
    	{
    		if ($playingOnline)
    			parent::queryMasterGameTypes();
    	}
    };
    if (!isActivePackage(TN_LAN_FIX))
    	activatePackage(TN_LAN_FIX);

Alternatively, download the attached script and place in base/scripts/autoexec/.
  • Well, thank you for what you have done so far, Turkeh, you did fix the training-->lan screen crash, but now another has appeared: the same exact error but at address 00559ce4, right when the game switches to the game load screen. So now I can set up/configure a game, click start, initialize the server, and once the load screen comes up, it crashes. Much closer than I've been before lol, so tks, but idk if this one is a related problem or a completely new one...
  • What are your specs as far as vid card?
  • My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, and is fully up-to-date.
  • Well, I would try other vid card drivers, then again, I would just use a dedicated system to host and be done with it. What os are you running?
  • My os is Vista Home Premium. But how would a dedicated system help if I'm not connected to the internet or a LAN? That is my whole problem--tribes works fine when I'm connected to the internet, but I travel a lot, and even wi-fi isn't everywhere I go. Admittedly I know very little about dedicated servers in relation to tribes, but when you say "use a dedicated system to host," I am interpreting that as use a separate computer to run a tribes server, and connect to it via my play computer.
  • You are correct in you estimation regarding dedicated servers. With vista being the os, and your need for a listen server with no net connection, my guess is this is all vistas fault. Any chance you could dual boot an xp install?
  • I believe I could set up a dual boot for XP. If I did, would I have to do any xtra set-up or configuring?
  • As far as the game? No.
  • Since you mention a connection problem, the likely source of the UEs are in DNS resolution failure -- not a video card driver issue. There are a few places where this could be happening...

1) Account server IP lookup (queries tribesnext.com)
    2) Account server connection (this is usually specified by IP though, so no DNS lookup)
    3) IRC server connection (queries irc.arloria.net)
    4) Latest news download (queries tribesnext.com, I think)
    5) List of online servers (queries master.tribesnext.com)
    6) Local WAN IP lookup (queries tribesnext.com)

Since you're running in "offline" mode, presumably the account server code is never initialized -- I know for sure that #2 won't occur unless you retrieve an online account, or open the account creation wizard. I don't think #1, #3, or #5 occur, but, someone should double check. I have no idea about #4. I think #6 might execute regardless.

#6 is necessary to prevent active replay attacks of your account challenges in online mode, but is unnecessary in offline mode. I don't remember adding a $playingOnline check to that particular code, so that TCP code might be the source of your problems.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi again, I just got back from traveling and this is the first time I can respond. I can't dual-boot as I originally thought, but will try to run tribes on a virtual machine with XP as its OS. I think it should have the same effect (correct me if I'm wrong).

Oh and Thyth, I might understand what you are talking about, but I have no idea how to fix it lol...could you elaborate?
  • I know a guy who does the virtual thing to host a t2 server, so it has been done.
  • It's something I'll look into for RC3.
  • When I'm totally disconnected to the Internet, however, I get the UE, after the game has booted up fully, exactly when I click to switch to the LAN game menu (from the character appearance screen).
    Same problem. My Internet-connection was broken for 2 days - I can't play even offline with bots because of this UE!

My codes are: 00559ce2 and 00559ce4

T2 crashes then I try to click on LAN page or start Training missions.

My system: ATI Radeon 9600 PRO, Windows XP.

Game with installed RC2A Path...
  • delete all .dso files found in the base folders and try again

also, with the older ati cards you might want to run the cat 5.11 driver and no later version