TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Support >  The Linux Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: The Linux Thread
Bob Barker
Nugget

View Profile
January 08, 2009, 03:44:59 AM »
Since no one's started a Linux thread yet... I'll begin.

So I tested the installation on an up to date Debian Sid/Experimental with wine version wine-1.1.11-206-gad432bf (latest experimental package) and I was able to play Tribes 2 normally using the -nologin option but using the -online option the game will freeze upon the Garage Games logo.

If any developers want me to do further testing just reply to this thread, hopefully others will join in Smiley
altpersona
Nugget

View Profile
1: January 08, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
im on Ubuntu,

i already had a working tribes install.

i tried to install the patch w/ cxgames, but it wouldnt go..

i opened the patch exe w/ the archive manager and unzipped it into the /gamedata folder.

i can still run tribes 2 from my launcher but i dont see anything differnt.

this is just as the Known issues thread says...
Octopuss
Nugget

View Profile
2: January 08, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »
I heard that Turkeh got T2 working under wine by altering some of the game's networking capabilities, but it's still a bit unstable.
Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
3: January 08, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
This is a known issue.

The T2 script system networking objects, for some reason have problems running under Wine. It's very likely a problem with an imperfect reimplementation of the WinSock API.

In the process of running the game online in client mode, the game almost immediately connects to this website to find the location of the authentication server. Account creation requires several network transfers with the authentication server. Once you log in, the listing code, and the old game IRC code initialize.

All of these are points of failure in Wine.

Turkeh is working on shifting those networking operations to the Ruby interpreter, thus avoiding the game specific networking glitches. Until that's complete, there isn't very much you can do, short of stripping out all of the networking enabled scripts.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
Elliotw2
Nugget

View Profile
4: January 08, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
Couldn't you make a patch that works with the existing version of Tribes 2 from Loki?
Krash
Administrator

View Profile WWW
5: January 08, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »
Not in the same fashion, and not while we're occupied with bringing the core up to spec, but it may come up in time once it's better established. Smiley

Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
6: January 08, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »
Loki's port provides a much worse experience than running the Windows version under Wine.

If we can get these crashes resolved by moving network operations to the Ruby interpreter, we will go that route.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
Plexor
Nugget

View Profile
7: January 17, 2009, 03:00:48 AM »
I am also very interested in running this in Linux.  I am running Debian sid as well as Ubuntu 8.10.  Please make it work, please please please.... it always freezes for me when it reaches the login screen.  I even tried compiling the latest SVN of wine... same problem.
admax88
Nugget

View Profile
8: January 18, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
I would also be very interested in playing on linux.  I just tested the patch using wine-1.1.12 on amd64.  With the -online option the game froze during the GarageGames splash screen just as others had reported.
Mr_H
Nugget

View Profile
9: January 18, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »
I've been told that T2 will work on Ubuntu 8.04, but some libraries in 8.10 'broke' the game.

I wish I knew what to fix, I'd like to run a server off my linux box.
admax88
Nugget

View Profile
10: January 18, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
I've been told that T2 will work on Ubuntu 8.04, but some libraries in 8.10 'broke' the game.

I wish I knew what to fix, I'd like to run a server off my linux box.

I don't know the specifics of Ubuntu releases, but on my gentoo system I can run T2 just fine.  Except when using the modified Tribes  Next executable.  I keep my system fairly up to date, so I imagine if you update to a recent ubuntu release you should be able to get T2 running.  However a solution is found for online mode freezing with the Tribes Next executable you'll be stuck with offline mode.
Mr_H
Nugget

View Profile
11: January 18, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »
Sorry, my bad.  The person who told me it stopped working said "It stopped working on Ubuntu 8.04."  My server is 8.10... :/
terracon
Nugget

View Profile
12: January 18, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
To get Tribes 2 working Ubuntu and Fedora and I would say most other modern distro's. You need to download the Loki compat libraries.  Go here http://www.swanson.ukfsn.org/loki/  . Currently http://www.swanson.ukfsn.org/loki/loki_compat_libs-1.3.tar.bz2   seems to be the latest.

#!/bin/sh
export COMPAT=home/user/Download/Loki_Compat
export LD_PRELOAD=/$COMPAT/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so:/$COMPAT/libSDL-1.2.so.0
cd /home/user/.loki/tribes2/base
for foo in `find . -name "*.dso"`; do rm -f $foo; done
/usr/local/games/tribes2/tribes2.dynamic -nologin

Here's my script I was using to load it up.  I hope this helps. I think. I had to install smpeg and SDL. Post back here if the game fires up for you.
Mr_H
Nugget

View Profile
13: January 19, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
Thanks to those libraries up there and a little bit of hacking around, I managed to get a T2 Linux Server installed from the Windows CD  (as soon as I make sure everythings working 100% I'll write up my notes).

The only problem I have now is that when I started the server (./tribes2d -dedicated) it starts...then exits out a little bit later with no other messages.    According to the FAQ this means it can't reach the authentication servers.  I made sure the port was open (28000), but it still errors out. 

I'm assuming this is all because the official auth servers are down then.  Anyone have suggestions for how to bypass this?

(Remember, it's a Linux Dedicated server, not a client or a windows server:) )

Thanks
Denthrax
Nugget

View Profile
14: January 19, 2009, 11:19:38 AM »
Yeah have the same problem. Got it installed and working in LAN mode. But can't get it to work in online dedicated mode for TribesNext... guess it's the authentication (as win uses the ruby dll for tcp auth)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines