The GREAT TRIBAL WAR! (wheeee!)

So. Does ANYONE have GTW server files? Or anyone actively hosting?

Would be quite a shame for the greatest gaming experience I've ever had to simply fade into obscurity.

Comments

• The mod is still hovering around somewhere. I'm pretty sure I have a copy somewhere, just don't know where.

Here's the T:V version: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtwar :P
  • edited January 2009
    I couldn't find the files online. Luckily I still had them and just enough space to host locally

http://hosted.tribesnext.com/gtw/

I also uploaded a Youtube video from back in the day here

[edit] Updated link with GokouZWAR's link
  • Thanks a ton, man. I've been wanting to try out this mod since I heard of it.

~Syn~
  • See if you can get ahold of BugsPray on Tribalwar. He will probably find his way here anyways once he realizes t2 is back.
  • BugsPray... I pretty much forgot about him...

And GTW too. I'd be heavily excited if it came back.
  • It's about time. I've waited years to play this again. pickup game anyone?
  • I would definitely be up for playing a pickup of this

If anyone decides to organize one I would absolutely make time for it
  • i'd be down for some GTW any time.

that shit was the shit
  • edited January 2009
    Important PS: I realized the file I uploaded before was an older version with some really silly bugs.

I updated my earlier link with a rar that has the most advanced release build
  • edited January 2009
    Wow, amazing to see people talking about GTW still. Great to know there's still some folks out there. I happened to be searching for my old files that I hid on the net and I stumbled across this post. Apparently I did a good job of hiding them since I can't remember what I named it. What shocked me is this post is only 5 days old meaning there's still some interested folks. After seeing this mod's longevity i'm actually quite pissed at myself for stopping it back in 2004. I'd probably be on GTW 3 by now! :P
    Would be quite a shame for the greatest gaming experience I've ever had to simply fade into obscurity.

Gotta say that's probably the best praise from anyone about GTW. What's all this talk about T2 coming back? Should I dust off the old spin fuser and start hosting a 24/7 GTW server? ;)

BTW, were you guys aware of my original site. (shocked it's still being hosted, I thought they shut down Planet Tribes ages ago.) http://www.planettribes.com/gtw

GokouZWAR
  • Ok well I found my files finally after massive searching. I also found several maps i never released as well. Last version of GTW was version 1.3. I plan to get this version working. (for some reason when the game is over, it doesn't cycle maps), and release it as version 1.4 with server files so you guys can host some servers and have some new maps. Just got done testing version 1.4 on my own server. I'd like to see how many players I can fit on my line to see if I can host anything decent. So be on the lookout for the files. You may see the server running a map named Manak, that's the old PNET map for those of you old school GTW players. You should be able to join the server with your old files. If not, use the link above and download his client files. It should have the pnet.ter file in there.

GokouZWAR
  • hello im new to tribes 2 will anyone be online?
    oh and i jus downloaded the great tribal war
  • Ok guys I just uploaded the server and client files for GTW 1.4 to Tribes Next's FTP. Get it here:

http://hosted.tribesnext.com/gtw

Start hosting em, and start playin again. Lets get this thing off the ground.

GokouZWAR
  • I saw a server with gtw running but couldn't connect because of the "class b IP" error. :(
  • Sweet

Thanks, Gokou
  • I saw a server with gtw running but couldn't connect because of the "class b IP" error. :(

What's the IP of the server? Is it still up now? When did you try?

GokouZWAR

What's the IP of the server? Is it still up now? When did you try?

GokouZWAR

208.101.53.90:27002

I tried last night and just now, same error.
  • k, oddly enough it's not on the tribes next server list, but I added it to mine. I got the same error. I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

GokouZWAR
  • Ok apparently this is an old GTW server that probably was put up back in the day but no one ever bothered to update it when the T2 Master server shut down. It needs to be patched. Hopefully whoever owns it will do it, and hopefully they'll get the new server files too. Unfortunatly, right now nothing can be done unless I can get the server info from MaxOGC.com which is highly unlikely.

GokouZWAR
  • Unfortunatly, right now nothing can be done unless I can get the server info from MaxOGC.com which is highly unlikely.

GokouZWAR

Highly unlikely you say?? ;)
  • Well at the TIME I thought it was...Still gotta come up with the cash tho to KEEP it at this point... Thanks for letting me get it running tho! At least we have a place to play now!

BTW, MaxOGC is hosting us a server now, well apparenlty has been for a while thanks to Bugspray. But I did get that server up and running so we're all good to go there. Right now it's set on 40 players.

GokouZWAR
  • OK guys I've released an all new GTW version on our game server. I've fixed some of our more major bugs: see below for details! Your old client files you have should run just fine with the new version so no need to redownload any client files! Enjoy!
    Great Tribal War Version 1.5
    Developed by GokouZWAR

>
    <

Full Installation:
    Please note you must have the full Tribes 2 game in order to play. This can be obtained for free from http://www.tribesnext.com

Copy the GTW.VL2 file into your gamedata/base folder.
    Delete all .DSO files from all directories (use the supplied .bat file if needed)
    ENJOY!

>
    <

GTW Gameplay and Objectives:

Objectives:
    Destroy the enemy Global Position Targeter (GPT). First team to do so while still living wins. -Primary Objective!
    It is possible for both GPTs to be destroyed, after both are destroyed the game is a last man standing wins situation.

Common Gameplay Tips:
    Each Team has a set of packs that drop at the start. Find the packs and deploy them within 50 meters of your GPT. Failure to do so may result in your team's defeat.
    If you don't see the packs check your back to make sure you didn't spawn on one and picked it up and try to search the surrounding area. Sometimes they slide down hillsides a little ways.
    Your GPT is invincible if powered.
    If you deploy items too far away from power they won't work. Keep everything within 50 meters of a power source (IE solar panel)
    If you do deploy an item too far away, use your deconstruct gun to get
    You can have more than one power source for your base creating a backup power system.
    Some things can be deployed on the ceilings and walls.
    If your GPT is not deployed your teammates won't be able to spawn.
    Vehicles are obtained from inventory stations via your inventory menu using the "packs" section.
    Base objects are also obtained from inventory stations in the same manner.
    Large Base turret barrels are changed by having the turret in pack form on your player and hitting the beacon button to swap thru them.

>
    <

Changes in this version:

Revamped entire endgame senario. (Updated rules to reflect, removed limited spawns)
    Enemy team is no longer able to pickup your team's GPT when in pack form preventing the endgame from properly executing.
    GPT will auto deploy after 30 seconds in pack form if not picked up or if no one can get to it for some reason, (IE enemy camping it).

>
    <

Known Bugs:

Sometimes you are put in observer mode when the game starts and the game will not let you spawn.
    To fix this, switch teams and switch back. (Try not to cheat too much guys)

Occationally at the start of the match you will spawn in another location away from your GPT.
    Just die once and you'll respawn at the GPT properly.

Jug armors are unable to use the deconstruct gun as a default weapon.
    Use your weapon select NUMBERS to select the deconstruct gun on medium and light armors, it's usually the last slot (4 or 5).

>
    <

Change History:

V1.4:
    Removed disc cone of fire
    Lowered Jetpack power
    Code endgame for deconstructed GPT and no players [BugsPray]
    Increase chain gun firing radius [Gokou]
    Code Deconstruct gun to default weapon like the laser targeter. [BugsPray]
    Edit the links on the startup to the proper location.
    Code in the new pack shape files [Gokou]
    Fix the team names to show up at the end instead of “defenders” and “attackers” [BugsPray]

>
    <

Technical Issues:
    [email protected] (BUG REPORTS ONLY PLEASE)
    Server files available upon request ONLY.

Forums: PENDING
  • ALready found a bug! ARG! Well 2, minor one and a big one. APparently in my revamp of the endgame i forgot to put in the end game situation when all players are dead it ends! Ok so it's not a new bug we've had this one for a while now just ends up being different places and occational. So once you win the map, go ahead and vote for a new map.

Bug 2, minor one, when the GPT is auto deployed it doesn't remove the beacon from the pack properly which leaves a beacon at the GPT's last location. If you move it a lot and it autodeploys a lot then you could potentially have a lot of beacons laying around.

Both easily fixed but right now we're having server issues where I can't get into the server to reset it. I'm working on the problem now and hopefully will have it resolved soon.

GokouZWAR
  • edited January 2009
    Version 1.51 released on the MaxOGC server. Read below for changes and fixes. Current version client files are still on http://hosted.tribesnext.com/gtw if you have downloaded the files from here before no update is needed.
    Great Tribal War Version 1.51
    Developed by GokouZWAR

>
    <

Full Installation:
    Please note you must have the full Tribes 2 game in order to play. This can be obtained for free from http://www.tribesnext.com

Copy the GTW.VL2 file into your gamedata/base folder.
    Delete all .DSO files from all directories (use the supplied .bat file if needed)
    ENJOY!

>
    <

GTW Gameplay and Objectives:

Objectives:
    Destroy the enemy Global Position Targeter (GPT). First team to do so while still living wins. -Primary Objective!
    It is possible for both GPTs to be destroyed, after both are destroyed the game is a last man standing wins situation.

Common Gameplay Tips:
    Each Team has a set of packs that drop at the start. Find the packs and deploy them within 50 meters of your GPT. Failure to do so may result in your team's defeat.
    If you don't see the packs check your back to make sure you didn't spawn on one and picked it up and try to search the surrounding area. Sometimes they slide down hillsides a little ways.
    Your GPT is invincible if powered.
    If you deploy items too far away from power they won't work. Keep everything within 50 meters of a power source (IE solar panel)
    If you do deploy an item too far away, use your deconstruct gun to get
    You can have more than one power source for your base creating a backup power system.
    Some things can be deployed on the ceilings and walls.
    If your GPT is not deployed your teammates won't be able to spawn.
    Vehicles are obtained from inventory stations via your inventory menu using the "packs" section.
    Base objects are also obtained from inventory stations in the same manner.
    Large Base turret barrels are changed by having the turret in pack form on your player and hitting the beacon button to swap thru them.

>
    <

Changes in this version:

Revamped entire endgame senario. (Updated rules to reflect, removed limited spawns)
    Enemy team is no longer able to pickup your team's GPT when in pack form preventing the endgame from properly executing.
    GPT will auto deploy after 30 seconds in pack form if not picked up or if no one can get to it for some reason, (IE enemy camping it).

>
    <
    Fixed Bugs:

Sometimes you are put in observer mode when the game starts and the game will not let you spawn, this has been corrected. If this occurs please let GokouZWAR know via email at the bottom.
    Endgame now works if no opponents are on the enemy team. Map cycles properly.
    Endgame now allows you to hunt down the remaining enemy players and ends properly.

>
    <

Known Bugs:

Occationally at the start of the match you will spawn in another location away from your GPT.
    Just die once and you'll respawn at the GPT properly.

Jug armors are unable to use the deconstruct gun as a default weapon.
    Use your weapon select NUMBERS to select the deconstruct gun on medium and light armors, it's usually the last slot (4 or 5).

>
    <

Change History:

V1.4:
    Removed disc cone of fire
    Lowered Jetpack power
    Code endgame for deconstructed GPT and no players [BugsPray]
    Increase chain gun firing radius [Gokou]
    Code Deconstruct gun to default weapon like the laser targeter. [BugsPray]
    Edit the links on the startup to the proper location.
    Code in the new pack shape files [Gokou]
    Fix the team names to show up at the end instead of “defenders” and “attackers” [BugsPray]

>
    <

Technical Issues:
    [email protected] (BUG REPORTS ONLY PLEASE)
    Server files available upon request ONLY.

Forums: PENDING
  • Nice to see you guys working on this again.

I played some GTW PUGs back when the MaxOGC server first went up. It is an excellent mod with some amazing maps.

Also, I beat BugsPray (greatest T2 dueler of all time) in a duel in GTW (sorta, and it pisses him off when I talk about it).
  • Depending on how my schedule works out tonight, I would be up for a pickup game later tonight, if anyone is interested

I could try getting some friends to come around, too.
  • FYI guys the MaxOGC server is unlimited players so depending on how many show up will depend on if I expand it or not. I'm gonna put an announcement out for this. Lets do it tonight!

GokouZWAR
  • edited January 2009
    Any chance of you releasing an open source code version?
    It would be nice to maybe let people mod or add to it in the future.
  • This is kind of odd timing since I re-registered www.gtwar.net just yesterday. Will update the site soon, or I can just give Gokou the FTP info if he lost it from before. :)

Also, teratos is a dirty liar.

P.S.- You should know how to get ahold of me gokou. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    P.S.- You should know how to get ahold of me gokou. ;)

Actually I don't know! But I've fixed most of the bugs so you should come join us for our pickups! I also recorded a new demo last night. So maybe we'll have a better video for youTube.

I found a 1987 @ yahoo but i got a mail deamon from it. I also shortened that address in here for privacy purposes.

GokouZWAR