trying to run a local lan server to test a mod

edited August 2009 in Support
I get this error trying to run a local lan server to test a mod. I also get and error when trying to run a dedicated server for the mod. Something about Ip /port configuration. I am gonna try the override.cs to see if it helps. I know in the past with Tribes 2 (I have the original CD and Key) I never had this happen. Forgot to mention as long as I have an Internet connection the lan server -offline works. The -dedicated does not work in either case. If you need more info I would be more than happy to provide it.

Comments

• @ Freejack:

Have you trying port forwarding? That's usually what an ip/port configuration error is about.
  • Split off, because unless you're on an ISP that's intercepting traffic in certain ways, override.cs is completely useless to you.

Read the countless posts on port forwarding.
  • edited August 2009
    Ok let me give you the scoop here. I know what I am doing. I setup networks for a living. Ports forwarded or not I get the same response. No firewall on the machine or anything. Now Since I get no error just a no response and server restart and all ports are open forwarded it makes no sense. To top it off I get errors trying to run an -nologin setup when I have no internet connection but, if I have an internet connection it runs with no error. Tells me the coding for the new network authentication is not allowing for no check. All I am trying to do is find a solution.
  • edited August 2009
    Since you mention a connection problem, the likely source of the UEs are in DNS resolution failure -- not a video card driver issue. There are a few places where this could be happening...

1) Account server IP lookup (queries tribesnext.com)
    2) Account server connection (this is usually specified by IP though, so no DNS lookup)
    3) IRC server connection (queries irc.arloria.net)
    4) Latest news download (queries tribesnext.com, I think)
    5) List of online servers (queries master.tribesnext.com)
    6) Local WAN IP lookup (queries tribesnext.com)

Since you're running in "offline" mode, presumably the account server code is never initialized -- I know for sure that #2 won't occur unless you retrieve an online account, or open the account creation wizard. I don't think #1, #3, or #5 occur, but, someone should double check. I have no idea about #4. I think #6 might execute regardless.

#6 is necessary to prevent active replay attacks of your account challenges in online mode, but is unnecessary in offline mode. I don't remember adding a $playingOnline check to that particular code, so that TCP code might be the source of your problems.
    It's something I'll look into for RC3.

.::Edit::.
    After some poking around the T2CSRI scripts, it looks like #1, #4, #5, and #6 are all called during the game startup or shortly thereafter.
  • So no way around it.
  • If you're only playing/testing offline, you could either disable the T2CSRI scripts by renaming/moving the T2CSRI.vl2 file, or use a second installation of T2 that doesn't have the TribesNext patch installed.
  • Ok let me give you the scoop here. I know what I am doing. I setup networks for a living. Ports forwarded or not I get the same response. No firewall on the machine or anything. Now Since I get no error just a no response and server restart and all ports are open forwarded it makes no sense.
    What this response tells you, specifically, is that you are able to send the outbound TCP connection to the master server to ask to be queried, but your server is not responding to a UDP query for information on the port given. Meaning that even if it were added to the list in this state, it would be utterly useless to you or anyone else.
    If ispawn closes the server afterwards, you've either got a mixup in your prefs and shortcut, or the server isn't replying to local info requests.

ispawn.exe 28000 Tribes2.exe -dedicated -mod Classic
    $Host::Port = 28000;

To top it off I get errors trying to run an -nologin setup when I have no internet connection but, if I have an internet connection it runs with no error.

This is an oversight on my part, by way of neglecting to do a check to see if you're playing in online mode before initiating the listing script, and forgetting to check it with internet disabled. It has been fixed in the next patch, but in the mean time if you need to play in LAN mode with no connection I'd recommend disabling base\T2csri.vl2 temporarily as Turkeh mentioned.
  • Thank you Krash, that answers what I need. I am not sure where the ports would differ I set them both in base prefs and IS prefs (the mod). I will look again. I have disabled the script for now to test the mod locally.