Hosting a server [SOLVED]

I'm trying to host a server and it all starts up and loads everything, it gets to "starting mission countdown..." and then it says:
- Your server could not be contacted.
- Check your IP / port configuration.

I have applied the TribesNext patch, but is there something else I have to do to get it to work?

I am running the server on a linux box, I tried the windows dedicated server using WINE and I got the same message. I don't think this is a problem with the fact that I'm using linux.. but maybe certain ports are blocked?
thanks for any help you might offer.

Comments

• yes, make sure you have port forwarded correctly. If you have forwarded a port, type this into your console: SetNetPort(Port#);. Then restart your server.
  • The only time the server will return this error is if it's entirely impossible to retrieve any data from your server (or if it times out - but you're not running 28.8k are you? :p). This means that the port it's trying to query from isn't accessible, or is in use by something else.
  • I have a very fast connection. I'm really not very knowledgeable in this area so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a blocked port.

I typed this to try and open the port:
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 28000 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

I got that from a website it was talking about port 433 i think, I just changed the number.
    I then restarted the server and the problem persisted. I did the command you suggested but I didn't think it would change anything because I have port 28000 in my server prefs file.

Is that not the correct way to open the port? I'll look it up some more. Thanks for the help so far.
  • Problem solved!
    There was a little more to it than I thought. But I found this great page, told me exactly how to do it for my router.
    Thanks for your time
  • what site did you find to help you setup your server. I am new to hosting a server also, but I have 2 other computers that can run the load that I'm not useing. I would like to also try an host a T2 server but am very new to it. If you could link the paged that help you maybe I can get some use out of it.

thanks