Tribes 2 rising from the ashes (The Phoenix Project)

Well, that is what I am going to name it. We need to find a way to let people know that this game is still alive. We need to do whatever we can to draw new players into the game. We need to do whatever it takes to help this game rise to new heights again. That means making videos and getting them out there on you-tube and other locations. We need to advertise we need to be posting on twitter and face-book and what ever other places you can think of. We need to create a tribes-next face-book page. We need to find out what are the talents of the players we do have and use it. Making wallpaper, Videos, Training videos, or whatever else you all can think of. Maybe even gets some competitions going on. Its not good having only one server that is filled with players we should have many to choose from. We need to let everyone know this game is free to download and is one hell of a fun game to play. If we don't start doing something soon this game is going to be a dead duck.

Just my 2 cents

Comments

• When I find a good deal on a bundle of CDRs of 25 or so I'm going to burn and distribute Tribes 2 and the link to TribesNext so they can patch and play online . If every one that plays would just burn one or 2 copies and give them out I think we would start seeing a difference
  • That sounds like a good idea. Its a start. We need allot of new blood in here and we need to find ways of getting the old blood to return to the game.
  • You could try contacting Best Buy or something - or even just a small local shop - and giving a bunch of CDs to them. Maybe they'd be willing to have a little place on some counter for free Tribes 2 CDs. I think you can pay Kinkos or some place like that to mass produce burned CDs for you, so you don't have to spend hours/days burning a bunch of copies yourself.

Make sure you put everything anyone would need on the CD:
    * The 500mb T2 install
    * The latest TribesNext patch
    * The TWL map packs
    * An HTML readme with brief instructions and links to helpful websites:
    * www.tribesnext.com
    * www.tribaloutpost.com
    * www.teamwarfare.com
    * www.chaingunned.org/sling
    * www.tribes2wiki.com
    * Include parts of the forum FAQs into the HTML file

But I stress again to make sure EVERYTHING people need is on the CD. No one is going to track down the patch or anything for themselves, and most probably won't want to visit any website to get support either.
  • edited December 2009
    Although embedding the R vs IA classic match youtube video on the TN homepage only takes a few minutes,

They refuse to do it.

That's the one thing that'll attract more players than anything else.
  • i couldnt agree more, and kryand thats actually a really good idea, my good friend works at best buy and i bet he could put up a shelve with T2 cd's.. im going to try that :)
  • Make sure you put everything anyone would need on the CD:
    * The 500mb T2 install
    * The latest TribesNext patch
    * The TWL map packs
    * An HTML readme with brief instructions and links to helpful websites:

Instead of putting the T2 install file on the CD, would it be possible to just put a copy of the already installed and patched game in on the CD? All you'd have to do from there is tell them to paste that folder on their C:/ drive or whatever, include a shortcut, and that should give them a good working copy of tribes 2 if I'm correct.

You could even add in any map packs or scripts right in the pre-installed copy so that they wouldn't have to do it themselves and could start playing right away.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah I think that would work. But I also think A) copy/pasting huge directories is more intimidating to and average person than running a couple install files, and B) there was some legal concern with distributing TribesNext as anything but an installer. Of course, now that GG owns the Tribes IP, that's probably not a big deal, since I highly doubt they would do anything frivolous like get angry about how their game is being distributed.

I made this readme as an example: http://www.chaingunned.org/downloads/tribes2/general/README.html
    Someone else can make a better style-sheet for it and re-host it. I was only concerned with the content.

Also, it would help to give the CD some sort of Autorun functionality, so that people don't get confused when they put in the CD and nothing happens. Believe it or not, some people would never think to open the CD manually. Of course you could also try printing instructions to do that right onto the CD.
  • Actually I think it would be counter productive to post "match" footage. Heck I doubt they would understand what they were seeing. Would probably be a better idea to do something like tf2's "meet the X". If someone runs across a video like that with a position that appeals to them they are more likely to take a peek. Thats my opinion at least.

Honestly it shouldn't be too hard to bring in new blood...The price is right and its how the orginal tribes became popular. The two biggest issues I can think of are the steep learning curve and the natural hostility of the average tribes player. Both of those things would deter new players.
  • Having some sort of gameplay footage would definitely help, but yeah I agree that a shoutcast of a top match might not be the best choice. It would definitely be better than some random MA video. However I think the best video would be something like Travel. Either way, the fact that there isn't so much as a screenshot of Tribes 2 on this whole website isn't going to win it any points for the average person looking around for a free game to play.
  • Well I think we are going to have a tougher time if we go too simple with the approach. The graphics are very outdated and these days graphics are all important. So whatever gets done to draw people in needs to have personality.
  • get it on all those free FPS sites out there, tribes is there sometimes but not t2.

make a youtube video named "top 5 free online fps" and just do t2 from 5-1.. those vids have many hits.
  • edited December 2009
    I don't think if person who can't open CD manually will play Tribes - cause it doesn't have shaddered fuckerred graphics...

The target of promotion is NOT people who're intrested in nowadays games witch are good for max one month, then you forgot it, and they have shitty single and multiplayer - like MW2.

The target is people witch know what is teamplay, and know what is decent online gaming. So I think, people witch have contact with online games in "golden era" 1999 - 2005.

Promotion with video? Ok, MA fragmovies aren't perfect solution. Video shoud show the major adventages of Tribes: teamplay, 3D gamespace - not flat like in other fps, teamplay and that the TRIBES aren't easy game for idiots.

This movie got one good aspect - the text: "orher games are too easy":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzAzUlXdQ4

This movie got good aspect too - showing part of a teamplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2tGbQR3ys

These can be inspiration, and ofc movie Tribes 2: yavor - Now we are free witch shows comparison. Now UT and Q3 ain't so recognizeble so theres a place for something new - eg. comparison between "tactical" fps and Tribes.

I would also add that I think the major problem is that this game is too clomplicated and not n00b friendly. Firstly we've got to install it, patch it, etc. Then try to figure out how to move, and how to change weapons. First of all we must think how make begginings more easy. Hmm, YT basic movie?

Thats all from me, now i go sleep.
  • would help if they bring back the browser too.

cough
  • Well see you just pointed out the difficulty with keeping tribes alive in the first place. We wanted the "gamers" and we shunned everyone that wasn't one. The problem being that doesn't give enough numbers to keep a game alive. We NEED the majority in here...We need them to get past the hostility and learning curve to find a good game here. Now the question is how?

BTW those videos aren't bad, but I think to draw people in we need them shorter and more action packed. Again just my humble opinion.
  • edited December 2009
    There are answers to all these issues. If we all put our minds together and our talents, there is nothing we cant accomplish. The right kind of videos can be found or made. For me tribes is all about the game play and the teamwork. Yes the graphics may be aging, but the game still has much going for it. How to videos could be made to teach the noobs what to do. Even some of us old players, that have been away from tribes for a while might learn something from them. I know my game play is not what it use to be. I know there are people out there good with doing video. We could make arrangements to meet on certain server for the purpose of making the videos that are needed. Others here may be good a graphics and could make some kick a** wallpaper. We do have one very big advantage here - The game is free - it cost you nothing to try it and if you play it, you might find out you like it. We all where once noobs - What made you fall in love with playing this game - let others know why this game is so much fun to play and do what you can to bring this game back to its glory days. If we all get together there is nothing we cant do.

My 2 cents.
  • Earlier I was looking through my closet and found a case with 26 52x CDRs . So as soon as I can get a good configuration together I'm going to start burning . After I burn them I will print out detailed instructions , take the paper down to office max and make copies for each cd . I'll let you know what I came up with to see what you guys think . You guys can let me know if I should add any thing or whatever .
  • and when the final cd copy is ready, someone send me one cause i have thousands of empty CDR's and can distribute them throughout my town.

im excited :)
  • Why are there no good leet capping videos in T2?

Was it because back-to-back and otherwise super awesome routes and stuff were considered 'trade secrets' during the T2 competition heyday era, or what? Even the TWL demo archive seems comparably light on recordings from a capper's POV related to other roles, or then I just fail at searching.
  • edited December 2009
    T2 didn't have a lot of leet cappers. Capping wasn't a very involved position until Lonzo came around and brought his amazing routes into the picture. No one seems to know where Lonzo's demos went from when he was on Little Rascals (except for a couple). I haven't looked at the demo archive recently, but I think there should be about 3 Lonzo demos on there and at least 1 Nevares demo (Nevares is the capper who took over for Lonzo when Lonzo went AWOL).

In short I think you are probably right. When Lonzo was around, they wanted to keep his routes under wraps, because 90% of being a good capper is simply knowing good routes.

Nevares and I are going to be working on an in-depth capping instructional video soon, but we are both really lazy so progress is going slow.
  • T2 needs more noob-friendly mods.
  • edited December 2009
    Ok I'm going to install a fresh dir patched . I'm also installing TWL2 Map Pack (v2.0)
    Second TWL Tribes 2 Map Pack for use in CTF competition. Also contains the Dynamix Final Map Pack . On the instruction paper I will tell them how to drag and drop the game folder to C:drive and to drag and drop short cuts to desktop . Instead of putting all the links in a notepad that they would have to copy and paste I'm going to make IE shortcut links they can click off the cd . Can you guys think of any thing else besides instructions for registering with TribesNext I could add to the game .
  • TWL map pack and TWL2 map pack are different, you need both.
  • What about xpack2 ? or other ones or should I just keep it at twl 1/2 ?

There are some things here:
    http://dl.rawr32.net/
  • Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on this game for any reason other than to try and buy the IP for themselves?
    I don't think anyone uses any client-side map packs except TWL/TWL2. Most of the X-pack maps are in the TWL packs somewhere. You can stick anything on there that comes to mind, but the T2 install + patch + TWL + TWL2 is going to take up like 620mb, so I don't know how much space that's leaves on a CD. (CD's claim to fit 750mb, but that usually always a massive over-estimate). You could try throwing some skins on there, or support.vl2. Do not put PJ scripts on there, that will just anger people and make them crash a lot.
  • Anybody got experiece with drowing in tottaly new player?
  • i drown nubs on a daily basis
  • I think we need to have a videos page on this site so those who come can see what the game is all about. They can be embedded videos from youtube. There are plenty of good ones out there and here is a listing of a few.

Tribes 2 Offical Game Play Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3Ftt07mDQ

Tribes 2 Introduction
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6j16ilUK0&feature=related

Tribes 2: yavor - Now we are free
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-mEvbj404&feature=related

Tribes 2: DOF - The DOFMies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuDH5dTGpQ&feature=fvw

Tribes 2 Classic |R| vs -IA- on Surreal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjM6KOm8ZE&feature=related

Tribes 2 - Automatic X - Mortar Madness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY1cuqCQk5c

3w.Goofy "teh ug movie" Tribes 2 Classic Movie 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfXrq41EQI

Tribes 2 - inflow - Tribes Next
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wgwwpbh91Q

We also need to make some more that show newbies how to play. We could make others with voice overs that kind of make it like a movie. We could make them funny or serious. Something that makes them laugh, something that makes them think ( I want to play this game it looks like fun). I know there are people out there with the skills to do these videos. And we could all have fun making them and get listed in the credits of the video.

Just my 2 cents.
  • For long time I've had an idea in my head for a movie that encompasses a Tribes 2 ladder match. It would be like a sports movie, except Tribes 2. The match should be staged to make it look as intense as possible, with all three map lasting a long time and leading to a very close finish (you know how it goes). It would have voice acting that would basically be the players on Ventrilo talking as they normally would if it was a real match, and maybe a shout-caster as well. In between the maps of the real match I'd also like to include "flashbacks" to other things in Tribes 2. I haven't tried to put anything serious in motion, because this is obviously going to require a whole lot of planning and a whole lot of work. I already have enough unfinished projects that I'm not working on.