Do you ever shoot yourself?

A ridiculous question, the answer's no. But I do occasionally, it helps when there's a flag in the open so I can sacrifice health for speed. I've tried it twice so far, each time I got a good distance from the enemy base then died, to have an ally finish the job for me. Am I just being really, really stupid, or do you think this is actually a useful tactic?

Comments

• Disc-jumping has been a critically important move since T1.
  • I guess I have a lot to learn, then. I'm not exactly doing it very effectively, I usually take a whole lot of damage and go a bit too far up making me think that this move wasn't very effective. I just wanted to know if this was very common, but I didn't think it would be "critically important".
  • It takes some practice to get the most out of your disc-jumps, but it's definitely something you should be comfortable doing at a moments notice any time you want a boost. Cappers do it all the time if they have health to spare. Chasers do it all the time to catch up with cappers. Heavies do it all the time, especially with shield pack - disc-jumping with shield pack in heavy and never jetting will almost always get you to the enemy base with more health/energy/speed than trying to use heavy energy pack to get there. If you are not going very fast, you'll need to turn around and shoot the disc behind you, or else you'll just take a lot of damage and get launched into the air rather than forward.
  • Thanks for the tips, I'll try it out again tomorrow. I also need to work on my jetpack management, my strategy was sneaking in with a cloak pack and snatching the flag with a disc jump. I was at about 3/4 energy, not very good, and I ended up using it all at the start of the jump. Practice makes perfect. Man I love this game.
  • A ridiculous question, the answer's no. But I do occasionally, it helps when there's a flag in the open so I can sacrifice health for speed. I've tried it twice so far, each time I got a good distance from the enemy base then died, to have an ally finish the job for me. Am I just being really, really stupid, or do you think this is actually a useful tactic?

Disc Jumping is useful certainly when capping a flag. I can't really comment on using it for Heavies such that I am a terrible heavy player in classic.But what I can say is If you have an open flag without an HOF or simply enemy defense is somewhat minimal, by all means, use disc jumping. I myself, being a fairly decent capper, use it all the time. If you can master getting the flag, then the second task is to master moving as fast as possible away from chasers and snipers and disc jumping will get you as fast as you can go.
    In essence, its all about timing and some luck ;)
  • Starkiller this might be just my opinion but NEVER grab the flag with a cloak pack. It serves absolutely no purpose. I get it...cloaks can be fun. I see a lot of people using cloaks these days...But capping+cloak=no. Reason being is once you grab that flag the cloak pack does nothing for you. You may as well be naked. Shield, energy, or heck even a sensor jammer would be an infinitely better choice.
  • Starkiller this might be just my opinion but NEVER grab the flag with a cloak pack. It serves absolutely no purpose. I get it...cloaks can be fun. I see a lot of people using cloaks these days...But capping+cloak=no. Reason being is once you grab that flag the cloak pack does nothing for you. You may as well be naked. Shield, energy, or heck even a sensor jammer would be an infinitely better choice.
    Well I'll try out other packs, probably the energy pack is my best bet. Once I get the flag cloak's useless anyway. :(
    When you shoot don't stick to the ground ,be a little bit above the ground ,that works for me.
    Sounds good. 8)
  • You should practice it, it becomes very usefull in some times.
    Examples:
    To chase a enemy flag carrier.
    After you grab the enemy flag, i do a disc jump (not a llama grab ;D) so i can grab more speed and height, making it more difficult for the enemy to kill me (unless they got snipers, that pisses me off >:()
    Learn to do the timing when you use it, it can become usefull.
    Hope this helps you ;D
  • edited December 2009
    After you grab the enemy flag
    Before grab is more pro.

and btw - respawning after suiciding with weapon is quicker than ctrl+k - i shoot myself constantly
  • and btw - respawning after suiciding with weapon is quicker than ctrl+k - i shoot myself constantly
    only in awful mods that people shouldn't be discjumping in
  • After a little practice, I've made myself look like an idiot many times. ??? Once I killed myself by shooting myself with a disc and landing on a mine right by the flag. How bad I looked, I pretty much killed myself for them. ;D
  • My preferred method of spectacular failure is to try a disc-jump for speed boost, except that the enemy defense has just hit me with a disc roughly a nanosecond before I manage to pull it off, thus me ending up splattering myself all over the terrain :-\.
  • My preferred method of spectacular failure is to try a disc-jump for speed boost, except that the enemy defense has just hit me with a disc roughly a nanosecond before I manage to pull it off, thus me ending up splattering myself all over the terrain :-\.
    happens to me sometimes too ;D
  • There's also other reasons to shoot yourself (even if you're not Demoncard). A good one that I can think of is if you have someone raping your base. If you're not going to survive very long in the fight (especially if mortars are being spammed) take a blaster to the chest once to use up your healthpack and THEN you can go in and dink his armor a little bit. Nothing says Christmas quite like running over a ton of corpses loaded with healthpacks.
  • I often used disc jumping back in the day, as well as rocket jumping as a Heavy (you take more damage, but in my opinion go much further). However, I never used it to the extent described in this thread as I have a preference for very light, fast armors with plenty of energy.
  • I often used disc jumping back in the day, as well as rocket jumping as a Heavy (you take more damage, but in my opinion go much further). However, I never used it to the extent described in this thread as I have a preference for very light, fast armors with plenty of energy.

Maybe I'm losing my memory, but so far as I know you can not fire a rocket without a lock....
  • He's probably referring to mortar jumping, which you could do in Tribes 1.

Pity you can't do it in T2, would make Blastside and some other maps actually fun to play.
  • edited January 2010
    Yikes, mortar jumping? Shield pack included I hope.
  • tip: when you are gonna grab flag shoot at it to kill mines and AFTER you grab the flag do a disc jump again,if there is a HoF just use grenade launcher,he will pull a bit back opening your way to the flag,and the grenade launcher will also kill the mines
  • A ridiculous question, the answer's no. But I do occasionally, it helps when there's a flag in the open so I can sacrifice health for speed. I've tried it twice so far, each time I got a good distance from the enemy base then died, to have an ally finish the job for me. Am I just being really, really stupid, or do you think this is actually a useful tactic?
    really handy tatic dude.snd if you throwe it it goes even farver