Juggernaut tips?

I've been playing T2 for about 6 months, and I've always been in scout armor. I've been having plenty of fun with it, even as only an average player, but there are some situations that scouts just aren't effective in. I figured I'd try going heavy for a change, but I got completely clobbered. I'm running around, trying to jet avoid blaster shots while sheilding to stop everything else. So I'm seeing heavys going at crazy speeds right into my base, and I tried to do that, but I never have enough jetpack energy to ski effectively to maintain my speed. I think I've been spoiled by light armor with an energy pack. I take away the energy pack, and I'm all helpless as a scout when dueling with someone or trying to cap (usually when there're 30000 turrets deployed around the flag, need a sensor jammer). You'd think that my problems would go away if I was inside, but no - once I finally get in I've been hammered bad, and people are spawning in there killing me with their blasters.

Any tips on Hof?

Comments

• The famous Juggernaut, in groups its a lethal offense to the enemy base... but to do the job you need several skills that you learn by practice methods.
    The most basic skill you need is to learn how to conservate energy and to skii with the Juggernaut the best you can.
    Route learning or to create one for yourself for the map you want is the most effective thing you can do for getting to the enemy base as fast as possible.
    The next step is that you learn how to camp on the base, that includes shield pack experience + indoor tactics to kill the enemy in spawn armor or when there is a Juggernaut protecting the generator/entrace of the base. Avoiding to get blastered to death is very hard, the best you can do is to move alot and kill the enemmy as fast as possible.

A little guide of the Juggernaut ::)
  • The famous Juggernaut, LAN centers need ACs.
  • The big thing to remember is to keep moving. At the same time, you have to conserve your energy. I've noticed the more juggernauts move around while firing they just get more and more intimidating. Unless someone's sneaking around with a lance or you're outnumbered, if you can keep the intimidation by sidestepping and jumping effectively, as well as knowing when and when not to shield, the juggernaut can be a force to be reckoned with.
  • edited February 2010
    The first & biggest thing to learn as a fatty is how to get to your target as fast & efficiently as possible. This is really the most important part for someone starting out, because as a heavy any time you're not raping their base or spamming their flag defense, you're essentially doing nothing at all.
    The less time you spend traveling the more time you have for making runs and fucking their shit up. if you have trouble figuring out how to get around well, I suggest you go look at some HO demos for popular maps, or even just observe whatever "good" HO that happens to be around in the current game to see the kind of routes they take to get around to their targets.
    And other than regular demos(anything by Snipah, Hawson or Julius will be awesome, tho those are mostly for comp maps), Julius released some HO HO routes, and again, although they're mostly for TWL maps, there's a few there that are also in the GH rotation (Starfallen/Titan/Dangerous Cro... oh wait no).

Second, unless the map is very hilly or one where you otherwise need more maneuverability, you can usually get around faster with a shield pack + disc-jumping than in an e-pack. Turn around and shoot a disc behind you to get going, then once you pick up some speed just look straight down & fire to keep going.
    Shield also offers you the bonus of vastly improved survivability, though with the amount of players on GH playing outdoor shielding on many maps doesn't really pay off in the same manner as it does in comp games, so you might want to stick to indoor base raping if you're playing that.

For indoors, the key thing to learn is how to use walls/the base layout to shield you as much as possible. Toss mortars/nades around corners to kill incoming people, or drop a mortar at your feet and run past a corner/drop down an elevation to eliminate someone charging at you, while being yourself safe from the explosion. Sometimes it's better to mainly camp a single spot, sometimes it's better to keep actively moving and cornerspam. Call it as you see it. Watch your shield and turn it off whenever no one is around or even just between weapon shots if they're only using a slow-reloading weapon like the disc.

For outdoors, I don't know what much else to say than being GOOD with the chaingun is a must or any light will own your ass shield or not. If you're shielding keep to a favorable location like a hilltop and do long-distance spam (use waypoints/rangefinder), if you're epacking, keep moving at all times and get good at hitting your marks while moving with speed. Good skiing skills will help a lot.

Lastly, don't forget your hand grenades( and mines). As a heavy, you get a whopping 8 of them, remember you can also toss them at the same time as you're firing your main weapon, which is good for additional DPS (get some damage in on those blaster spammers while switching weapons if you're caught red-handed and your mortar is reloading :/), also work great for some additional dueling firepower / "anti-air" explosives against lights outdoors. Flares are for pussies and never really needed unless you're epacking outdoors on some gay super mountain map or something.

Also, if you hit them right, one mortar+mine+nade will disable a generator in a single round.

Welcome to the pointwhore club, we hope you enjoy your stay.
  • Since I had trouble getting around heavy, I tried going middle-ground as medium (Bastard-style). I did better, but heavily relied on disc-jumping to avoid the angry defenders. I got completely pwned when I went indoors so... need a shield and mortar for that I think. :P
    It was hard to defend myself since I'm used to jetting around, I found myself running away a lot. I think going heavy is very different in that respect, since I'm supposed to go head-on into their base.
    Maneuverability-wise though, I'm starting to get better with it. Next time I go online, I'm going to alternate from HD to HO. (might be a week or so, gonna be really busy this week. :()
    I suppose the key is practice - to know the routes I've just gotta try them out first hand. Could take some time.
    PS - hurrr, thanks for those demo links, but my game seems to have problems. 60% of the time when I try to play a DLed demo, it gives me an unhandled exception. It even happened in-game once. It's SO annoying. :(
  • Yeah, when you play heavy you should generally just ignore people who're shooting at you in midfield and go for your objective. Never bother stopping unless they manage knock you off your route.

If you're playing medium shield rape, you should just use a shrike & crash straight into the base entrance (think maps like Circle of Stones, Slapdash, or Fallacy of Epiphany with tower generator bases), no point wasting time sking around.

For the demos, you need the TWL 1 & TWL 2 mappacks if you don't have them to play back most of those demos (even some of the "non-TWL" maps). Some of the older ones might use other mappacks too. If it still doesn't work I'd suggest making a clean install of T2 without scripts and stuff that you only use for demo playback.

You might want to load some of the maps just in offline mode without anyone disturbing you and try to check out/practice ways to get to the enemy base.
    I'd suggest starting with some easy ski maps - Raindance, Vauban, Moondance, Circle of Stones, Logan's Run, maybe Sub-Zero too, for example are all mostly flat and very fast & easy to ski with SP+disc. Just practice making a fast & clean entrance into the enemy base through whatever hole(s) that is available while retaining as much shield energy as possible.

Also, in case you don't have it yet, get a rangefinder HUD for the mortar. It's will make your life that much easier.
  • If you want to take your game to the next level come hang out in #lastgasp on irc.tribalwar.com
  • Also, in case you don't have it yet, get a rangefinder HUD for the mortar. It's will make your life that much easier.

Here is my 2 cents:

This one is my favorite:
    http://www.chaingunned.org/sling/Ilys_Scripts/zZ_classic_oldKrets_Digital.vl2
  • na

just ski around and mortar spam like everyone else!

spam mortar, leave area, spam mortar, leave area, its simple!

(ps do this over and over again on every map!)
  • hof: use mine+disc to stop cappers. usually i back away from the flag about a foot and then mine disc the flag when they get there. this bounces you backwards but its a clean kill.
  • AIDS water