Tired of GroundBound shooters, etc.

I can't, for the life of me, get into any of the latest shooters, because, in every damn one of them, you're stuck running around. No jetpacks, no grappling hooks, nothing. How disgustingly boring.

To add to the problem it seems like all the latest shooters with a decent budget are all based on the past or the present. No big-budget, futuristic shooters. The thing is, shooters based on reality all mimic each other with the same 'real world' weapons. Nothing is fresh and nothing is new. It's all crap you've seen before at least once, but more likely a dozen times. Futuristic shooters almost always introduce completely different guns, grenades, weapon mechanics, etc. and are thus more fresh and interesting than real-world games.

I would be happy if every 5 years we got just one shooter of the following qualifications:

-big-budget
-not groundbound
-has multi-user vehicles
-has great net code
-is on the PC(not only on consoles)
-is as futuristic as tribes/halo/etc
  • 2006cbr1000rr.jpg

Comments

• ditto times infinity. you said it.
  • That's like all Halo: Reach. Minus the PC part.
  • wow robert seems like you have a whole idea layout here.

and any game that is like halo, I'm not buyin it. But would be cool to see the Tribes influence more in other newer games.

and any game that is like halo, I'm not buyin it. But would be cool to see the Tribes influence more in other newer games.
    Have you seen videos for Halo: Reach? It has jetpacks.

Have you seen videos for Halo: Reach? It has jetpacks.
    Jetpacks for Halo = win.
  • It's probably terrible, just like every past iteration of Halo.
  • GroundBound shooters? Ahaha, I like the sound of that. It sounds so center of the bell-curve.

I dream of a day when a game like Tribes 2 will steal the spotlight and be named King of shooters, spawning a new era of FPS glory much like how modern shooterss try to be ultra-realistic after seeing what MW2 did.

Except it'll be an era of originality, creativity, and intense action that isn't necessarily just a game, but rather a venue that players are granted the freedom to bring themselves into a virtual world of infinite possibilities and challenge. An extension of their personalities, if you will, that allows them to explore and discover themselves in ways that they otherwise wouldn't.

At least that's what I see in Tribes 2. There's just so much freedom of personality in it. Whereas in Counter-Strike all you do is run, walk, hop, and hit-scan the same pixels over and over again and hearing that monotonous voice saying "Counter-terrorists win" - in T2 I'll see an unfamiliar in-game name for a few seconds, then notice the way they move, their banter, their actions, and think, "Ha! It's him."

Too bad those millions of halo kiddies who are obsessed with shiny graphics will never get a taste of the this glory. But then again, was Tribes 2 made for people from the center of the bell-curve in the first place?
  • Halo did a lot of things right for console gaming. Based against PC counterparts, it has nothing. For some reason a lot of console players consider console gaming superior, and refuse to touch a PC. Also, most of them are too dumb to install a game, let alone download a game like Tribes 2 and have to install a community custom patch. I don't think their brains would be able to handle it.
  • Halo only got popular because it was one of the first online console games, and the first online console FPS - and no I am not counting any of the old systems with the stupid online attachments that no one used. Not to mention it was a launch title for the premiere Microsoft game console. Then it stayed popular because it was so easy to pick up and play without having any gaming talent whatsoever.

It didn't do "a lot of things right". Bungie got lucky, period. The X-Box did a lot of things right; Halo was just along for the ride.
  • It had vehicles. There's still a lot of shooters with no vehicles.
    It had 8v8 matches, pretty big for the time.
    It had a great chat system. You could talk to your whole team, and even talk to or listen to enemies in your vicinity.
    It let you send voice messages to friends and clan members.
    It made it easy for you to join a group of friends and find a match together.
    It had 4 player split screen online play.
    Custom matches let your friends and their friends jump in and out very fast.
    The loading was fast, pretty much when you loaded your first map you never loaded again.

It was a blast to play online on consoles. Sure compare it to PC and it doesn't stack up. But for the longest time other console games didn't do any of that stuff.
  • The only thing on that list that wasn't a feature of the X-Box itself is the vehicles, and they really aren't that big of a deal.
  • How did this turn into a halo thread? lol I have to admit that Halo was a decent console shooter, but it by no means came close to comparing to PC shooters such as Tribes. I only mentioned halo to give you an idea of how futuristic I like my games to be (AKA: I don't want some 'future soldier' game that only takes place 10-20 years in the future like Crysis.)

That reminds me. Wouldn't it be awesome to play Tribes 2 or something very much like it except with the CryEngine 3?
  • That reminds me. Wouldn't it be awesome to play Tribes 2 or something very much like it except with the CryEngine 3?
    THe one thing I loved about the CryEngine was its terraformming editor. It made caves and shit just by 'cutting' into the mountain. epic.
  • That reminds me. Wouldn't it be awesome to play Tribes 2 or something very much like it except with the CryEngine 3?
    THe one thing I loved about the CryEngine was its terraformming editor. It made caves and shit just by 'cutting' into the mountain. epic.
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1977.0
    http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=1977.0
    Also epic. and win.
  • On the same Halo note.
    Check out Halo: Reach review by LTA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVI6SfwTGA

At 2:07 they mention Tribes! Epic Win!
  • I was going to preach about shattered horizon in this thread, but I just realized I forgot about it for the past 4 months. That and it misses like 4 of the points in the OP
  • I was going to preach about shattered horizon in this thread, but I just realized I forgot about it for the past 4 months. That and it misses like 4 of the points in the OP

Shattered Horizon looks cool, but it's vista/7 only... Perhaps when I find time to switch to windows 7 I'll try it. I hate Microsoft not allowing DX10 in XP. It's been done with third party software, so MS saying they can't is complete bull.
  • I don't get that Project Rise...I only saw a couple screen shots. You can't judge a game by a few screen shots.
  • From what I've heard, shattered horrizion is a horrible game that wishes it was a hundredth as good as tribes.
  • Oh I've heard of that game. How can you play with only 1 weapon. Aren't there like 1 or 2 maps only too?