New Tribes game on the way

Tribes Universe

Done by the Global Agenda people (Hirez Studios)

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=27767

Comments

• I can't view the forum without registering. I tried to register under my spam email account and it says invalid email. Sounds like a fail game already.
  • "SHAZBOT

Here is a brief update on what’s been happening at HiRez Studios.

Those of you that have been playing Global Agenda know that over the last year we have been consistently adding new features/content and releasing it at no charge to the Global Agenda community. We plan to continue doing this on an on-going basis as much as possible and over the next couple of months everyone will see new maps, raids, flair, and weapons (starting with the Halloween event next week).

As most of you know, Global Agenda is an ambitious project that incorporates many different gameplay modes (PvP, PvE, AvA, Raids, Open Zone, DA). Over time we had many requests for additional game play modes, especially larger spaces and fights. Earlier this year we released the Sonoran Desert quest zone as an area that would help players ease into the game while testing our technology limits for having large areas and many players in the same zone. Our plan for a first paid expansion was to continue on that path with Warzones which were designed as large open areas where players can PvP.

As we worked on Warzones we found too many design and programming issues to make it practical. Global Agenda was designed around 10v10 team play and there was no practical path found to scale it up in a significant way (to large scale numbers like 100 players in a single area). As a result we plan to continue releasing more Global Agenda content but only in the formats players are already familiar with. (Special Ops, Raids, Merc Missions, etc)

While we know that some players will be disappointed in the lack of warzones, we also have some good news.

We can’t transform Global Agenda to a large scale battle format but since we liked this concept a lot, we decided to create a new game based on large scale fighting. In order to develop the new game many significant steps had to be taken, including: A significant rewrite to the unreal engine servers to allow for 100+ players to be fighting in the same map, a new UI system that is more efficient, a different implementation of character visuals, a new terrain system, etc. In addition the combat gameplay required many significant changes as well.

While working through the design we kept coming back to one old and loved game that represented many of the concepts we where incorporating into the new game (Jetpacks, vehicles, large open space, three armor types, futuristic weapons, etc). Many of you will know this game as Tribes, the original on-line multiplayer shooter. As of now, HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchise.

We now have two groups in the studio, one working on continuing to build Global Agenda and a new group working on the Tribes Universe project. We are also moving to a new larger office space in another month that will help us accommodate our growth.

I’m sure many of you have questions, so here are a few quick highlights for Tribes Universe:

* Three Tribes (factions)
    * Full clan (agency) support
    * First person view (third person for some vehicles)
    * Full vehicle support (ground and air)
    * Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
    * PvP focused
    * Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
    * Large scale fights (100+ players)
    * Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing

Thanks for your support

Erez.

P.S. More information on Tribes Universe will be coming in the near future along with an Alpha/Beta registration web site."
  • edited October 2010
    http://www.globalagendagame.com/TheGame_Description.html this link
    I'm downloading the trial.
    Hmm I am downloading what they are out with now. I guess they own all of tribes now . Here is some info on the IA forums http://forums.instantaction.com/showthread.php?2117-Hi-Rez-buys-Tribes-franchise-announces-Tribes-MMO. Tribes Universe might come out 2011 ...

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/23/hi-rez-studios-announces-development-of-tribes-universe-mmo/
  • I posted this on the Global Agenda forums Re: Some questions about Tribes Universe.
    Every one who is apart of Tribes1&2 and even Starsiege has been let down over and over and.......over . If any thing at all Tribes2 players need a patch to change the height map textures from 512x512 to at least 1024x1024 . As moddable as T2 is 512x512 is locked in to the source code . Even if 1024x1024 is buggy we have people that can fix it. We don't need new textures . We just need an option that will allow us to add larger ones.
  • Not holding my breath for anything. Like you said we've been let down over and over. We were even let down when Tribes Vengeance came out. It's easy to promise a game like Tribes with 100's of players on huge maps fighting for territory control, but it has to feel like Tribes.
  • Not holding my breath for anything. Like you said we've been let down over and over. We were even let down when Tribes Vengeance came out. It's easy to promise a game like Tribes with 100's of players on huge maps fighting for territory control, but it has to feel like Tribes.

Oh I agree, but at least it's something. I really like Global Agenda at least, so who knows.
  • Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing

Common Sense: Hey guys, let's ask some of the remaining Tribes community for some input - or many encourage them to help our product by allowing them the possibility to help out during alpha/beta testing.

Tribes Universe Staff: Let's reward the Global Agenda addict who's level 50+ - I'm sure he'll want to play /another/ game and won't put it down after putting so much time into his Global Agenda character. Right? That's the way you get support folks!

I sense fail already.
  • No not really, unless you count the jetpacks and team based gameplay, but it is a quality game IMO and very fun. I'm glad to see that someone, with a knack for this sort of thing making a stab at a new tribes game. The license could have ended up in much worse hands in other words...
  • Activision is the only one I can think of.
  • Activision is the only one I can think of.
    Or Bungie.

Bungie staff: "We got the Tribes IP! Let's add in team deathmatch and battle rifles and easy-throw grenades!"
  • 100 plus players?

this is like taking the worst part about goons and making it 24/7 mandatory

and no scripting?
  • It's an MMO first and an FPS second (or possibly even further away than that). It's not trying to be Tribes 3, it's trying to be an MMO. As far as I'm concerned, it can be as similar to Tribes 1/2 as World of Warcraft is to Warcraft 1/2/3. I already had a bunch of ideas on how Tribes should work in an MMO-type world that would please literally every existing fan of Tribes as well as modern gamers in multiple genres. Let's just hope that HiRez has someone like me.
  • http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/25/global-agenda-devs-announce-new-tribes-game/
    Tribes Universe will be staging alpha testing early next year. If you’re a level 50 Global Agenda player, you’ll have first dibs on a spot in the testing program, so it might be a good idea to get levelling now if you want to increase your chances of grabbing a place. This will be the first Tribes game since Tribes: Vengeance in 2004. [glow=red,2,300]The idea of a new, bigger Tribes in Unreal Engine 3[/glow] makes me go a bit wibbly with excitement. Did you play the old games? Are you excited about the change to man a Shrike in a new Tribes title? Let us know in the comments below.

See highlighted text - this explains why this project will fail.
  • It's an MMO first and an FPS second (or possibly even further away than that)
    +1 internet
  • Even if it ends up being playable, it'll probably be more like variant mod. I'll pass.
  • What? This is U3 engined?
  • ^^^^ He's right
  • Some of you guys are so pessimist.

I dreamed of a mmo tribes game for a long time.

Anyway it can't be worse than Tribes vengeance.

It's not because it use unreal engine that it will fail but I would prefer a different engine for sure.
  • edited October 2010
    Massively: Do you think that the completion of Tribes Universe (with its focus on larger maps/more players/vehicles) will lead to the demise of Global Agenda? Clearly they're targeting the same audience, but do you think demand will still exist for the smaller 10v10 action that GA features?

Erez Goren: Tribes Universe is definitely not Global Agenda 2, and we think there will be a market for both games. Each game is built to appeal to somewhat different audiences. Global Agenda, while certainly a shooter, has a lot of features meant to appeal to the traditional MMORPG player -- PvE, leveling, small battlegrounds, loot progression, crafting, etc. Tribes Universe is likely to find its core audience much more in the harder-core FPS community, and we're building the game primarily with that audience in mind.

Following on from that, do you have specific plans to differentiate Tribes Universe and Global Agenda?

Tribes Universe is more targeted to FPS players and for much larger-scale combat. It's primarily a first person view; it's based on loadouts rather than specific classes; the scale of the battles is very large; and there is a very limited amount of PvE.

Will Tribes Universe feature any traditional MMORPG elements (leveling, gear statistics that affect gameplay, item/loot accumulation, crafting, etc.)?

Tribes Universe is not a traditional MMO. All character progression is designed to give more options in gameplay (not inherently greater player strength), levels are more for reputation, and the skill system is much more similar to a game like EVE.

You mentioned in your forum announcement that alpha testing will begin in about three months. How long has the team been working on Tribes Universe?

Just to set appropriate expectations: Our very first alpha tests early next year are going to be more about testing technology than game play -- as we need to exercise early on our changes to the Unreal Engine that allow us to support much larger-size battles.

We have been working on systems to support larger game play for a long time -- which is really one of the most critical parts in this development cycle. Many of our other systems are already in place for supporting different weapons, jetpacks, vehicles, etc.

Many Tribes franchise fans abhor Tribes: Vengeance, preferring Tribes or Tribes 2. Will Tribes Universe attempt to draw from the whole of the Tribes IP or are there specific titles that have influenced the game's development?

We'll reference aspects from all of the Starsiege and Tribes titles as it make sense. Initially we are using Tribes 2 as our primary reference base.

Do you see Tribes Universe competing with Red 5's Firefall for the MMO shooter audience? Are you concerned at all about the games being similar?

We have a lot of respect for all our competition -- especially for Red 5, which has both Tribes and Global Agenda designers in it. At the same time, Firefall seems to be a somewhat different game than what we are planning for. Tribes Universe is being designed as a successor to games like Tribes 2 and Planetside while Firefall seems to be a bit more of a traditional MMO given the PvE, loot, and other elements we have seen so far. I'm sure there is room for both games and I plan to play both.

Any plans to expand the alpha testing pool beyond the level 50 Global Agenda players?

For early testing, high-level Global Agenda players will have priority since most understand some of the mechanics we are looking to test, and many have a range of experience with many games, not just GA (including Tribes, Planetside, etc). In addition, most high-level GA players have a good relationship with and understanding of the studio, which will help us during early testing especially, when many aspects of the game will be rougher and less polished. That said, we also plan to bring in long-time Tribes, Planetside, and other FPS players to round out the group and ensure a range of perspectives that fit our target audience.

You specifically mentioned "skiing" in your initial forum post. Can you talk about the implementation of such a mechanic on an MMO scale, or with the Unreal Engine? Can we expect it to replicate the fast-paced experience of the older games or will it be slowed down a bit?

We will have skiing in Tribes Universe (we have already been testing various implementations of it). There is no issue with the Unreal Engine -- it's more about how we think it's best implemented. Speed is a critical element to test and we'll rely on play testing to help us find just the right balance and pacing.

Have you considered payment models at this stage?

We have not decided on a payment model.

Any particular time frame for late beta/release? 2011? 2012?

Ideally we would like to release the game in about a year from now, although a lot has to go right for that to happen.

Thanks very much.

http://www.massively.com/2010/10/26/massively-exclusive-hi-rez-talks-tribes-universe/

can't wait to see how they ruin this. because when I think tribes, I think leveling, 100 or more players and slow skiing.
  • I'm on the fence about what I think about it.

Part of me is stupidly optimistic and the other part is like most of you. I'm happy just to see something new with the Tribes name. The pessimistic part is mainly because they just don't make games as fun as they used to, NOT because "OMG if it's not T2 repackaged, I won't play it".

It's going to be different, get over it. Whether or not it's good, is different all together.
  • This is beginning to sound like planetside... >_>
  • wheres dave g?
  • Will trade epic +5 trushot disc launcher for an epic +5 motor of extended blast range.
  • Well at least we have Tribes2 / TribesNext forever !!
    But I don't think it would hurt if a lot of us started asking for a small patch to update the height maps from 512x512 to at least 1024x1024.
  • It's an MMO first and an FPS second (or possibly even further away than that). It's not trying to be Tribes 3, it's trying to be an MMO. As far as I'm concerned, it can be as similar to Tribes 1/2 as World of Warcraft is to Warcraft 1/2/3. I already had a bunch of ideas on how Tribes should work in an MMO-type world that would please literally every existing fan of Tribes as well as modern gamers in multiple genres. Let's just hope that HiRez has someone like me.

Let's hope not.

In any case, I've been following along, and at first glance it looks like a worthy successor. We'll have to wait and see if it delivers.

As far as the "Free 2 Play" model is concerned, I never have liked the idea that one player be afforded an advantage over another player based on how much money they've spent on the game.
  • Hi-Rez Studios: reiterating what 17 years of games have told us. You can kill that which is already dead.
  • Does anyone remember who Abstract is or why he's so angsty?

Let's hope not.

In any case, I've been following along, and at first glance it looks like a worthy successor. We'll have to wait and see if it delivers.
    How do you have to wait and see if you've really been following along? The periodically post threads saying "LOLOLOL WE ARE KILLING EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT TRIBES LOLOLOLOLOL".

Are you illiterate?
  • I played the special PRE-Closed beta preview today for about 10 minutes. It's hard for me to tell, as I simply jumped in as the default Medium loadout, but I must say it was fun. I'll have to play with the other armors to get a better feel as to what's in store.

Otherwise, so far, so good!
  • edited November 2011
    good to see ya angry let us know how it goes :):):):):):):)