How to DEPLOY TURRETS

edited November 2010 in Strategies and Guides
Hey guys, I finally made an account here... Thanks to you guys at tribesnext, and everyone who is keeping the game alive.

One of the roles I've enjoyed playing for years is turret monkey. Ya, i'm weird... I've spent some time doing it in the ladders, and I still do it when pubbing now and then. I like to think I'm pretty good at it, and I'm pretty fast.

Almost daily I see people deploying turrets who seem confused about how they work. Usually I just blow up the poorly placed turrets and replace them myself. But when people don't understand why i'm blowing up their turrets and replacing them, they get annoyed and TK me. Of course no one reads the chat, and when I try to explain to someone why his turret deployment sucks he completely misses it and continues deploying, wasting assets, and getting angry at me for trying to fix them...

There are TWO basic things that you need to understand if you want to do more than just waste your teams assets and your time deploying turrets:

1. Turrets MUST be on LEVEL SURFACES if you want them to actually hit anything - both landspikes and spiderclamps. If you place turrets on slopes THEY CANNOT AIM effectively and they will ALWAYS miss, unless some poor guy just happens to cross their line of fire by accident.

Don't believe me? Check out this video of me standing still right next to three turrets which can't hit me bacause they are deployed on a slope.

2. Turrets NEED sensors. If you are going to deploy turrets, why not make them useful and give them a decent chance of hitting enemies? Turrets already have a built in sensor that detects enemies and tells them where to shoot, but pulse sensors will significantly extend their range.

Sensors should be placed at a distance from deployable turrets (AND base turrets), so the turrets can see, aim, and kill people who would otherwise be out of range. This becomes really important when you consider fast moving targets: often an enemy is able to enter and exit a turret's default range so fast, that by the time it comes online and turns to aim the enemy is already gone. By placing sensors in the distance along routes the enemies are using, turrets come online and begin tracking the enemy while they are still out of range, ready to fire as soon as they get close enough. Once they get in range, it is already online and pointing at them, instead of just starting to power up while they fly past unharmed.

So take a few xtra seconds when deploying landspikes and spiderclamps to find that flat spot. Once you take the time to look, you'll notice most map makers have put small ledges and flat spots on the slopes around the bases - this is why. Take the time to find them so your turrets actually hit something.

And once you get some turrets out, extend their range by putting pulse sensors in the distance around your base as well at key spots like the flag...

Comments

• Also, placing them where they can cover the desired area and yet be out of the way of incoming spam so they have a chance of lasting more than a few seconds is also a good idea. Try to cover the usual in/out routes with a string of them so the capper has to run a gauntlet of turret fire!

MWUHAHAHAHA!

GLORIOUS TURRENTS OF FIRE!!!!!!
  • 1. Turrets MUST be on LEVEL SURFACES
    OMG i didn't know that, nice to know.
  • Hmmm...I'd hear rumors of this before but not seen substantiation. Thanks.
    One question: You said turrets must be on a level surface, I can understand the level horizontal effect. what bearing does level vertical have on turret accuracy? (I.E. a turret set on the exterior vertical wall of a base)
  • edited November 2010
    One question: You said turrets must be on a level surface, I can understand the level horizontal effect. what bearing does level vertical have on turret accuracy? (I.E. a turret set on the exterior vertical wall of a base)

There is another thread on this topic at goon haven's forum which answers your question...

Here are turrets on flat surfaces
  • I'm wondering how far the range of turrets is actually extended, particularly the sometimes useful most of the time not missile turret. I've seen this thing go active for a second then go back to sleep without ever firing a shot many times.

At the same time, I absolutely love when there are two base missile turrets and a few heavies around that can get at least 8 missiles off on anything that goes airborne and is remotely warm. I know, missile turrets are still easy to counter, but its just cool shit to see people frantically toss their remaining flares only to find out it just wasn't enough flares.

Any suggestions on base turret/MPB turret types to compliment each other etc while we are at it?
  • Any suggestions on base turret/MPB turret types to compliment each other etc while we are at it?

I've found that the ELF turret combined with a mortar turret takes out most things, but you can't use mortar turrets on Goons. Probably the best would be an ELF and a plasma, even if the ELF does tend to bend a bit. And mortars do tend to teamkill... In general, though, it's a good idea to use sensors to help your base turrets. People try to stay outside maximum range only to find out that there's a big green rainbow connecting them and a turret and the pot of gold is actually a decent sized explosion. And death.

I think it'd be interesting to see if a missile turret could get a lock on something behind a mountain if the sensors could see it...
  • Cameras are a Jammers worst fear.

I can walk right through any defence without them.
  • So let me get this straight, cameras actually do something other than just provide a video feed through the CC?
  • Turretts do not kill tanks very well.
  • So let me get this straight, cameras actually do something other than just provide a video feed through the CC?
    I believe in classic they "do something other than just provide a video feed through the CC" but... don't quote me.
  • Wow, a most useful post, thanks! :)