TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Support >  Video/game settings and you. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Video/game settings and you.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
45: March 30, 2012, 05:08:28 AM »
Hi there. Copy this and paste it into a new tesxt file, rename it as framskippa.cs, and copy it to your gamedata/base/scripts/autoexec folder. Run t2 and go into the scripts menu, find frameskippa and set it to 2 and see if that gives you any help. You have to have support.vl2 in the gamedata/base folder to run most scripts by the way.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
46: June 07, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
Just tried the 301.42 driver from nvid and the fxaa antialiasing mode now works in both t1 and t2 games. What this does is give you almost 4x antialiasing image quality without the performance hit. For cards with performance issues or to decrease latency it might be a good idea to get this driver and use the fxaa mode rather than fsaa or msaa. This is for Nvidia cards only. Works in other games as well. Games looked fine to me and no anomalies noted other than text was a little blurred unlike with fxaa forced in the 275 driver wich was a disaster.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:57:20 PM by Blakhart »
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
47: June 11, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »
More on fxaa:

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/03/nvidia-fxaa.html
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/gamedev/files/sdk/11/FXAA_WhitePaper.pdf

"If you have a GeForce card you might want to grab the latest batch of beta drivers from the Nvidia site. Nvidia say they’ll deliver a performance boost in Skyrim of up to 20%, which is nice, but the Nvidia FXAA functionality is perhaps a more interesting addition. That’ll allow us to force a faster form of anti-aliasing across hundreds of games from the Nvidia control panel. The new shader-based antialiasing function should help to smooth out edges at speeds “60% faster than 4xMSAA.”

The new drivers also add Adaptive Vsync. This monitors your framerates and switches vsync off when they start to dip, helping to maintain a consistent framerate with less stuttering."
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/10/nvidia-drivers-boost-skyrim-add-fxaa-shaders-adaptive-vsync-and-other-fancy-bits/
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
48: July 04, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
A word on dialup play:
If you are on dialup all is not lost. T1 was written to be played and played well at dialup rates. T2 is the descendant of T1 and shares this ability. To go a bit further than just setting the in game networking menu tab to 56k you can go into clientprefs.cs (found in GameData\base\prefs) and edit these lines after saving the original somehere safe in case you fooch things up:

$pref::Net::PacketRateToClient = "32"; //if ping starts to run away set to 20 or 16
$pref::Net::PacketRateToServer = "16"; //if ping starts to run away set to 14
$pref::Net::PacketSize = "200"; //this one is very important, set no higher than 256 when on dialup

The above is for dialup only. The downlink from the server to you offers more bandwidth than the uplink so try to run at 32, if the game still lags or ping increases after a time and stays that way reduce the rate to client to 29 or so. Reduce it a bit at a time till you find the max rate your modem can handle. Do the same for the uplink side, I find that 14 is about all a modem can handle, 16 may cause a ping race condition where it just gets higher and higher. Edit, save, serve, enjoy. You can use notepad to edit .cs files, but I prefer Tribal IDE found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tribalide/
rJay
Scout

View Profile
49: July 21, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
Dude. This is SO FREAKIN' helpful, that you need to have it penned. Thx so much!
rJay

EDIT: I meant pinned. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:47:27 PM by rJay »

Romans 1:16
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
50: September 23, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »
"I have an intel graphics chipset 128mb in my micro PC sooo...."

In light of the above specs and what they represent to the game we love, just keep in mind that t2 had as best possible target card a nvid gf3 - wich is a dx8 class card, so most onboard grafix devices made in the last few years should have similar or superior performance to the gf3 target card. T2 doesn't take a whole lot of card memory, and only about 60mb system memory use, it's a low spec game compared to what passes for 3d fps games today. The beauty of running t2 on newer video devices is that the raw processing and memory speed of the newer vid devices allows us to enable image quality enhancements that t2 sorely needs. Enhancments such as fsaa/msaa/fxaa and anisotropic filtering as I mentioned in the first posts of this thread. They make what the game devs gave us look the best they can. In the past, enabling these options would make vid cards crawl, but today most video output devices laugh at t2 texturing demands. So if you're not running a tnt2 or rage128, go ahead and enable them, t2 needs all the help it can get.

Specs on gf3 cards for those geeky enough:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_3_Series
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
51: December 07, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
A word on t2 and windows 8.

I have it on good authority that t2 does indeed play on 8, so hope is not lost for those with 8 systems. How it gets installed and started up I have no clue, however.
Heat Killer
Scout

View Profile
52: December 07, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
A word on t2 and windows 8.

I have it on good authority that t2 does indeed play on 8, so hope is not lost for those with 8 systems. How it gets installed and started up I have no clue, however.
Who's your authority? Tongue

Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
53: December 08, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
Someone who plays t2!
rJay
Scout

View Profile
54: December 09, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »
Smiley

Romans 1:16
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
55: June 07, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
A word on nvidia game profiles:
Game profiles are applets commonly found in most any current vid card control panel, at least those cards intended by the maker to have sufficient performance to play games. They provide for the ability to have separate game profiles for each game, and for the desktop as well. The desktop profile is the global setting, so you know. Anyway, these profile thingys are awesome since you no longer have to go and change vid card settings between games (if you did in the past) as the pc will alter them accordingly whenever you fire up the game or app or whatever you have made a game profile for. For instance, I can have the trheaded optimisation enabled in Tribes1, but in tribes2 it results in noticeable game stutter. So T1 can have it enabled and T2 can have it disabled and all I have to do is fire up either game.

Here is my example nvidia t2 profile:
(please keep in mind I am after image quality over fps in the following example)

Anisotropic Filtering; 16
Antialiasing-Gamma Correction; on
Antialiasing Mode; Override
Antialiasing Setting; 2
Antialiasing Transparency; Supersampling
Conformant Texture Clamp; Use Hardware
Error Reporting; Off
Extension Limit; Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames; 2
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration; Single display performance
Power Management mode; Prefer maximum power
Texture filtering-Anisotropic sample optimisation; Off
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias; Clamp
Texture filtering-Quality; High quality
Texture filtering-Trilinear optimisation; Off
Threaded optimisation; Off
Triple buffering; Off
Vertical synch; Force on

Now if I was after fps I would set the game profile up thusly:

FXAA; On
Anisotropic Filtering; 16
Antialiasing-Gamma Correction; off
Antialiasing Mode; Off
Antialiasing Setting; 2
Antialiasing Transparency; Off
Conformant Texture Clamp; Use Hardware
Error Reporting; Off
Extension Limit; Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames; 2
Multi-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration; Single display performance
Power Management mode; Prefer maximum power
Texture filtering-Anisotropic sample optimisation; On
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias; Clamp
Texture filtering-Quality; High performance
Texture filtering-Trilinear optimisation; On
Threaded optimisation; Off
Triple buffering; Off
Vertical synch; Force off

If your game profile does not provide for FXAA simply use the antialiasing settings in my good image quality example at the top there, but use msaa rather than ssaa, and from there down use the options after antialiasing in the high performance example.

Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
56: July 25, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
A word on cable Modems;

Cable innernets service is based upon the last come best served algorithm (lol). What that means is if your modem has been up for days, weeks, months, it has fallen to the back of the line as far as bandwidth and latency goes. The cable co is spreading the available bandwidth around to their oversubscribed customers with this mechanism. Oversubscription is where say you're an isp and you have bandwidth for say half the city at any one time. Well, half the city is likely doing other things than horsing around on the innernets, so everything runs ok and the customer never notices a slowdown, the company saves money on bandwidth, etc, untill more than half of the people get on line. Then everyone slows down. But with the last come best served algo, the last guy whose modem synched with the cable co will get best service till someone else comes along and bumps him down the line by resetting their modem. So, when gaming is important, it may pay to unplug the coax cable from the modem and let it sit till the synch lights and the rest go out, then plug back in. You will then be top dog at the cable isp service, at least for a while.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
57: November 29, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
A word on OS updates.
If you have your system, regardless of what OS you run, set to automatically update itself you may want to consider changing that setting. There have been instances where a system has automatically updated and then at the next boot the system failed and a bootloader had to be installed to recover the OS. One way around such issues is to set the system to inform you when updates are available buit do not install them. Then after the update has been out a few days or weeks and no mass reports of failure due to the update you might consider it safe to now update. If an update comes along and it fooches everyones systems you might want to not install that update. You don't have to feel bad for letting a few million others beta test all OS updates for you, consider them a blessing! Some update issues are hardware related to having specific hardware installed in any given update-problem system such as mobo or disk or even cpu, some update issues to specific OS settings. Regardless, when your system is fooched it is no fun. Just an idea and yes this stems from a recent (and past) OS update issue.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
58: February 03, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
A word in fine tuning the netstack;

"Because multimedia programs require more resources, the Windows networking stack implements a throttling mechanism to restrict the processing of non-multimedia network traffic to 10 packets per millisecond."

The above may indicate your os is limiting your gaming needlessly.

"By default, the value for the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry is set to 10. When the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry does not exist, the behavior resembles the default behavior. Network throttling can be completely turned off by setting the value to FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal). You must restart the computer after you make a change to the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry."

Nice M$ provided a means around this issue.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\
Name : NetworkThrottlingIndex
Value type : DWORD
Value data : From integer 1 through integer 70 (Decimal) (Decimal) "

The above is the regkey to look for.

So in summary;
Open regedit as admin
Find: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
Set value to FFFFFFFF, wich results in 0xFFFFFFFF displayed to the right of the entry, default value is 10.
Reboot

This is for Windows Vista, 7, etc and has offered at least some relief in lag spikes to some users.
Use at own risk, fooling around in registry can cost you if you don't know what you are doing or follow syntax.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
59: July 22, 2014, 05:47:45 AM »
A word on in-game issues;

If your game decides to go from full screen to windowed on its own, there may be an app trying to get focus running in the background. In such a case you might want to shut down any apps other than the game and see if that helps. Also, make sure you're not hitting keys by mistake whilst playing, making wierdness happen in the game.
For example, when I go to throw the flag I often toss a grenade, set my invo pref to medium armor antiaircraft turret pack, and never drop the flag - all due to my fat fumblefingers.

When faced with "lag" in game, make sure nothing else that could use the network is running when the game is running, or live with it. Otherwise see if the server is showing packet loss on your connection. If so, that isn't created by the server, it's a network issue. If it was a server or near-to-the-server networking issue everyone in the server would show packet loss and a high ping. To find out where that issue resides do a tracert;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute
Or do it the fun way;
http://www.d3tr.de/
This is an excellent networking tool, one of my favs and of course it's free.

So say you find some packet loss in your isp, well you can contact your isp and inform them of it and they might fix it. If it's outside your isp there's little to be done save for waiting for the net weather to change.
Innernet weather;
http://www.internetweathermap.com/
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/

If there's no packet loss or high or wandering ping, the "lag" issue likely resides in your system, something is upsetting the game and you need to find out what it is. (This barring any physical issues such as hot cpu or vid card, corrupt drive or memory, faulty mobo, or flaky psu.) Task manager is good for that, as are any number of other tools that do the same job.
Here's a fancy tool you can dl and use to investigate what's running on your pc;
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Also, do a virus/malware scan with updated signatures so you can rule out someone's n0t 5te4l1n yu0r m3g4hurtz lulz.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:05:45 AM by Blakhart »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines
anything