TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Support >  Video/game settings and you. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Video/game settings and you.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
60: August 15, 2014, 06:13:15 AM »
Some copy/paste clientprefs settings to try;

These go inside your clientprefs.cs file, simply copy/paste them directly into the file. First make a backup of your existing clientprefs in case you mess things up.

$pref::OpenGL::textureTrilinear = "1";
Copy paste intact.
The above tells t2 to do trilinear filtering on the game, makes for nicer image quality and doesn't hurt performance
This one isn't found in standard t2 clientprefs so you add this one to the file intact..

$pref::OpenGL::maxHardwareLights = "8";
Edit in prefs, it's already there.
If you have a recent vid card meaning in the last ten years or so you can bump the max hardware lights up to 8, this makes pretty lights render faster, most people have this set to 4 or less. This one is already in t2 so change the 4 or whatever it is to 8. Most recent (meaning the last ten years or so) vid cards seem to have a cap on 8 hardware lights.

$pref::sceneLighting::cacheLighting = 4;
This pref tells t2 to use the best image quality detail in scene lighting, set it to 4 wich is its max, the game comes with it set to 0.

$pref::sceneLighting::terrainGenerateLevel = 4;
This pref tells t2 to use the best image quality detail in terrain generation, set it to 4 wich is its max, the game comes with it set to 0.

$pref::TS::detailAdjust = "5";
This setting tells t2 how far away to make images at their best detail, it's set to 0 in default t2 installs meaning you don't get best detail unless you're right next to something. I set mine to 700 (wich hopefully is beyond the normal map fogging distance) and am enjoying much more detail, look at the detail on players after you change this setting, you should notice a definite improvement.
One effect is there's no more texture "popping" from low detail to highest when one gets closer to in game entities.
For example, the stone arches in circle of stones will no longer pop back and forth from low detail to high. This may reduce vid card memory traffic as the max detail textures are loaded and kept there rather than low detail and then popping to high detail as one draws near the object and vice versa.

All of these came from torque engine discussions at garage games forum, wich was founded by the guys who made t1 and t2 and starseige and a mess of other games. Torque is the t2 engine, wich is based on darkstar, the t1 engine.
And now you know!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:19:38 AM by Blakhart »
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
61: August 16, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
A word on smp.

Symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) involves a symmetric multiprocessor system hardware and software architecture where two or more identical processors connect to a single, shared main memory, have full access to all I/O devices, and are controlled by a single operating system instance that treats all processors equally, reserving none for special purposes. Most multiprocessor systems today use an SMP architecture. In the case of multi-core processors, the SMP architecture applies to the cores, treating them as separate processors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_multiprocessing

Now, the game loop in T2 is single threaded, it runs as a loop through the/a core once each frame and the results are displayed, to your horror or delight, upon your screen.... and up untill the mid 2000s all was normaly well and good in cpu land as to cache thrashing and context shifts, resulting in smooth gameplay.

But in the last few years smp (multicore) systems have become the norm rather than the rarity they once were. This multicore emergence has benefited computing as a whole...... but not older games utilising a single thread that were written when the typical home pc had a single core.

What happens when you run a latency-sensitive single threaded app (such as t1 and t2) on a multicore system is the os decides via a program called a scheduler what app to run, on what core to run it, and for how long and at what priority. Keep in mind the part about latency-sensitive apps, most apps can tolerate a lot of latency resulting from running on an smp system, sadly most fps games are not in that category.

This multicore latency usualy results from an os that really doesn't care about what app runs on what core and when.
If the app needed to be run and a core was available, the os would delete the app from the core it presently was cached in and run it on the available one, having to load the new cores cache and so on in preparation to running that app.

This core/cache thrashing presents a lot of ways latency can be increased, even if those latencies are billionths of a second. So to reduce the latency and performance hit, rational schedulers were developed that attempted to keep the same app on the same core, vastly reducing cache thrashing and context shifts and memory bus traffic and so on and so forth.

Things are much better since Vista (if you run M$ os), wich introduced to the commodity pc world the idea of a per processer run queue (inherited from Server2003) where the scheduler keeps (or tries to) an app in the same core(s) as much as possible and distributes the apps to all cores. However there are still things that can hamper that nice run queue such as another app at higher priority coming up that must be serviced by an already busy core running a lower priority app, meaning there will still be cache thrashing and memory bus traffic and context shifts.
Wich means latency is reduced from yesteryears os but not to the point a gamer would be unable to notice.
But all is not lost.
There are tools to reduce this such as imgconfig or batch files that can tell the os to use only one core and specify what core. These tools can be found in TN's faq section. So try those if you've a smp system and see if it improves your game.

For true nerds;
Scheduling;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduling_(computing)

Cache thrashing;
http://pomozok.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/cpu-cache-thrashing/

Context switching;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_switch

Ring levels;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_modes
GeEkOfWiReS1097
Nugget²

View Profile
62: August 19, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
SLI
If you have an sli system, meaning two or more vid cards installed (and I am talking nvid here as I have no experience with ati cards running crossfire), you can play t2 with sli enabled. You must enable sli in your control panel, and then go down and set the sli mode, either split frame rendering or alternating frame rendering. Split frame seems to offer more instant response to input from ouse and kb than alternate frame, and that is odd since split frame causes a lot more communication between the vid cards, meaning more latency is added, than if run in alternating frame mode. Pick one mode and see how it plays for you.
I've found that using either of SLI's frame modes on my Dual EVGA Superclocked Geforce GTX 660s will have black screen flickering if I use either of them. I'll retry in the near future, but I'd rather have visibility than flickering when going for the game winning cap... because it would be a major issue to convulse and have a seizure right as go to aim for the flag stand.

If your problem can't be solved, you haven't dug deep enough.
Avoid re-posting a question that has been answered and we can prevent forum clutter:
Search with me.
Ragora
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
63: August 19, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »
But all is not lost.
There are tools to reduce this such as imgconfig or batch files that can tell the os to use only one core and specify what core. These tools can be found in TN's faq section. So try those if you've a smp system and see if it improves your game.

For Linux users (like me), Plexor in the Linux thread suggested using the "taskset" command when running the game under WINE to force it to a single core. Otherwise it seems to crash eventually anyway.

If one is using PlayOnLinux, then they should have PlayOnLinux create a shortcut on their desktop and edit the shortcut to include the taskset command, at least that's how I always did it when I needed PlayOnLinux.

Not sure if this will fix the issue, but try running tribes on a single processor core:
Code:
taskset 0x00000001 wine Tribes2.exe -online
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:30:56 PM by Liukcairo »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Supposedly Einstein
GeEkOfWiReS1097
Nugget²

View Profile
64: August 20, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »
Okay, so I tried SLI again...
Screen flickering occurs on the login... and goes away after completing login.
The game begins to load...
And then the screen goes black and the infamous Windows Error ding goes off. Nvidia display is unable to continue and must close the application.

Avoid re-posting a question that has been answered and we can prevent forum clutter:
Search with me.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
65: August 20, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »
SLI
If you have an sli system, meaning two or more vid cards installed (and I am talking nvid here as I have no experience with ati cards running crossfire), you can play t2 with sli enabled. You must enable sli in your control panel, and then go down and set the sli mode, either split frame rendering or alternating frame rendering. Split frame seems to offer more instant response to input from ouse and kb than alternate frame, and that is odd since split frame causes a lot more communication between the vid cards, meaning more latency is added, than if run in alternating frame mode. Pick one mode and see how it plays for you.
I've found that using either of SLI's frame modes on my Dual EVGA Superclocked Geforce GTX 660s will have black screen flickering if I use either of them. I'll retry in the near future, but I'd rather have visibility than flickering when going for the game winning cap... because it would be a major issue to convulse and have a seizure right as go to aim for the flag stand.

One thing you can try is to set everything to off in the driver control panel, using the t2 game profile that you've of course made by now. Meaning antialiasing and anisotropic filtering is disabled, pretty much everything disabled. Then see if sli works in either mode. Then try with vsynch enabled. Also try with threaded optimisation off and on. Then start adding aniso and antialiasing untill it gets wonky again.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:43:13 AM by Blakhart »
GeEkOfWiReS1097
Nugget²

View Profile
66: August 20, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
SLI

One thing you can try is to set everything to off in the driver control panel, using the t2 game profile that you've of course made by now. Meaning antialiasing and anisotropic filtering is disabled, pretty much everything disabled. Then see if sli works in either mode. Then try with vsynch enabled. Also try with threaded optimisation off and on. Then start adding aniso and antialiasing untill it gets wonky again.
Brought it to bare bones and tried both profiles to no avail.
Looks like T2 will remain single-carded. I knew I got it to work on my previous Windows 7 install, but why it fails now is beyond me.

Search with me.
Ragora
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
67: August 20, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
SLI

Brought it to bare bones and tried both profiles to no avail.
Looks like T2 will remain single-carded. I knew I got it to work on my previous Windows 7 install, but why it fails now is beyond me.

Shouldn't matter much anyway unless it's a hassle to disable the necessary stuff just to run Tribes 2 and to re-enable afterwards. I mean, Tribes 2 was built for systems running P3's and I'm sure whatever video card you're running with SLI is way more powerful than anything they had available to consumers at the time Tribes 2 was released, so running on just one shouldn't even yield a difference for such an old game.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:28:56 AM by Liukcairo »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Supposedly Einstein
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
68: August 20, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
Try another driver?
GeEkOfWiReS1097
Nugget²

View Profile
69: August 20, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »
I get 300 FPS, so it really isn't a hassle.
I'd rather not go through another driver swaparoo. Last time I did that, my primary card blew for reasons unknown.

Search with me.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
70: September 03, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
A word on Excluded File Types and Locations

The other day my game refused to let me play in scp due to the anitcheat not being installed. That was odd as I have it installed and played previously. Geek of wires asked what av I use and I replied ms essentials and he said to check the excluded file types and locatiuons list, as a recent update to ms essentials possibly deleted/edited the list. And so it was, re-adding t2 to the list made the game playable. So if you suddenly find that you can no longer play when you've played before, check the excluded files list in your av. All praise emails should go to geek, all cash and/or pc parts should be sent to me.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
71: September 03, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »
A word on the game minimising by itself

Try this if you have win 7 or 8;
Open Task Manager and find: "wermgr.exe" (this is Windows Error Reporting Manager)
Press the start button and look for "Choose how to report problems", select it, select "Never check for solutions", close the menu
This may help.
If it doesn't, reenable this function.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:01:33 AM by Blakhart »
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
72: September 06, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
A word on sound glitches

So you're playing and you hit the jet button and suddenly instead of the usual jet sound you hear KPSHHHHHHHHHH maybe for as long as you have the jet button down. It may even happen when you obs someone jetting.
I'm confident this issue stems from t2 being run on a multicore pc, and you can reduce or eliminate the issue by setting t2's affinity to one core. The sound routine in t2 doesn't like to be thrashed from one core to another, especially when jetting apparently.
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
73: October 15, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
A note on the price of onboard sound.

Years ago I read that a good soundcard, meaning one that offloaded audio processing from the cpu, was worth around 300fps in games with a 3GHz cpu system compared to the same game with onboard, non hardware-accelerated sound, ie, ac97 audio codecs. This has stuck in my mind since, and became especially apparent after losing my soundblaster live 5.1 card in an os update or some other issue. No matter what I did the sound card wouldn't make sound. So I surrendered to the problem and uninstalled the live, enabled the onboard hidef audio in bios and installed its driver.

Sound enabled, but at what price?

My real issue stems from the fact that vista, wich I run on the game box as I am cheap, has never had real official sblive 5.1 support in drivers. Some websites devoted to modded drivers came up with a solution;
http://www.ngohq.com/modded-nvmixer-and-creative-driver/571-ngo-creative-modded-driver-for-sb-live-and-audig.html

So I used that driver and it worked fine for years untill the dread event wich claimed my hardware accelerated sound.
I run a live 5.1 since it, as the father of the legendary audigy card, has a emu 10k1 chip meaning decent hardware accelerated audio and a low noise floor. Also I have like a box of them somewhere and I am cheap to a fault.

So back to the issue with onboard sound.
The sound was fine for the most part but I could definitely see the price of that onboard sound was less smooth gameplay. Much twitchier, stuttery, very noticeable in t2. And audio glitches, not only in games but also in mp3 playing. Wtf is this crap, this is touted as hidef audio.

Anyway on a whim I decided to uninstall and disable the onboard sound and try another sblive card from the box.
Got the system up and installed the ngo sblive driver - but not without issue.
After installing the driver and rebooting, the driver was missing, the system was complaining, and I was pissed. So I went into device manager and told the sblive to update its driver by pointing it to the folder that the ngo driver installation routine had left on the c drive. Lo and behold it took and hardware accelerated, low noise floor sound was back, along with creamysmooth gameplay and nonglitching mp3 audio. Yay!

So, if you want the smoothest gameplay and are using onboard sound, you might consider an add in card, the payoff is better gameplay and maybe mp3 audio.
rJay
Scout

View Profile
74: October 16, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
You may believe your thread goes unnoticed. It has actually helped a lot. Thought I'd let you know.

Romans 1:16
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines