Sound not working anymore

This is the weirdest thing that happened to me, I started up tribes 2 today and suddenly the sound is not working anymore, or even detecting my sound card.

I checked on different installations and different games, and music software and my PC is absolutely fine. It's just tribes 2, on any installation that has this issue, and for no good reason. It worked before and I did not modify anything recently. This is happening on windows 7 64 bit and I can't do anything to restore my sound.

So does anyone have a clue to what could cause this? Reinstalling my drivers/tribes 2 will not help.

t2sound.jpg

Comments

• I was having the exact same problem in windows 8.1. I tried to copy over a backup of my install but that didn't work. I moved my original install to a different folder and then ran the tribes 2 installer and the tribes next patch and launched that and it worked. I moved that install to my desktop and then moved my original install back to C:\Dynamix and then tried to copy over the working install over my original install but that didn't work either. after that I just ran the Tribes 2 installer over the top of my original install and ran the tribes next patch again. I launched the game from my normal shortcut and that fixed the problem.

so long story short, try running the tribes2 installer over your original install and run the tribes next patch and see if that works. that fixed my finally.
    I hope this helps someone.
  • What audio device are you guys using? I had a similar issue with an add in card that wasn't supported by my os but drivers had been hacked to use it anyway. After removing all code relating to that add in card and reinstalling with another card of the same model (to rule out card failure) it worked for a time but eventually it stopped working completely so I removed the card. I resorted to the onboard sound wich so far has worked without issue. T2 has had sound issues for ages, some feel using Miles audio was a mistake, but there's another option that may be tried in some cases, if the following options show up as available try them all and see if it helps;
    Creative Labs EAX, Creative Labs EAX 2, DirectSound3D Hardware Support, Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio
  • This is the weirdest fix and problem, but following what you said, war_child I resolved the issue. I reinstalled the game but this game over my current tribes installation, same with the patch, installed it over the current patch folder. And when I launched it, the sound is now detected again (Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio), I can only select this but hey, it works.

So thank you very much for helping, I don't think I would had thought by myself to install the game again over my current install files just to fix a sound issue. So thanks!

Blakhart, I am using an onboard soundcard by realtek, used this all the time for years, before I could get this fixed I couldn't select anything in the tribes 2 sound options, now Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio is available. I just hope it doesn't decide to randomly stop working again.
  • I am using an Creative sound blaster X-fi add in card. everything was normal last week, made no changes in between this week and nothing showed up in tribes audio devices. when you click the drop down box it opens but there are no other choices in the box.

robertom2002, I would never have thougt of this for a solution either normally but when I moved my original install folder and then did a reinstall of tribes and the patch and it worked I figured I had nothing to lose by deleting the new install, copying my original install back to C:\Dynamix and then running the install and patch again.

Anyways, im glad it helped someone out. hopefully this will help others that are having the same issue.
  • I wonder if this is a corruption of t2 code or caused by the os, via an update or something else? As it seems system audio works other than in t2 when this happens it makes me think t2 "loses" some code relating to audio.
  • I have no idea, and the weird thing is that it's happening every time I restart my PC. I had to keep reinstalling tribes 2 but I'm getting sick of it, I wonder what weird thing happens behind the scenes that just makes the sound not detectable just in tribes 2.

I also tried to disable avast, my antivirus for a few minutes since I thought something was interfering with it, no success. Each time I restart my PC there is absolutely nothing to select in the tribes 2 sound menu, so to make it work each time I have to follow warchilds solution.

What does the tribes 2 installer do when you install it in the same folder? Does it set up some registry keys that makes the audio work or what?
    What part of installing tribes 2 makes the audio work? It can't be my scripts or preferences, the sound is always disabled at a restart no matter what. And I don't see how I have any issue with my drivers since reinstalling the game again and again does detect the sound eventually.
  • I finally found the issue after a lot of testing, apparently the file Mssfast.m3d from the GameData folder keeps being deleted for some reason and I have no idea why. So if anyone else has the problem you need to keep this file somewhere to copy it again in your gamedata folder if it get's deleted. And after that the sound will work, why does this happen? I have no idea.

I'll try again tomorrow after some PC restarts to see if this is really the cause, I didn't restart yet.
  • I finally found the issue after a lot of testing, apparently the file Mssfast.m3d from the GameData folder keeps being deleted for some reason and I have no idea why. So if anyone else has the problem you need to keep this file somewhere to copy it again in your gamedata folder if it get's deleted. And after that the sound will work, why does this happen? I have no idea.

I'll try again tomorrow after some PC restarts to see if this is really the cause, I didn't restart yet.
    I hope it is. You could keep a copy on hand to copy into the folder when you run the game no problem. Have a shortcut to gamedata and do it that way.
  • Maybe a registry cleaner like CCleaner, and deleting old/invalid registry keys will help?
    It might stop the files from being deleted.

You could uninstall T2 completely, run CCleaner, then do a fresh reinstall. It's not the same as a reformat, but it's not nearly as time consuming.

Though the newer versions of CCleaner has a PC monitoring start up function, and that should be turned off in the options.
  • Is t2 listed on the do not disturb list for your av? Just a shot in the dark here but something is deleting the sound file and I doubt the os is doing it on its own volition.
  • MetaDrax, I ran ccleaner to see if it does anything even before I tried reinstalling tribes 2, it did nothing to help me. Blakhart, my antivirus doesn't detect anything when I run tribes 2. BUT it does detect something in the tribes 2 installer when I run it, even when I got it from various sources, pretty sure it's a false positive.

I thought before that avast may be blocking something when the sound was not working, so I temporarily disabled it, it still didn't work. Maybe the antivirus deleted the Mssfast.m3d , but I'm not sure because there's nothing in the scan log or any confirmation that it did that.

Strangely the game works without any problems now... the file is not being deleted anymore. I don't even know what to say, it's so weird, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any virus installed. Maybe avast is just screwing around and blocking the game files without telling me, I don't know, but I'm glad the game works now.