TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Tribes 2 >  Mods and Customization >  Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still?
keen
Scout

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »
As the title says, anyone working on projects still? Would there be any interest in a new mod should it be developed?

Formerly DynaBlade
Radiant Alpha LLC - Home of Meltdown 1, 2, and Fury: Terminal Velocity
Tom R
Nugget

View Profile
1: April 15, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
As per the current T2RPG thread, I'm looking to do my own take provided at least two players show initial interest.  Perhaps it sounds insane given T2RPG's track record of dead end revival attempts, T2's lack of player base, and the availability of so many free(ish) engines that offer much more than T2 without requiring players to install multiple things (see Torque 3D, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, eventually Source 2, etc), but motivation is a funny thing.

That said, were you looking to make a mod?  What are you interested in seeing?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:20:08 PM by Tom R »
keen
Scout

View Profile WWW
2: April 16, 2015, 03:31:09 AM »
I was curious to see who else was around doing things, I'm building a new iteration of my old project (Meltdown 2) from scratch, so I wanted to see if there was more for completionist's sake, or any actual interest.

That being said, irc.tribalwar.com #tribesnext has a number of people that are still active in the community.

Formerly DynaBlade
Phantom139
Scout

View Profile WWW
3: April 16, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
I mainly toy around with my older projects from day to day whenever I'm not busy with other things.

I wouldn't really call it "working on a project" less than just messing around anymore. That being said, I haven't had anyone join my servers when I've hosted them for well over five months now so population is really low for the sake of building a new mod.

Bio:
Founder/Creator Phantom Games Development.
Tribes 2 Modder, T3D Owner and Developer
Site:
www.phantomdev.net
Ragora
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
4: April 16, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
That being said, I haven't had anyone join my servers when I've hosted them for well over five months now so population is really low for the sake of building a new mod.

I've stopped modding for a good year or so now for that reason.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Supposedly Einstein
Tom R
Nugget

View Profile
5: April 16, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »
Population is a problem, but so is the need for custom files.  A few people tried to join my test T2RPG server right away, then a few more since posting about it, but no one had the mod installed.  Most players will first discover a server via the in-game server list, so it's important to think from that angle.  Perhaps if it were clear where to get the mod and easy to install it, individual custom server populations wouldn't suffer so badly.

For example, joining a T2RPG server means:
  • Install T2
  • Install TN
  • Make a TN account
  • Find and install T2RPG (3 separate installers, by official downloads)
  • Launch via the T2RPG-specific .bat in \Tribes2\GameData\
  • Connect and hope you have the right versions
Even with TN already installed, that process is still ridiculous and obscure (where to download?  where to install?) for someone who clicked on a server and got kicked for "missing files" (or in T2RPG's case, redirected to a years-dead website).  If it instead gave a working URL that hosted a single installer with a good default path, then maybe a few people would bother.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:16:19 PM by Tom R »
Phantom139
Scout

View Profile WWW
6: April 16, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »
Even with TN already installed, that process is still ridiculous and obscure (where to download?  where to install?) for someone who clicked on a server and got kicked for "missing files" (or in T2RPG's case, redirected to a years-dead website).  If it instead gave a working URL that hosted a single installer with a good default path, then maybe a few people would bother.

I actually changed that message in my server and it had no effect whatsoever, I still had like three people attempt a connect, got kicked and never saw from them again.

Bio:
Site:
www.phantomdev.net
keen
Scout

View Profile WWW
7: April 16, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
According to my database stats, I've had 170 unique accounts connect to my alpha server. I will eventually go clientside, but for the time being getting into the game and letting people explore makes a server population much more willing to hang around. This is mostly moot though, as I'm not sure how to really do a serverside T2RPG.

Formerly DynaBlade
Tom R
Nugget

View Profile
8: April 16, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
I actually changed that message in my server and it had no effect whatsoever, I still had like three people attempt a connect, got kicked and never saw from them again.

There will always be people like this.  I meant making it easy for the people who would bother if it's easy enough.

This is mostly moot though, as I'm not sure how to really do a serverside T2RPG.

Cyberpunk RPG with a horrifying mass of default DIFs as a futuristic city/space ship? Tongue
Phantom139
Scout

View Profile WWW
9: April 16, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »
I kind of tried to get a server-side RPG mod going as an extension to my Powers Mod I made back in 08-09, but I never really got past the basics for it.

The "feel" of the mod kind of deflected my attempts to make it into a RPG mod, it was meant more-so for fast paced combat with the RPG element laid over it to spice things up, alas to each their own.

Bio:
Site:
www.phantomdev.net
soapiper
Nugget

View Profile
10: November 12, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »
I'm not working on a new project, but I am reviving shifter and plan to setup a 24/7dedicated server soon.  Right now its just running when my comp is on.
Scaled_One
Seņor Nugget

View Profile
11: November 13, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm working on a project so much as continually sketching then crumpling ideas for a tribes2 machinima.
kyred
Nugget

View Profile
12: December 23, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »
I'm doing....something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXAOQHaIzI
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
13: December 23, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Zergon rolls 2d4!
LouCypher
Nugget

View Profile
14: January 04, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
I continue working on my IFC22 replacement, adding shit and playing around with things. It has a lot more stuff in it that the one posted to my web page, but nothing ready for prime time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines
anything