TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  General Discussion >  Would it be wise to contact hirez and ask to submit t2 to gaming sites? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Would it be wise to contact hirez and ask to submit t2 to gaming sites?
Chocotaco
Nugget

View Profile
15: September 19, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
Right, so email hirez and ask them if they'd put t1 and t2 and maybe starseige on steam?

You can if you want. I personally have better things to do.

({STAR})earthinhabitant
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
16: September 20, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
i think, it is best to wait for a response from Thyth, as no comment, could be interpreted, as a"don't give a hoot" from Thyth or for the sake of clarity, would recommend contacting Thyth and asking to read thread and/or if it is okay with Thyth and if contacting hi rez could negatively impact us all... really horrible imo, for any game to take master servers down...as clearly it is attempt to get purchases of next generation versions, though very low blow, for any company to do so...as no longer supporting it, is one thing, trying to shelve it, is another.

Think whomever does contact hirez, would be best to maybe go over the proposal letter here and let us all comment and make sure dotting all eyes and crossings all the tees...with maybe a list of all the players name, who support putting it on steam, like be it only 25 names, that is more than they have employees possibly...and really this would be very, very good for Hi-Rez by putting up their legacy collection and releasing back on line and really, would be so nice, if they bring it back functioning the way it was before, with in game browser and tmail, buddy list and spam some news at us on what they got going on and all...lol, maybe even put the forums back in game haahah

Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
17: September 20, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
The short answer is that this is never going to happen.

We distribute the original freeware Tribes 2 installer from the FilePlanet Tribes Vengeance launch free-key promotion in 2004, and a completely separate automated patch file that adds interoperability with the TribesNext server listing, account, community, and match-making systems.

Current US copyright case law suggests that under this model neither piece by itself represents distribution of a derivative work (am not lawyer or your lawyer, this is not legal advice). The onus is on the user to break their T2 EULA by installing the patch, and once you combine the pieces, things get a lot more radioactive. Does distributing that combined artifact constitute distribution of a derivative work? Probably. Will you get sued by Vivendi/Sierra/Dynamix/GarageGames/HiRez, or whoever happens to own the IP of the game at the time? No idea, but it's stupid to consider it.

Also keep in mind that the TribesNext patch is a copyrighted work of the TribesNext team. While we distribute it as freeware, and some parts of the patch are made available as source code, it is NOT public domain, or "free" as in the "free/libre software" definition. Some of the internal source files are labeled as GPL, but these have been granted special licensing exception for TribesNext from the principal author (i.e. me). In short: don't ship derivative works of the TribesNext patch without our authorization, because you will (probably) be running afoul of the TribesNext team's copyrights. This is has multiple purposes: protecting the community from accusations of copyright infringement by the Tribes 2 IP holders, protecting individuals from inadvertently exposing themselves to personal liability, and making sure we're involved in any kind of officially licensed "remaster" of Tribes 2 that might want to use our code or player databases.

The brutal reality also is that the game is about 16 years old now, with more of its lifetime (~9 years vs ~7 years) spent under TribesNext stewardship than the original master server and account system. Putting it on Steam or advertising it on other sites is not going to lead to any major or sustained increase in player counts. The gaming ecosystem has moved, and outside of retro gaming enthusiasts, nobody cares, or can be made to care through awareness. Even the Mid-Air guys are going to struggle with their modern reboot attempt of the FPS+Z genre.

I'll be keeping systems on my end up for the foreseeable future, since it basically doesn't cost me anything to do so, but if you really want to breathe life into this kind of game: build an easily accessible Tribes clone that pares things down to the bare essence of what made it awesome, and start investing in a future instead of the past. APIs for building games in modern web browsers are more than enough to make something amazing that people could start playing with a click of a URL -- no installation of anything required. If someone builds a click and go indie-style essential FPS+Z, they might have a chance to build something cool, and really get momentum. Anything less won't meet table stakes.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
tribak8
Nugget

View Profile
18: September 20, 2017, 11:08:42 PM »
Now there is  no one no doubt what is the answer Cheesy

Jeśli interesuje Cie skuteczne oczyszczanie jelit to zapraszam na stronę
({STAR})earthinhabitant
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
19: September 21, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »
Sounds good Thyth, would be interested in working with a team of developers, and build the next best thing...ask them to PM me here and will get back with them.   Tongue

I went to hi-rez site and was nothing about tribes on it, that I could see, like they have abandon tribes or maybe have sold it?

rJay
Scout

View Profile
20: September 21, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
No. No one sold Tribes 2 and nothing's abandoned. This whole thread was kinda...like...we've all been over this a dozen times already. I read nothing new in this thread whatsoever, and it doesn't take a lawyer to tell you that no you cannot distribute what isn't your's even without you making a profit. Period. And making an alternative isn't Tribes 2... just get on SCP or Snap LAK and play.

Romans 1:16
({STAR})earthinhabitant
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
21: September 22, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »
No. No one sold Tribes 2 and nothing's abandoned. This whole thread was kinda...like...we've all been over this a dozen times already. I read nothing new in this thread whatsoever, and it doesn't take a lawyer to tell you that no you cannot distribute what isn't your's even without you making a profit. Period. And making an alternative isn't Tribes 2... just get on SCP or Snap LAK and play.

Well tribesnext has done great wonders for the game..one that was intended to be shutdown for life, by IP owners..
While the released it as freeware, that is great, as that is really do not need any more rights to distribute it, as already have those rights...i think, maybe not for profit, as not sure, not planning on profiting, any...more the other way around.

If everyone notes the topic...contact hi-rez about putting on gaming sites, with permission, was the subject matter... as consideration for other ways and means, clearly open for discussion.

I ran across tribes2 download on gaming site yesterday and had like 9 star rating, with 2 rating it, i was the 3rd and now it has 10 star rating...hahah...

So besides steam, there are hundreds of gaming sites, that we could and can promote gameplay, as goal is to attract more players...

Ask chocotaco, been doing my part and spamming tribesnext.com in quake2 and actually was considering talking to some of the clans and players about a Tribes2 and Quake2 scrim, as tribes 2 community or star challenges quake2 players to a match of tribes2 and Q2.

this could work for lot of games, including T:A of course, and the tribes1 and any other game that compares and who knows, may be a revival happening with some converts who instead of playing q2 and t:a and other games, to start hitting the tribes 2 field.

Cool

Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
22: September 22, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »
Ffs just email hirez and ask them to put tribes on steam already.
({STAR})earthinhabitant
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
23: September 22, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
Ffs just email hirez and ask them to put tribes on steam already.

that is what, i was going to do, before started this thread...
Was just looking and seeing they are hiring for help with smite and ascend...

Aug 23, 2017 - Hi-Rez Studios is now hiring a SQL Server Developer in Alpharetta, GA. ... Come join the creator of the critically acclaimed SMITE, Paladins & Tribes: Ascend ... Work with programmers to develop and optimize queries used by ...
Hi-Rez Studios SQL Server DBA Job in Alpharetta, GA | Glassdoor
https://www.glassdoor.com/.../sql-server-dba-hi-rez-studios-JV_IC1155582_KO0,14_...

Hi-Rez Studios is now hiring a F SQL Server DBA in Alpharetta, GA. ... acclaimed SMITE, Paladins & Tribes: Ascend,as we embark on exciting new game projects! ... Science or Information Technology; Knowledge of reporting and query tools.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines
anything