When using jet pack I get a static sound sometimes ????

Just wondering if anyone else gets this. Don't know if its a thing to live with or can be fixed.

Comments

• It's an old bug with T2's sound code. Various sounds (not just the jet pack) can become corrupted like this.

Though, I'm not aware of any way to address it.
  • edited January 2018
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's some buffer/compression artifact connected to the rate the audio driver is updated, but I haven't looked into it at all. I had noticed it occurring regularly on my laptop a few years back, but rarely if ever encountered the same issue on my desktop.

You might try dropping IndirectSound in your GameData directory and changing the provider to DirectSound3D in the in-game settings. This is basically a DirectSound->XAudio2 wrapper that'll fake a hardware provider, so you can have an alternative to the Miles positional driver and theoretically have marginally better support through Microsoft's sound libraries. The game engine is still responsible for interfacing that driver and updating the audio sources, so it might not help at all, but it's worth a shot.
  • If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's some buffer/compression artifact connected to the rate the audio driver is updated, but I haven't looked into it at all. I had noticed it occurring regularly on my laptop a few years back, but rarely if ever encountered the same issue on my desktop.

You might try dropping IndirectSound in your GameData directory and changing the provider to DirectSound3D in the in-game settings. This is basically a DirectSound->XAudio2 wrapper that'll fake a hardware provider, so you can have an alternative to the Miles positional driver and theoretically have marginally better support through Microsoft's sound libraries. The game engine is still responsible for interfacing that driver and updating the audio sources, so it might not help at all, but it's worth a shot.

Installed it we'll see what happens. Thanks! :) It doesn't do it all the time but it can get annoying when it does.
  • I would try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete, opening the Task Manager, going to the Processes window, right-clicking the Tribes 2 process and then setting the affinity to one core of your CPU.
  • I would try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete, opening the Task Manager, going to the Processes window, right-clicking the Tribes 2 process and then setting the affinity to one core of your CPU.

I remember doing this before for the game to run good in the past. Maybe with my 5960X it might have some effect on the game...lol. I"ll give this a try also.

Thanks! :)
  • If I had to guess, I'd imagine it's some buffer/compression artifact connected to the rate the audio driver is updated, but I haven't looked into it at all. I had noticed it occurring regularly on my laptop a few years back, but rarely if ever encountered the same issue on my desktop.

The above methodology is Blakhart approved.

The above methodology is Blakhart approved.

It seems to be working ........... Thanks guys! :)