What is the difference between Tribes 1 and Tribes 2?

Yeah what is the difference? I have had people saying that they are not the same which is strange sicne they are a sequel right? Shoudl I start playing Tribes 1 also?

Comments

• You are not missing much, tribes 1 is fairly similar to t2. just more basic.
  • T2 is based on the game engine that debuted in T1 with updates to include pixel shading to the dx8 extent, T1 being a DX6 game, more or less. T2 was actualy to be the _update_ for T1, politics and marketing departments aside. So physics are similar, as is the mod/scriptability. Think of T2 as a graphics and slight networking code update of T1. There are major game differences like the way you use invos and certain other game aspects, but the games are very similar at the core.
  • T1 - Darkstar
    T2 - v12
    Were the later T2 upadates TGE?
  • The physics of T1 are crisper. It's hard to describe... but even after all of these years of playing T2. I still feel that way.
  • T1 was much faster, if you watch that synergy video in my other post, then watch a T2 "Cappers life", you will see the HUGE difference. T1 was the first ever FPS online I played an it has yet to be surpassed as far as I am concerned.
  • updates to include pixel shading
    You wish. Although it may have used some DirectX 8 features, PS1.0 support was not one of them. The closest it has to that is bump mapping.
  • I think that if you don't have shaders in your hardware you don't get the bump mapping you speak of, so.
  • I always thought T1 felt more "gamey" by being too fast and rigid. Where, T2 seems more fluid and the weapon projectile physics respond cleaner to your players' movement... It's always made more sense to me...

Not only that, but no matter what the graphic settings, T1 grounds MORPH and change close up and that is retarded, I'm always smacking the front of some unforseen hill. I haven't seen a T2 ground do that close up, only at a distance.
  • T1 never did that to me...

Big differences I note between T1 and T2 are mostly nitpicky game enhancements, like moving invo to a keypress and the actual loading a more or less instantaneous thing, ground vehicles and the bomber, missile launcher locks on (and won't dumbfire unless underwater), they brought over and changed the structure of some of the old maps too (like Broadside/Blastside losing elevators).

I think T2 looks slightly better, like textures looking better when you stare really close at them, but I think that's kinda moot when you're flying around killing things.
  • On the morphing thing, you have to keep in mind that a common system a propective tribes gamer had back in 98 was a p133 and maybe a tseng labs isa vid card, if he or she was lucky. So morphing was a must or the hardware stumbles. You can set each map to not morph at all, or only to your specs. You can also run a script serverside to disable morphing in every map or set all maps to your pref. But even if you disable morphing and play with today's hardware, it lags the game. I wonder why, maybe due to some caching or bsp algo. T2 doesn't have this issue, and it may be the reason why t2 seems so slow compared to t1, even t2 ultra mods don't seem to register gamestate like t1 does.

T1 was written for glide, with opengl added as an afterthought. So if you had a voodoo card, you played T1 in all it's glory at over 25fps, and it looked a lot better in glide than opengl. Ubercooler was voodoo sli wich netted some 45fps or thereabouts. Disabling morphing would likely get your voodoo sli 10 fps. Just one reason of many to prefer t2 over t1, although I do enjoy a good t1 match.

Too bad 3dfx is gone save for the engineers who left 3dfx for nvidia.
  • I miss 3DFX :-\ Was definatly ahead of its time.
  • edited February 2009
    I always thought T1 felt more "gamey" by being too fast and rigid. Where, T2 seems more fluid and the weapon projectile physics respond cleaner to your players' movement... It's always made more sense to me...

Not only that, but no matter what the graphic settings, T1 grounds MORPH and change close up and that is retarded, I'm always smacking the front of some unforseen hill. I haven't seen a T2 ground do that close up, only at a distance.

If you ever play Interstate 76(Mechwarrior 2 engine) on semi modern hardware, you'll see that it does this also. It has to do with the fact that the developers of these old engines never intended for the viewable distance to exceed the hardware draw distance . Which happens when you increase the viewable distance\ cut back on fog. You can see the game engine literally drawing terrain in front of you.

Of course I guess its equivalent to the modern plague of draw-in or texture popping in the UT3 engine. I could be wrong though and that could be attributed to poor coding.