Satchel Pack? Love or Hate?

Tell us all what you think of it, and how you use it or why you don't.

I like to use it myself, though i get impatient too often! Or I forget, think I have a repari pack on, and blow myself up.

Comments

• Vaguely useful on maps with double-generators and massive underground tunnels connecting the bases. If nobody is watching the tunnels you could sneak one in, blow both gens at once (mines/nades on one, ELF/gun the other, then run and detonate) and GTFO but honestly why not put that much effort into something more useful?

If you're bored you can hide it just next to the flag where I can blow it and splatter someone the instant after they grab it but even then it's just an amusement kill. I can't really think of anything it does that something else doesn't do better barring suicide runs on something important that must die RIGHT NOW and is defended too well for shooting.
  • turhuhuhur. because it's FUN.

i used to use the satchel on katabatic way back when i first started playing tribes. I'd ninja into the enemy base and blow the gens with it, rape the invs and mine the place up. Of course, I'd get killed about 80% of the time before even getting to the gens, but I just thought the satchel was hilariously cool. I'm gonna go do this on branzone later.
  • its eerily good on abbaddon's flag stand
  • Satchel is not so much good on ctf, but it can be EXTREMELY useful for siege.

Defensively, a lot of players leave satchels right behind force fields, so when the gen goes down and the offense rushes in, they det-kill the first wave of unsuspecting intruders.

For the offense, I like to use satchels in two ways:
    1) Keeping gens down longer: leave a satchel at a dead gen in a not easily noticed place, watch for when the gen gets reenabled and det the pack. People will catch on eventually and in some cases directly gaurding the downed gen is better, but this can buy some well needed time.
    2) Chaos gen blow. This works a ridiculous number of times. You have a position that's really well guarded indoors, but the gen only needs to be down for a few seconds (last generator?). It's pretty certain you'll get roasted if you try and attack directly, but a light with a satchel can often fly in during some confusion, chuck a satchel, and bounce around just long enough to arm and det the charge before someone finishes him off. Then it's just up to your team to secure the switch.

I guess you could also use it to do timing and take down two gens at once, but that really doesn't work too well because it's very likely on a pub that one of your teammates will unknowingly blow the gen and waste your charge.
  • If you have played on goons with me...well, you should know how I feel about the satchel. On vehicle maps with inventories on the pad, it is very effective. Take a shrike, fly somewhat high, point the nose at the vech pad, jump out, throw the satchel, throw some grenades and run. Detonate satchel. Then, come back and blow some mores stuff up with the plasma gun/disc. This is especially effective if you can coordinate yourself to hit right before a bombing run. Its hilarious to watch and makes the enemy team very mad :). Its seriously mass chaos. I accidently hit right as somebody bombed, I swear I've never seen so many explosions in my life. I also use it on maps where they have minimal bases that you can get to the gen room by jumping out of a shrike and landing in one of the elevated 'doors'.

In case you haven't noticed, I enjoy annoying and distracting the other team. :P
  • Hehe now that you mention it I've done that several times. It can take people a few times before they start to expect it and handle things properly.
  • My favorite is when the shoot missles at my shrike right as its about to hit then ground. Even funnier watching somebody think they're doing a good job defending just to watch their missle hit their own v pad...
  • I saw one used to good effect earlier as a way of dealing with a heavy on flag defence, send two flagrunners one with a satch and have the first one go bang right before the second one comes in.
  • Yeah, problem is getting coordination like that on a pub is pretty much impossible. Its a very useful pack as long as you think it out as to where you are going to put it. One I want to try is putting it right under a v station and waiting until theres a huge lineup at the station and detonating. Lots of kills, lots of angry people. Lots of me laughing.
  • Hate it when I am about to grab the flag and they use it on me.

Two direct nades, problem solved.
  • Love using it on base rapers, watch what way they are coming in and plant it there and wait lol marvelous (vgw)

Two direct nades, problem solved.

Just fire 2 nades at it? Thanks, that will help me.
  • Minatour
    Satchel + Whiteouts
    ???
    Profit!
  • satchel is quite hilarious when SnappleWear uses it in arena.
  • If you have played on goons with me...well, you should know how I feel about the satchel. On vehicle maps with inventories on the pad, it is very effective. Take a shrike, fly somewhat high, point the nose at the vech pad, jump out, throw the satchel, throw some grenades and run. Detonate satchel. Then, come back and blow some mores stuff up with the plasma gun/disc. This is especially effective if you can coordinate yourself to hit right before a bombing run. Its hilarious to watch and makes the enemy team very mad :). Its seriously mass chaos. I accidently hit right as somebody bombed, I swear I've never seen so many explosions in my life. I also use it on maps where they have minimal bases that you can get to the gen room by jumping out of a shrike and landing in one of the elevated 'doors'.

In case you haven't noticed, I enjoy annoying and distracting the other team. :P

Lol this sounds like something fun to try, I think you've blown me up a few times.

As for the guy who said to throw 2 grenades before grabbing the flag.. well for me, flares are a must, either way I haven't found anyone who could satchel their own flag well enough.
  • I love the Satchel Charge.

I live to annoy other people!
  • At the best of times you can only nullify one other position.
    at the worst you are a waste of space.

Not really a good tactical position if you ask me.

I do like the idea of satchelling the HoF, and the VPad, but in terms of keeping a vpad down, a HO(or MO) is likely to have more success and for a longer period of time than a LO with no pack.
    in terms of disrupting a HoF, often you don't need that much firepower to nullify him, and a satcheller also can be BB'd or just sniped on incoming, not to mention the satchel MUST kill the HoF to be effective..
  • Very useful! If you have skills, you can defend flag almost alone against three separate cappers who comes from different or same direction under 10 seconds. It does not work just by sitting somewhere and blowing up but you need to time and get their tactics and adapt that.
    Important thing is to know the blast radius so you can calculate the range what you can blow up and this way even get two cappers one time when they do a run together. Like allow the first one to get flag, move littlebit forward almost outside of blast area so the other capper is coming to area too and then blow it up, so you kill the carrier but you push the other capper direction out so she/he can not get the flag right away. Then use other weapons on that.

For defence it is great weapon. It needs patience but hey... you can get two juggernauts down easily when suprised. But it is one of the best weapons for team attack when there is separated generator defending force field etc. Just place it to gen so you can get it down when needed and just when the main attack happens, blow gens away and you gain 1-2 seconds time when enemy focus to think that gens are down and someone need to repair it/them.

I love the way how the satchel works. You have few seconds arming time and then few seconds trigger time. And what is very important, is that when the satchel is armed, you can destroy it without actually blowing the satchel but the weapon. So you can make confusion when attacker trigger it and nothing happens (if he does not notice the icon on screen it has destroyed).

To make fools of the cappers, place motion becon to wall, shoot one disk to it. Then place satchel top of it. Capper miss this first time but notices it and try to shoot it second time. But because satchel takes two disk to blow it up and motion sensor has already damaged, the first disk destroys the motion sensor what keeped satchel away from ground and other disk what capper shooted believing it saves his/her life, just hits the wall while satchel is on ground and you can just enjoy the pieces what flies! ;-)

On tight situations be a juggernaut with satchel. Again understand the blast radius and you can easily survive your own blast while enemy believes there ain't satchel because you would not blow your self up...

One fun thing is to place the satchel on the enemy flag and wait that their capper comes to place flag to their flag and you blow it up and others returns the flag.

Use it for midfield purposes, place it to ground and get enemy to fly on that place and blow up... Place it near remote base where they attack on your mainbase and make massive damage to them.
    Usually it is better to choose make great damage to all/most enemies than try to kill one or few of them. Then others can more easily to kill them.

Best rounds I have kept flag in base with Satchel against seven cappers. All coming in 20 seconds and used three satchel on that time, while killing few of them with disk/missile and GL. They only got one touch to it, so you could easily shoot flag to more secure place. Thats why the timing is important to allow capper in multiple capper -situations to touch flag to remove it from it's stand and then use it as advantage for it's defence.
  • In all but a few situations, the satchel charge is completely worthless against anyone who has any idea what they're doing. At best it can be effective occasionally.

If you satchel a flag, someone could still hit it at too fast a speed for you to time the detonation command properly, or someone could blow it up, or it could end up in prime position to TK a bunch of defense. Also, if two cappers are prepared for this tactics, they can go around the same time, and you'll kill the first one and miss the second one.

The best place for the satchel charge is in the hands of the Siege gametype. Since one touch of the switch ends your defense, you need to take out the enemy by any means necessary. On Gauntlet and Alcatraz, where the switch is wide open, you'll want to throw one on the switch. It can also be effectively used at chokepoints, but you need to make sure that actually defending it wouldn't be a better idea, and that it's not in a place to be blown up. As with CTF, a team prepared for satchels would send one player around a corner at a time to trigger it (and most Siege experts will hesitate when going around a corner if someone is ahead of them).

One of the major disadvantages is that you lose use of a pack. Outdoors, where an energy pack would be great for chasing, and indoors, where a shield pack would be great for combat and a repair pack would be great for repairing things. Because of this, you damn well better make sure that a satchel is really the best use of your time.

Also, satchel charges will not kill a fully shielded medium or heavy. In fact, it doesn't even take out their full shield.

• Very useful! If you have skills, you can defend flag almost alone against three separate cappers who comes from different or same direction under 10 seconds. It does not work just by sitting somewhere and blowing up but you need to time and get their tactics and adapt that.
    Important thing is to know the blast radius so you can calculate the range what you can blow up and this way even get two cappers one time when they do a run together. Like allow the first one to get flag, move littlebit forward almost outside of blast area so the other capper is coming to area too and then blow it up, so you kill the carrier but you push the other capper direction out so she/he can not get the flag right away. Then use other weapons on that.

For defence it is great weapon. It needs patience but hey... you can get two juggernauts down easily when suprised. But it is one of the best weapons for team attack when there is separated generator defending force field etc. Just place it to gen so you can get it down when needed and just when the main attack happens, blow gens away and you gain 1-2 seconds time when enemy focus to think that gens are down and someone need to repair it/them.

I love the way how the satchel works. You have few seconds arming time and then few seconds trigger time. And what is very important, is that when the satchel is armed, you can destroy it without actually blowing the satchel but the weapon. So you can make confusion when attacker trigger it and nothing happens (if he does not notice the icon on screen it has destroyed).

To make fools of the cappers, place motion becon to wall, shoot one disk to it. Then place satchel top of it. Capper miss this first time but notices it and try to shoot it second time. But because satchel takes two disk to blow it up and motion sensor has already damaged, the first disk destroys the motion sensor what keeped satchel away from ground and other disk what capper shooted believing it saves his/her life, just hits the wall while satchel is on ground and you can just enjoy the pieces what flies! ;-)

On tight situations be a juggernaut with satchel. Again understand the blast radius and you can easily survive your own blast while enemy believes there ain't satchel because you would not blow your self up...

One fun thing is to place the satchel on the enemy flag and wait that their capper comes to place flag to their flag and you blow it up and others returns the flag.

Use it for midfield purposes, place it to ground and get enemy to fly on that place and blow up... Place it near remote base where they attack on your mainbase and make massive damage to them.
    Usually it is better to choose make great damage to all/most enemies than try to kill one or few of them. Then others can more easily to kill them.

Best rounds I have kept flag in base with Satchel against seven cappers. All coming in 20 seconds and used three satchel on that time, while killing few of them with disk/missile and GL. They only got one touch to it, so you could easily shoot flag to more secure place. Thats why the timing is important to allow capper in multiple capper -situations to touch flag to remove it from it's stand and then use it as advantage for it's defence.

nothing in this post would work against even 1-2 players that had a clue to what they're doing.
  • RB10 will sometimes use satchels on his flag and it's annoying, but eventually I figure a way around it (shoot it or use a vehicle for speed).

One time on Kata, I was screwing around with a couple guys (2 vs me [+bots]) and Tesla had my flag. I put a satchel on his flag and then went to go hide. When he got close, BOOM! Went and returned my flag and grabbed his.

Satchel is best for screwing around or very few certain situations. I voted hate! :D
  • edited April 2009
    Kids: T2 has other modes than CTF. It is bad for CTF, for many of the reasons stated here:

Satchel is for siege. Satchel is very good sometimes in siege for the reasons i've mentioned before. Games have been won from good satchel use. It has a purpose, it just happens for ctf that it's often easily defeated or overkill. Then again:
    There is no kill like overkill

Just remember: some of the best stories come from being in the right place with the wrong loadout and making an on the spot decision :) I think there was this one crazy time where I took the flag as a cloaker to prevent them capping or some such, I'm sitting there thinking "this is a bad idea" then some guy tries to ram me on a grav bike. Out of desperation I jump up and try and lance it. A second later, instead of being dead, I'm instead INSIDE the vehicle. What had apparently happened is I backlanced him a second before being hit, and popped into the grav cycle. I happily then drove back to the base and capped.

The point is: when you think to much into "this loadout is only good for this and this" you miss out on these fun frustration attempts.
  • Words alone cannot describe the sadistic fun one can have with the Satchel.

ks-69-killed%20with%20satchel%20charge_sm.gif

;D
  • Today I saw someone actually do something useful with the satchel - We were playing on Firestorm, and there was a flag stand-off, and despite numerous attempts we couldn't manage to bring the bacon back home because of clever force field gayness and a swarm of defenders.

So, eventually while I'm flying around the enemy base trying to nail their FC yet again, I hear the omnious ti-ti-BOOM, and suddenly the enemy flag carrier is in itsy bitsy pieces all around the map - Turns out a teammate had brought a satchel along and was stalking the enemy capper from the underside platform, waiting for the FC to venture on the wrong side of the forcefield ;D.
    Might not be the most useful in SERIOUS BUISNESS games among the MAD SKILLZ players, but I thought it was a clever and nice move in this match among a bunch of generic pubs.
    And there are some maps where you could destroy invstations and other stuff but i like it ,it's so much fun .It's like cloaking and sl people at vstations .
    ...Or you could go heavy and destroy inventories and shit x 10 with your mortar instead.

But i digress, satchel booby traps can be fun fun, but I don't think it's generally a very effective way to play. Even if you'd bring a remote invo out there somewhere for fast reloading it will only take so many ka-booms before people start figuring you out. Well, I guess the same goes for cloaking too, in general, tho.
  • i dont mind it, unless some tard uses it for flag defense. its so easy to get the flag vs a team with satchel defense, and so annyoing beeing the defender in such a team....
  • It can be good for shits and giggles ala yt challenge, but other than that you can do everything that the sachel can do with plasma, except for killing groups of people, but then you can just get a mortar and toss a few mines, and your mortar will kill ayone.
  • I like it, it make big boom.
    I've personally never found a strategic way to use it except in Minotaur? I like crawling around those little paths attempting to blow the hell out of people. :)
    Plus the name of thread has my name. xD
  • Satchels are a reasonable and effective way of using your time to waste theirs when you've got nothing better to do and are getting in the way of everyone else on your team. A satchel is a lot like a single disc, you're not overly likely to kill too many people with it but at the very least you'll get the more easily distracted ones a bit excited about it.

If you accomplish anything significant great, if not.... you spend a few seconds respawning after grabbing the attention of the other team briefly.

Personally I think one determined light or medium with a sensor jammer pack can do a LOT more damage than someone with a satchel charge.
  • I always wanted someone to mod satchels and make them more like sticky bombs. Watch as the enemy finally gets their mpb into place, or throw one on somebody's back right before they cross a force field into their own base, or that damned tank that keeps harrassing yer base - they would be more fun then, and much more useful. Personally, I've never really cared for satchels when I'm capping, but it's not hard to get around them so unless I'm just distracting for a better capper or someone in a better position I usually only die once or twice to them. I just started playing siege, so I'll try to retain what was shared for the next time I do.